Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951081 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6925 on: 19 January, 2017, 05:27:52 pm »
Burning acetylene is a heat source. Welding is locally heating two (or three) bits of material (metal, plastic, etc.) until they melt and combine. If you locally heat some material until it melts, you might also have a hot axe (i.e. burn through).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6926 on: 19 January, 2017, 07:39:52 pm »
Flashdance.  Quite amusing really.

She knows fuck-all about welding though.
Arh, it's like Bonfire Night! That's too much acetylene, is that! Them joints will hold fuck all

(Hmm, idle thought - is welding done with acetylene? I thought that was used for cutting holes in steel, not gluing it together.)

it's doubly funny, as she's arc-welding.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6927 on: 20 January, 2017, 06:10:13 am »
There is sometimes an excuse for combining torches with arc welding but yes, Flashdance is unfortunately all about the images on the screen and storytelling, rather than the educational documentary that I know everybody would prefer.

http://www.twi-global.com/technical-knowledge/faqs/process-faqs/faq-why-is-preheat-used-when-arc-welding-steel-and-how-is-it-applied/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6928 on: 20 January, 2017, 09:01:29 am »
There is sometimes an excuse for combining torches with arc welding but yes, Flashdance is unfortunately all about the images on the screen and storytelling, rather than the educational documentary that I know everybody would prefer.
;D

(In reality they wouldn't prefer it, because there would be less errors, and thus less chance to impress other geeks on the internet with corrections.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6929 on: 20 January, 2017, 09:43:22 am »
Er... "fewer errors".  ;D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6930 on: 20 January, 2017, 10:59:22 am »
10 Cloverfield Lane

Really enjoyed it. Much more interesting and clever than I was expecting. I've still not seen the original Cloverfield but I guess it's only tangentially related anyway.

I can't think of anyone else who could have played that part better than John Goodman. He does creepy very well. Almost too convincing.

One funny thing was that having seen Breaking Bad, I knew what was in the vat the moment I saw it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6931 on: 20 January, 2017, 12:10:17 pm »
Filth

Manages to be funny and depressing at the same time.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6932 on: 20 January, 2017, 12:21:48 pm »
Er... "fewer errors".  ;D

Nah, fewer chance.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6933 on: 20 January, 2017, 12:58:54 pm »
10 Cloverfield Lane

Really enjoyed it. Much more interesting and clever than I was expecting. I've still not seen the original Cloverfield but I guess it's only tangentially related anyway.

I can't think of anyone else who could have played that part better than John Goodman. He does creepy very well. Almost too convincing.

One funny thing was that having seen Breaking Bad, I knew what was in the vat the moment I saw it.
I consider Cloverfield to be sherioushly underrated. Perhaps I'm not in the core action/alien/horror demographic, dunno!

"10 ... " sounds very different, but I do mean to watch it sometime ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6934 on: 20 January, 2017, 01:10:22 pm »
10 Cloverfield Lane

Title's reminiscent of 10 Rillington Place. Could imagine an American Christie played by JG, too.  Original Cloverfield's not bad at all, but closer to Godzilla than acid baths.

« Reply #6935 on: 21 January, 2017, 05:54:21 pm »
Kubo and the Two Strings

Amazingly well animated, funny, and melancholy.

It is impressively well done stop motion animation, but modernised somewhat to include computer generated imagery where necessary.  It appeals to both the adult and child in me, a blend of a deep, dark, Japanese story, with some rather more Western style silly humour.
Actually, it is rocket science.

ian

« Reply #6936 on: 21 January, 2017, 08:43:46 pm »
The Rezort. Zombies vs. Jurassic Park.

Don't bother, it's shitter than you think.

citoyen

« Reply #6937 on: 21 January, 2017, 09:10:38 pm »

Coming from you, that's low praise indeed.

« Reply #6938 on: 21 January, 2017, 09:15:42 pm »
Hunt for the Wilderpeople Absolutely stunning. And hilarious ...and occasionally emotional. Don't really know how to describe this, so just watch it!.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hunt_for_the_wilderpeople/

It's on my list
Awesome. Absolutely fantastic, hunt it out.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6939 on: 22 January, 2017, 09:31:52 am »
Public Works on Netflix.  Good film, based on real events, but

(click to show/hide)

Currently watching Beasts of No Nation when I'm on the turbo. Good.

« Reply #6940 on: 22 January, 2017, 11:48:34 am »
Currently watching Beasts of No Nation when I'm on the turbo. Good.
i thought BoNN was great. Then my son-in-law (who is studying film) utterly ruined it for my by informing me that the great CGI in it was done by unpaid student interns. Great.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6941 on: 22 January, 2017, 01:19:30 pm »
I haven't finished watching it yet.  Only about 40 min in. :-\

« Reply #6942 on: 22 January, 2017, 02:10:13 pm »
Free Birds

A time travelling animation, about turkeys trying to stop turkeys from being eaten at the first Thanksgiving, and hence saving all turkeys.

Not the most exciting film in the world, but amusing enough, and very easy to watch.  It definitely has its moments, even if it is generally a bit of a Turkey. :)

Some of the better bits, are the soldiers in the secret government establishment, the first daughter, the pizza delivery guy and of course George Takei as the time machine, who definitely wins it as far as I'm concerned! "Oh my". :)

Quote from: Steve
The following film is a work of fiction,  It is loosely based on historical events and is in no way meant to be historically accurate.

Except for the talking turkeys.

That part is totally real.

:D

It got trashed by the critics, which I think was a bit unfair, since it's really not too bad, just not exactly outstanding.
Actually, it is rocket science.

citoyen

« Reply #6943 on: 22 January, 2017, 11:16:42 pm »
The Jungle Book

Meh. Far too earnest for a kids' film. Terrible ending.

Dad's Army

Didn't have high expectations but thought it might at least be a mildly amusing way to pass a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon. It wasn't. It's dull and unfunny.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6944 on: 22 January, 2017, 11:49:05 pm »
Finding Dory.

Like Finding Nemo but not as good.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6945 on: 23 January, 2017, 02:36:54 am »
A lonely Place to Die

An extraordinary film. Beautiful captures of moody scenery. Silly decisions. A Wicker Basket finish.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6946 on: 23 January, 2017, 07:42:41 am »
The Revenant

Stunningly beautiful cinematography and quite dreamlike but very violent at times. I liked it a lot.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6947 on: 23 January, 2017, 08:59:46 am »
I do hope you saw it on a BIG screen Pollers! It really takes you through a wealth of emotions doesn't it.

Watched The Big Short on Saturday. Very well acted and watchable but, as to understanding how easy(?) or convoluted bankers were able to manipulate mortgages, bonds, insurance in the Sub Prime Mortgage scandal, seemed to be like watching and following  a card trick performed right in front of your eyes.

Apparently, after all the deceit and fraud, only one banker was jailed.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #6948 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:18:09 am »
I thought The Revenant was dull and self indulgent. Far too much crawling. The only real star was the scenery.

ian

« Reply #6949 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:39:09 am »

Coming from you, that's low praise indeed.

Heh. Don't I know it. But I have some standards. To be honest, I don't know entirely why I watched it as I don't like zombies, but my tea was going cold and I wanted to watch something.

(click to show/hide)