Author Topic: Tomato blight  (Read 2472 times)

Tomato blight
« on: 11 September, 2010, 03:20:13 pm »
:(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Re: Tomato blight
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2010, 06:40:29 pm »
Very common this year it would seem !

:'(
Rich

Si

« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2010, 02:24:24 pm »
It's why I went over to hanging baskets and big pots - stops blight from spreading much better, and should it strike you can just chuck the compost, wash the pot and re-use it in the same position next year.

« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2010, 01:14:58 pm »
Oh I do hope my tomato survives.   It's starting to go orange  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2010, 02:04:02 pm »
I think I'm going to have to plant tomatoes only in the front garden next year. Plants there had blight in 2008, but seem free this year, but the back garden plants got it bad. Didn't get any blight anywhere last year, when my only real precaution was to avoid planting in the same bed as the blighted plants of the year before.

Still, got a damn good crop off 'em before the blight struck, much better than 2008. I've been giving tomatoes to all & sundry.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2010, 02:59:57 pm »
It's the damp Augusts that cause it. Plenty of smiths periods last year, but not as many this year.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2010, 06:14:33 pm »
Oh I do hope my tomato survives.   It's starting to go orange  :thumbsup:
You have one tomato?  Have you given it a name?

Which reminds me of my favourite joke:

Two tomatoes in a fridge.  One tomato says to the other, "It's cold in here, isn't it?"

The second tomato says, "F***ing hell, a talking tomato!"
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2010, 04:49:31 pm »
We're gardening newbies and our tomatos have blight. Can it spread to other (non tomato) plants?

« Reply #8 on: 07 October, 2010, 05:03:22 pm »
Yep...potatoes.

And it stays in the ground over winter.  You can hold it off on plants by spraying with Bordeaux mixture.  Best thing is to keep your indoor plants well ventilated to keep the humidity down

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #9 on: 07 October, 2010, 05:04:35 pm »
Yep...potatoes.

And it stays in the ground over winter.  You can hold it off on plants by spraying with Bordeaux mixture.  Best thing is to keep your indoor plants well ventilated to keep the humidity down

Thanks. The spuds were OK, but the tomatoes that were in the next row were a right-off.

« Reply #10 on: 07 October, 2010, 05:09:42 pm »
The spores may well have reached the tatties. Don't compost any infected garden waste and dont leave it lying around.