Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951126 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2350 on: 30 April, 2012, 09:59:12 am »
Outvoted so we had 'Snow Dogs'.

What a pile of (dog)shite.
The film with Lee Marvin?  It's quite an achievement to have a film with Lee Marvin that is so crap.

As an antidote, try tracking down 'Iron Will'. An old-fashioned Disney film with *good* sled dog action.

Wasn't it James Coburn?
erm, yes you are correct, James coburn
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2351 on: 30 April, 2012, 12:00:58 pm »
We have all the husky movies.
Snow Dogs is the worst, Iron Will is Disneyfied tosh (although it has Kevin Spacey in, so some redeeming features), Eight Below is Brill and White Fang too serious for the childers.

« Reply #2352 on: 30 April, 2012, 12:27:15 pm »
Iron Will is Disneyfied tosh

:o  How dare you.

Did you know that it is broadly factual?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2353 on: 30 April, 2012, 12:58:45 pm »
Bringing Up Baby.

Salmon fishing in the yemen
It's ok but not brill
I see what you did there!!   ;D
I lent the book to a friend several years ago and never got it back. She says she returned it, but I don't have it. I cod buy another copy but I know if I do it'll turn up.
You could have mine, I have it but wasn't massively impressed.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #2354 on: 30 April, 2012, 02:04:16 pm »
Pirates.. in an adventure with scientists. It was OK.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2355 on: 30 April, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »
On Saturday, Meet the Robinsons, a Disney moral story film.  It was very meh, but TLD liked it.

Once TLD was in bed, we watched Captain America.  Again a bit meh, but nicely sets up The Avengers Assemble.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2356 on: 30 April, 2012, 04:30:30 pm »
Iron Will is Disneyfied tosh

:o  How dare you.

Did you know that it is disneyfied broadly factual?

:P

tiermat

« Reply #2357 on: 02 May, 2012, 10:13:57 am »
Just watched "Outpost: Black Sun" enjoyable, low budget, Nazi Zombie movie.  What's not to like.

The dodgy accents are back, as well as one of the squaddies looking, and sounding, like Bear Grylls!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #2358 on: 02 May, 2012, 10:54:33 am »
Not finished yet but I am watching Sudden Impact in instalments.

Harry Callahan getting all necessary on a few punks asses.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #2359 on: 02 May, 2012, 04:42:02 pm »
Bringing Up Baby.

Salmon fishing in the yemen
It's ok but not brill
I see what you did there!!   ;D
I lent the book to a friend several years ago and never got it back. She says she returned it, but I don't have it. I cod buy another copy but I know if I do it'll turn up.
I haddock copy too!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

tiermat

« Reply #2360 on: 03 May, 2012, 01:19:17 pm »
Just watched The Iron Lady, very very good.

Now watching "We Bought A Zoo"

LEE

« Reply #2361 on: 03 May, 2012, 01:45:15 pm »
The Brain that Wouldn't Die (MST3K edition)

Some helpful tips from the nice people at MST3K
  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/h3ee7LMVbXM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/h3ee7LMVbXM&rel=1</a>

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 used to keep me relatively sane when I lived in the US, that and Beavis & Butthead.

I guess they are similar concepts, childish (but funny) commentary added to crap films and crap rock videos

The concept behind MST3K is that a human was forced into space, as an experiment, with only dreadful B-movies to watch.  He constructed some robotic friends to watch movies with.  They are fairly sarcastic robots.

Thank you Youtube for giving me access to it again.

« Reply #2362 on: 03 May, 2012, 09:04:34 pm »
Bicycle Thieves.  An extraordinary 1948 Italian film set in post-war Rome.  Superbly acted to give a moving portrayal of a father and his young son down on their luck.

'On Sunday it always rains'.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2363 on: 03 May, 2012, 10:47:35 pm »
Source Code. Wow.

LindaG

« Reply #2364 on: 05 May, 2012, 05:07:09 pm »
Saw the Avengers film today, really enjoyable (more so than I expected) which I suspect is Josh Whedon's influence. Even Mrs Y enjoyed it and she hasn't seen any of the films leading up to it.

What, really?  I've just seen it in 3D and I was BORED.  Not my kinda thing I guess. 

« Reply #2365 on: 05 May, 2012, 10:10:41 pm »
Saw the Avengers film today, really enjoyable (more so than I expected) which I suspect is Josh Whedon's influence. Even Mrs Y enjoyed it and she hasn't seen any of the films leading up to it.

What, really?  I've just seen it in 3D and I was BORED.  Not my kinda thing I guess.
OMG, you philistine
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2366 on: 05 May, 2012, 10:14:24 pm »
The Deep Blue Sea, with Rachel Weisz. (didn't actually go to the cinema with her, she was in it...)

Went in with the worst of expectations (tweedy English fifties class society blah blah drama about emotionally repressed people) but was completely mesmerized the whole time by a film that was nothing short of perfect in every aspect. :thumbsup:
"Many, also, are the hills that lie between, and we must ascend, by a glorious stairway, from strength to strength."
- Petrarch, 'The Ascent of Mount Ventoux', 1336

LindaG

« Reply #2367 on: 05 May, 2012, 10:52:17 pm »

OMG, you philistine

:P :P :P

Takes one to know one  :P

LindaG

« Reply #2368 on: 06 May, 2012, 12:21:37 am »
The Deep Blue Sea, with Rachel Weisz. (didn't actually go to the cinema with her, she was in it...)

Went in with the worst of expectations (tweedy English fifties class society blah blah drama about emotionally repressed people) but was completely mesmerized the whole time by a film that was nothing short of perfect in every aspect. :thumbsup:
I liked it too!

I didn't think it was perfect, it was too stagey for that.  And I thought the music was a bit much TBH.  But it was very good, and thought provoking.

Rachel Weisz is worth watching in anything, and by coincidence the pilot guy was played by Loki out of The Avengers.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2369 on: 06 May, 2012, 11:23:50 am »
Die Hard, last night, on the telly.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2370 on: 06 May, 2012, 11:31:26 am »

I liked it too!

I didn't think it was perfect, it was too stagey for that.  And I thought the music was a bit much TBH.  But it was very good, and thought provoking.

Rachel Weisz is worth watching in anything, and by coincidence the pilot guy was played by Loki out of The Avengers.
But what did you think of the sharks?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2371 on: 06 May, 2012, 02:13:08 pm »
Just watched The Iron Lady, very very good.

Now watching "We Bought A Zoo"

I just can't watch a film set in the USA, which was a real event that occurred on Dartmoor.

I really dislike it when they modify a story's location to get more money out of the film, but when it's based on real life, then that just winds me up.
Actually, it is rocket science.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2372 on: 06 May, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »
Went to see Avengers Assemble today at the rather lovely Greenwich Picture House. F*cking awesome it was. Great cast, fabulous script from Joss Whedon (whats not to adore) and some of the best LOL lines of the year.

Before the fillum we watched some of these mini filmettes:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/F30PYWYdkZ4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/F30PYWYdkZ4&rel=1</a>

(cue lots and lots of laughs in the auditorium)

The second one I cannot locate on the interwebs, but its about two old ladies doing their new hobby 'coasting'. I wish I could find the link because it was just marvellous  :)

« Reply #2373 on: 07 May, 2012, 12:14:44 am »
Just got back from watching Avengers (in 3D), it is so very good. I could watch it again tomorrow.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #2374 on: 07 May, 2012, 10:38:23 pm »
Watched the Avengers, liked it, but it did show how week the standalone Captain America film was, I'd completely forgotten all that stuff about the tessaract etc. Hate the new Captain America costume too. Had to google to find the shawarma avengers ending on youtube. For some reason only the US gets that post credit sequence.

ITV2 showed the Incredible Hulk on Saturday, which was good, as it got the Ang Lee version out of my mind in time for this.

I wouldn't bother watching it in 3D, it added nothing to the movie.