Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951036 times)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1875 on: 07 November, 2011, 01:37:56 pm »
Am off sick today and have just watched 'A Town Like Alice'. Gets me every single time  :'(

fuzzy

« Reply #1876 on: 07 November, 2011, 01:54:03 pm »
Now, Voyager- Bette Davis.

SWMBO had recorded it so we sat and watched it yesterday.

Was OK.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1877 on: 07 November, 2011, 03:15:03 pm »
Watched the first ten minutes of "Voyage of the Dawntreader" on Saturday, then fell asleep (for about the third time that day).  Got as far as laughing at the grammatical incorrect Lone Islands.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1878 on: 07 November, 2011, 03:53:55 pm »
Contagion.  Meh. 

+1. Like a long episode of Horizon rather than a feature film. At least I didn't find myself thinking "that could never happen" too often.

+another1

Some big names but just a dull subject like 2 hours watching the spread of bird flu. But I guess that made it more of a thinking movie with excessive sensationalism, they could easily have ramped up the civil unrest or had a plague like in 28 days later. But then it wouldn't be a 12A certificate.

At least Gwyneth Paltrow gets her head cut open, which must make a nice change from having it cut off in S7VEN.

Otherwise, distinctly average. Save your money people!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1879 on: 13 November, 2011, 06:14:06 pm »
Yesterday I caught a train to Bradford at 8:44am, and got off the train back into York at 12:09am.  The majority (other than a bit of chatting and wandering and going out for a rather fine curry) of the intervening time was spent in one of two cinemas at the National Media Museum!

Started out with the screening of the films nominated in the 'best films for kids' category.  The one that won, Tiger by Janis Cimermanis, was indeed fabulous.  Beautifully modelled and very engaging.  But I actually preferred Marvin <a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=16759704&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=16759704&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a> which was a bit bonkers, brilliantly made, funny, and emotionally engaging.  The audience jury (group of young people who have been working on a film project with the museum) preferred The Itch of the Golden Nit http://www.tatemovie.co.uk/studio/#/clips_player which was good, but probably my least favourite of the available options. 

Then I watched Arrietty, http://www.arriettymovie.co.uk/ as recommended by by animator friend.  Good recommendation too - I thoroughly enjoyed it.  And it was a bargainacious 2 quid!

Then I watched the screening of the nominations for the Films by Young Animators award, followed by the award being given out.  They were all rather splendid, which makes it doubly gratifying that the film that my mate worked on with a school in Hull won! 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jwj0h6vqQZk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Jwj0h6vqQZk&rel=1</a>
And I got to meet the teacher who went to Ecuador which was the trigger for the story, and show her round (still clutching her award!) the animation gallery in the museum and look for work on display there by various animation gurus such as Barry Purves and Joanna Quinn who had sought her out to congratulate her on the film.  Which was nice.

Then I wandered around Bradford for a while and accidentally bought some shoes having failed to organise a ticket for the apparently brilliant presentation about layout that I didn't go to before meeting up with my animator friend and going out for a curry with him and his friends.

Then, several hours after I expected to be going home, I went to the awards ceremony having accidentally scored a freebie comp ticket and watched excerpts from all the nominations as well as the full version on the winner. 
http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/BradfordAnimationFestival/AwardWinners2011.aspx

I particularly like the winner of best commercial http://www.girleffect.org/video

The 'best professional film' made me think of you guys - chickens and zombie apocalypse.  Very funny, brilliant characterisation.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xmNdoeU5lq0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/xmNdoeU5lq0&rel=1</a>

The Student Films looked alarmingly good and i absolutely loved the winner, 366 Tage <a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=24329270&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=24329270&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Grand prix was a stunner.
http://www.nullarborshortfilm.com/

I really must be more organised next year and get to see more of the festival - and I heartily recommend it!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1880 on: 13 November, 2011, 09:52:48 pm »
King Arthur on BBC3 - Interesting take on the Arthur legend, but development of characters (especially villains) was rather neglected in the pursuit of fighty stuff.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

AndyK

« Reply #1881 on: 13 November, 2011, 10:48:16 pm »
King Arthur on BBC3 - Interesting take on the Arthur legend, but development of characters (especially villains) was rather neglected in the pursuit of fighty stuff.

This and Excalibur are the only Arthur films I've ever enjoyed.

Jakob

« Reply #1882 on: 14 November, 2011, 05:59:00 am »
Senna.  Massively disappointing.  Read Tom Rubython's biography instead :(

Crikey, you're the first person I know who's seen it and not raved about it. I've heard it said that you don't have to be an F1 fan to appreciate it. Perhaps not being an F1 fan actually makes it easier to enjoy.

d.

I thought it was 'ok'. The insight into Senna's personally was interesting, particularly as it goes a long way to explain Hamiltons :)...other than that, all the in-car footage was it's biggest draw.

« Reply #1883 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:04:26 am »
District 13:

French with subtitles, and some very beautiful free running action sequences.
Just someone's butler

Tim

« Reply #1884 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:23:56 am »
Of Arthurian stuffs I still quite like the channel 4 "Merlin" with Sam Neill, Miranda Richardson et al.

I may have to watch that again sometime.

« Reply #1885 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:32:17 am »
Free Willy...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

fuzzy

« Reply #1886 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:45:49 am »
Another oldy-

Hitchcocks 'Saboteur'

Good stuff with a bit of tension all backed up with the odd bit of Cholmondley- Warneresque dialogue.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1887 on: 14 November, 2011, 10:47:12 am »
True Romance, recorded off the telly aeons ago.  Effectively a Tarantino film in all but name, hence plenty of killin's and swearing. :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LindaG

« Reply #1888 on: 16 November, 2011, 10:37:36 pm »
Jack Goes Boating, directed by and starring the mighty Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I really enjoyed this.  The exploration of relationships as they really are, at their beginning and their end; jealousy, love, vulnerability, and pain.  Yeah there was a little bit of sentimentality, but that's what happens when you're in love.  Fine performances by all protaganists, thoroughly recommended if you can find a cinema showing it.

They're showing Tyrannosaur next week, I might see if I can round up a posse of Toytown-ites to go and see that one.  And anyone else who fancies it.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1889 on: 16 November, 2011, 10:55:26 pm »
Name of the Rose, wot was on the BBC the other day and now lives on my hard drive.

And before that, Noel Coward in In Which We Serve, from the same source. 

Of the two, In Which We Serve was better.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

spindrift

« Reply #1890 on: 17 November, 2011, 06:15:13 pm »
This Happy Breed was on on Monday. When Robert Newton is told his son's been killed the camera stays in the house, shooting the empty garden. Nothing happens, there's no dialogue or music. Then Newton trudges back into shot, shoulders slumped.

Waaa!

« Reply #1891 on: 17 November, 2011, 07:45:23 pm »
The Ides of March on Tuesday and Black Widow, Super 8, Inception and Kick Ass, earlier this year.
I was going to see Planet of the Apes, but just couldn't be arsed in the end.

I must renew my membership with the local film club at the Independent school around the
corner very soon. Their film year runs from September to March and for £32 you get to see
about 14 films. Most of them are foreign language, but thank god they don't have shoot 'em up
films, with endless car chases and pointless love interests. :thumbsup:

Each to their own I suppose.

Rapples

« Reply #1892 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:06:12 pm »
The Sting

And not a stripey yellow and black sweater in sight

fuzzy

« Reply #1893 on: 18 November, 2011, 09:46:36 am »
No Country for Old Men.

It was alright but not something to rave about. I don't get why all the acclaim.

« Reply #1894 on: 18 November, 2011, 12:47:29 pm »
Suggest you also watch 'There will be Blood' to compare and contrast, both were released more or less the same time. Daniel Day Lewis is so Daniel Day Lewis. A favourite scene is the slurping from a milkshake amongst others.

Frere

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1895 on: 18 November, 2011, 03:30:13 pm »
Suggest you also watch 'There will be Blood' to compare and contrast, both were released more or less the same time. Daniel Day Lewis is so Daniel Day Lewis. A favourite scene is the slurping from a milkshake amongst others.

Frere

There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece, IMHO.

the last scene, in the oil company owner's house is just fantastic.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1896 on: 18 November, 2011, 04:32:10 pm »
No Country for Old Men.

It was alright but not something to rave about. I don't get why all the acclaim.

The book is very good, but depressing (like most of Cormac's books).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1897 on: 18 November, 2011, 04:48:32 pm »
Life at the Top (sequedl to Room at the Top)

Disappointing after RATT.  Quite liked the final scene(s)
Move Faster and Bake Things

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #1898 on: 19 November, 2011, 08:00:31 am »
Michael Clayton: George Clooney, Tom Wilkinson, Tilda Swinton. Vaguely legal thriller. I didn't expect to enjoy this but thought it was a terrific film. So highly recommended. (Unless you don't like vaguely legal thrillers with George Clooney, Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton, in which case it probably isn't for you)

LindaG

« Reply #1899 on: 19 November, 2011, 08:36:22 am »
Michael Clayton: George Clooney, Tom Wilkinson, Tilda Swinton. Vaguely legal thriller. I didn't expect to enjoy this but thought it was a terrific film. So highly recommended. (Unless you don't like vaguely legal thrillers with George Clooney, Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton, in which case it probably isn't for you)

Yes, agreed, a terrific film, I think I fell a little bit more in love with Tilda Swinton after seeing her in this, my word she can act.  The portrayal of mania by Tom Wilkinson was just superb.  We've watched this again and again, I love that bit with the horses.