Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951234 times)

fuzzy

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4050 on: 28 March, 2014, 11:22:45 pm »
Notes on a Scandal

Cate Blanchett and Dame Judy Dench.

SWMBO has acquired it on DVD and decided to play it tonight. I wasn't expecting much but, bloody hell! That was good.

Dame Judy using the F word :o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4051 on: 28 March, 2014, 11:50:41 pm »
Marooned.

Saw it once when I was a kid.  Didn't appreciate the attention to detail for what it was.  Contains all the main elements of a cheesy disaster movie in the vein of Starflight One, but played straight by people making the 1969 predecessor to Apollo 13 and Gravity.  What it lacks in zero-g model shots it makes up for with authentic dialogue, panels and props.

It's important to remember the film pre-dates both Skylab and the Apollo–Soyuz Test Project.

All it needs is an ending.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4052 on: 29 March, 2014, 11:32:34 am »
Thirteen Days

Carried of very well and held the suspense despite, with it being based on historical events, the ending being known. :)

Could have done with some more (ie: any) coverage of what was going on in the Soviet Union at the same time, or perhaps that could be made into a film in its own right.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruth

« Reply #4053 on: 30 March, 2014, 02:06:34 pm »
The Grand Budapest Hotel.  I didn't get it.

fuzzy

« Reply #4054 on: 30 March, 2014, 08:33:09 pm »
Thirteen Days

Carried of very well and held the suspense despite, with it being based on historical events, the ending being known. :)

Could have done with some more (ie: any) coverage of what was going on in the Soviet Union at the same time, or perhaps that could be made into a film in its own right.

I bet no one really knows what was happening in the USSR during those 13 Days.

A good film I thought.

People slate Kevin Costner and I admit, he has appeared in some odd films but, he has done some good shit.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4055 on: 31 March, 2014, 01:11:28 pm »
Going through another Spanish film fiesta.

Just finished watching "I'm So Excited" and have moved onto what, in my opinion, is Javier Bardem's finest film, i.e. the one where he doesn't look like a David Walliams impersonator, Biutiful.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #4056 on: 31 March, 2014, 01:28:54 pm »
and have moved onto what, in my opinion, is Javier Bardem's finest film, i.e. the one where he doesn't look like a David Walliams impersonator, Biutiful.

Oh 5h1t.

I forgot just how much this film makes me cry....

Hope work don't ring anytime soon....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4057 on: 31 March, 2014, 02:37:13 pm »
I saw the new Captain America film yesterday.

Better than Thor 2 (I thor-t) which I practically fell asleep in.  That’s not exactly a ringing endorsement I know – all the reviews I read were raving about it, I just thought it was alright. 

fuzzy

« Reply #4058 on: 31 March, 2014, 02:42:42 pm »
The Armstrong Lie

I thought it was very interesting to revisit some of his interviews, on camera denials, protestations and press conferences in the light of the 'confessional'.

« Reply #4059 on: 01 April, 2014, 08:00:54 am »

Just finished watching "I'm So Excited" and have moved onto what, in my opinion, is Javier Bardem's finest film, i.e. the one where he doesn't look like a David Walliams impersonator, Biutiful.

Is I'm So Excited! any good? It's on my list, but from the reviews it could either be hilariously clever or a complete cringe.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

tiermat

« Reply #4060 on: 01 April, 2014, 08:05:17 am »

Is I'm So Excited! any good? It's on my list, but from the reviews it could either be hilariously clever or a complete cringe.

I found it very good, if you can ignore the low rent copy of "Priscilla" scene.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4061 on: 02 April, 2014, 12:41:37 pm »
Budapest Hotel last night.

"Hello chaps."

Not sure if it's my sense of humour, but I'm the only one laughing in the cinema at various points. Go and see it chaps. A very enjoyable film.

Ralph Fiennes. Love 'im!

Saw this last night.  Absolutely brilliant!  Early showing on a Thursday, so not many people, but lots of laughter from the crowd throughout the film.   It's well-done slapstick, with none of the cringe-worthy bits you get in American comedies.*  The cast, loaded with well-known names, was wonderful.

As Riggers said, go see this film.

* There were 2-3 American comedies previewed last night.  We agreed on all of them:  :sick:

A friend saw this last night and likened it unto "... 'Allo 'Allo on steroids, a big budget, and scenic locations :) "

;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4062 on: 07 April, 2014, 11:56:28 pm »
Many, many years after reading Ian McEwans's novel I finally watched the film version of "The Comfort Of Strangers".   Directed by Paul Schrader & beautifully shot in Venice with a stellar cast, the impossibly gorgeous Rupert Everett, Natasha Richardson, Helen Mirren & Christopher Walken. 

It's a visual feast, but as with the source material  a tad improbable.  Not to go home with tall, elegant weirdos is standard advice for travelers, returning for dinner with them after he's punched you in the guts is unlikely.

And I've just watched "Don't Look Now" for the first time.   Venice is definitely off the holiday list !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4063 on: 08 April, 2014, 09:26:19 pm »
Noah. It was rubbish.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4064 on: 08 April, 2014, 09:30:57 pm »
Midnight in Paris, with my secret celebrity husband Owen Wilson.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4065 on: 09 April, 2014, 10:05:52 am »
Noah. It was rubbish.

Saw the trailer for that a couple of months ago. Resolved not to go see it, or be bothered with DVD or Bluray or TV showing.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4066 on: 09 April, 2014, 10:51:08 am »
"Russell Crowe is back in Master and Commander II: this time there's Noah stopping him!"

MrsC and I watched Beasts of the Southern Wild. Dead good. The kid got awards and acclaim but IMO the person who portrayed her father also deserved them. Never acted before, he put in an amazing performance.
Some great CGI in a film that cost 1.8m to make. Amazing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4067 on: 09 April, 2014, 11:04:42 am »
Sunshine on Leith, just the right light entertainment we wanted for a relaxing evening.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4068 on: 09 April, 2014, 11:41:23 am »
The Sweeney

There are just so many ways this doesn't work. PACE being the main one. It would have been better to have kept it set in the 70's, when falling down the custody stairs was an occupational hazard for villains.

216km from Marsh Gibbon

Jakob

« Reply #4069 on: 09 April, 2014, 06:57:16 pm »
"Russell Crowe is back in Master and Commander II: this time there's Noah stopping him!"

MrsC and I watched Beasts of the Southern Wild. Dead good.

Looks like they got the CGI for free....

« Reply #4070 on: 09 April, 2014, 08:15:28 pm »

MrsC and I watched Beasts of the Southern Wild. Dead good.

Looks like they got the CGI for free....
Are you referring to the quality of it or the absurdly low budget?
I quite like the 'aurochs'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jakob

« Reply #4071 on: 09 April, 2014, 10:57:47 pm »
I haven't seen it, so I was commenting on the budget. Looks like it was mostly done by an arts school in San Francisco, which is kinda scabby.

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/vfx-soldier-criticizes-beasts-free-labor-in-wall-street-journal/

Thirty-three students from San Francisco’s Academy of Art University worked for months to craft most of the post-production visual-effects for the independent feature.

Basically a pay-to-work scheme....Benh Zeitlin have made millions, the people who created the work ends up with a enormous student debt.

« Reply #4072 on: 10 April, 2014, 12:50:53 am »
I haven't seen it, so I was commenting on the budget. Looks like it was mostly done by an arts school in San Francisco, which is kinda scabby.

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/vfx-soldier-criticizes-beasts-free-labor-in-wall-street-journal/

Thirty-three students from San Francisco’s Academy of Art University worked for months to craft most of the post-production visual-effects for the independent feature.

Basically a pay-to-work scheme....Benh Zeitlin have made millions, the people who created the work ends up with a enormous student debt.
That is truly crap. The film company/producer must have literally made millions.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4073 on: 10 April, 2014, 01:21:03 pm »
3000 Miles to Graceland

Don't hear a lot of love for this movie out there but I'm a fan - I think Kevin Costner makes a great villain.

spindrift

« Reply #4074 on: 10 April, 2014, 01:40:42 pm »
In Bruges last night, the French actress was awfully pretty then I realised it's her off Birdsong, Clemence Poesy.