Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951260 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1625 on: 13 August, 2011, 11:06:54 pm »
Battlestar Galactica - The Plan

Better than expected. Very predictable plot but still fun to watch.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #1626 on: 13 August, 2011, 11:15:38 pm »
Murder in the first - recorded off the tv a few nights ago.

Great performance by Kevin Bacon as the prison inmate driven to murder (and close to madness) by three years of solitary, and effective torture.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1627 on: 13 August, 2011, 11:21:01 pm »
Beavis and Butt-head Do America.

A masterpiece.  Where else do you get lines like "Full cavity search!  Don't stop 'til you reach his back teeth." and the start and end title music sung by Isaac Hayes and  Engelbert Humpidinck respectively; somehow they convinced Humpidinck to sing hippy teacher Van Driessen's song about a lesbian seagull.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1628 on: 14 August, 2011, 08:44:52 am »
Re watched "Sunshine" last night!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1629 on: 14 August, 2011, 08:46:28 am »
Heads up for a film tomorrow night.

Let The Right One In

A coming of age vampire thriller.
Film 4 Monday night at 9pm

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1630 on: 14 August, 2011, 10:28:10 am »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #1631 on: 14 August, 2011, 10:44:57 am »
8+ on IMDB - impressive

Set to record.

« Reply #1632 on: 14 August, 2011, 10:48:44 am »
Let The Right One In
Top movie

I'm reading the orginial novel for the film at the moment by John Ajvide Lindqvist.
If anyone here would like to borrow it when I've finished you'd be more than welcome.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1633 on: 14 August, 2011, 10:50:56 am »
It's in my kindle queque already.

AndyK

« Reply #1634 on: 14 August, 2011, 01:01:19 pm »
Paul. Again. And again I laughed so hard I may have burst a kidney. After the so-so Hot Fuzz this is Pegg and Frost back on top form.

fuzzy

« Reply #1635 on: 14 August, 2011, 08:09:32 pm »
Charlie Wilson's War last night on DVD.

A very good film with what I thought was an oustanding performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman as gust Avrakotos.

All the better for being a true story, probably with a fair bit of jazzing up by Hollywood but, for Congressman Charlie Wilson himself to tell the filmakers that he didn't care how they portrayed him, drunk, womanising etc. as he had done it all, was very refreshing.

The bonus matrila after the film itself was as enjoyable as the film itself. I just wish Gust could have appeared but he is no longer with us.

Some quotes to relish.

Gust- For twenty four years people have been trying to kill me! People who know how. Now do you think that's because my dad was a Greek soda pop maker? Or do you think that's because I'm an American spy? Go fuck yourself, you fucking child!

Charlie- These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world... and then we fucked up the endgame.

« Reply #1636 on: 15 August, 2011, 09:17:11 am »
Monsters

It couldn't decide whether it was a political comment on America and immigrants, or a monster/horror/alien invasion flic. In the end, it was neither.

Shame, as much of it was well put together.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #1637 on: 15 August, 2011, 10:04:41 am »
Cars 2.

Amazing animation, a fun story, a few bits of humour for grown-ups plus Michael Caine :thumbsup:.
Pen Pusher

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1638 on: 15 August, 2011, 10:40:32 am »
We watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes, last night.

Ok - but nothing to write home about.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

« Reply #1639 on: 15 August, 2011, 05:12:57 pm »
The Blair Witch Project.  It's still shite.  The thing about US teen horror flicks is that you *want* the monster to get them.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1640 on: 15 August, 2011, 05:49:20 pm »
We watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes, last night.

Ok - but nothing to write home about.

Hmmm, in that case I might wait till either it comes out on dvd, or wait a bit longer till it's on cooncil telly.

spindrift

« Reply #1641 on: 15 August, 2011, 05:53:16 pm »
The Blair Witch Project.  It's still shite.  The thing about US teen horror flicks is that you *want* the monster to get them.

Disagree strongly, genuinely suspenseful and creepy and I saw it after reading all the hype. Rather more extreme was a French film called Martyrs, you won't forget in a hurry.

AndyK

« Reply #1642 on: 15 August, 2011, 05:56:17 pm »

+1
Same goes for Clovershitefield and the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Repulsive characters throughout, who spend all their time walking backwards into darkened rooms, talking at the top of their voices, running around screaming, and mostly doing absolutely nothing realistic like, oh… say running away? I couldn't wait to see them all eaten/dismembered/cooked/whatever.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1643 on: 15 August, 2011, 06:09:33 pm »
Right, I feel a bit of a rant coming on:

Why on EARTH did you watch it again?!? You hated it, and this time you knew what was going to happen, so that takes away ANY fear/suspense it might have had. Pointless.

Same goes for Clovershitefield and the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Repulsive characters throughout, who spend all their time walking backwards into darkened rooms, talking at the top of their voices, running around screaming,

Daft lazy generalization there. The 'TCM' remake couldn't be more different to the other two. Blair Witch was highly original, Cloverfield slightly more derivative but still highly refreshing.
and mostly doing absolutely nothing realistic like, oh… say running away? I couldn't wait to see them all eaten/dismembered/cooked/whatever.
But! But! The best bit of the film is where the characters run like hell, shitting themselves at some unseen horror.

I'm not even sure you watched the film  ::-)

And breathe, Matt ....

Disagree strongly, genuinely suspenseful and creepy and I saw it after reading all the hype.
Well said that man :)

The others are just WRONG, WRONG I tell ye!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1644 on: 15 August, 2011, 06:14:26 pm »
I lasted about 10 minutes in to BWP and fast forwarded through cloverfield. The naif amateur school of movie making leaves me cold.

AndyK

« Reply #1645 on: 15 August, 2011, 06:44:32 pm »

Daft lazy generalization there. The 'TCM' remake couldn't be more different to the other two. Blair Witch was highly original, Cloverfield slightly more derivative but still highly refreshing.

Blair Witch was dull drivel, there have been more frightening Dr Who episodes. Cloverfield was unimaginitive crap made for a generation with a crippled attention span, the old 60s Japanese Godzilla films were better.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1646 on: 15 August, 2011, 06:48:55 pm »
I have seen plenty of horror/splatter movies in my time and I have become bored of them. I try now and again to watch one, only to see if they have come up with new ways of making special effects, directing etc.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1647 on: 15 August, 2011, 07:20:23 pm »
I'm a big fan of "Candyman" although it descends into cheesy slasher flick halfway through.  The first half is actually quite creepy, more for the fear of urban-decay gangland than anything else.

The final "Helen...Helen...Helen...Helen...Helen" is v. funny.

« Reply #1648 on: 15 August, 2011, 07:44:55 pm »
Never Let Me Go

Great film with Carey Mulligan and Keira Knightley.

fuzzy

« Reply #1649 on: 15 August, 2011, 11:38:10 pm »
Green Zone

Cospiracy theorists wet dream?

Not a bad film TBH. Matt Damon is a reasonable action movie lead.