Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333266 times)

Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #150 on: 05 June, 2012, 08:27:58 pm »
If More4 weren't such a bunch of arse I'd be recommending people to watch Jon Stewart reporting on CNN reporting on the Jubilee flotilla. Brilliant.  :thumbsup:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-tears-apart-cnns-over-the-top-coverage-of-queens-diamond-jubilee/
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #151 on: 21 June, 2012, 03:40:17 pm »
I've been enjoying 24 Hours In A&E, even though it's not the kind of thing I'd usually go for. I think I like the fact that they concentrate on the procedural elements of working in A&E rather than going after the "human interest" stories.

Last night's ep featured a young woman who was in because she'd got blood poisoning from muscle protein breaking down in her thighs after a spinning class. I looked it up - it's called rhabdomyolysis. Scary.

It looked like she also had compartment syndrome - her thigh had ruptured and they had to staple it back together,

They didn't say whether she had any underlying illnesses or was on any medication that could have exacerbated the condition, though there was a hint that alcohol may have been a factor.

Still, makes you think about the damage you can do to yourself with intense exercise... <scoffing lots of bananas>

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #152 on: 28 June, 2012, 08:43:46 am »
Turn Back Time.  I'm feeling really sorry for the poor family that got house 3.  All the families are coping remarkably well in the circumstances.
Aero but not dynamic

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #153 on: 12 July, 2012, 07:14:20 pm »
This week I discovered Thelma's Gypsy Girls.  Trash TV at its best  :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic

citoyen

Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #154 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:18:35 pm »
Adam Buxton's Bug on Sky Atlantic.

Basically, he plays a video from YouTube then reads out some of the user comments. Very, very funny.

d.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #155 on: 07 February, 2013, 09:09:45 pm »
I hope this will be good: drama documentary on Joyce Carol Vincent, a young woman who died in her flat and wasn't discovered for three years.  The TV was still on when her skeleton was eventually discovered.  10 pm C4.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/oct/09/joyce-vincent-death-mystery-documentary
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #156 on: 07 February, 2013, 09:26:24 pm »
Currently watching a doc on C4  "How to build a bionic man"
From prosthetic arms and legs to artificial organs, science is beginning to catch up with sci-fi in the race to replace body parts with man-made alternatives. Psychologist Bertolt Meyer, who has a bionic hand himself, meets scientists working at the cutting-edge of research to find out just how far this new technology can go, while a team creates a complete `bionic man' for the first time, using state-of-the-art limbs and organs borrowed from some of the world's leading laboratories and manufacturers
Read more at http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=147757007#dAQmsu6wjVrcp5cb.99

So far seen obligatory boston dynamic's big dog footage, and now surgery for a digital retina implant.....

citoyen

« Reply #157 on: 08 February, 2013, 10:45:32 am »
Currently watching a doc on C4  "How to build a bionic man"

Damn, forgot to watch that. Was Peter Kyberd on it?

d.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #158 on: 09 February, 2013, 07:49:23 pm »
Spiral (Engrenages) Series 4 on BBC4 tonight at 9.00. Any takers?

« Reply #159 on: 09 February, 2013, 09:08:25 pm »
Spiral (Engrenages) Series 4 on BBC4 tonight at 9.00. Any takers?

Of course.

Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #160 on: 09 February, 2013, 09:13:30 pm »
Moi aussi :)

Hillbilly

« Reply #161 on: 12 February, 2013, 09:03:37 am »
Black Mirror on C4 last night.

Interesting TV, even if it is not half as clever as it thinks.  The kind of show that would be more powerful as a series of 15 minute short films.  But not to be too harsh, it is very watchable.  And it benefits from being a new scripted drama made and set in the UK, with no hint of the 1950s (or earlier).  And not a hint of physical violence, preferring instead to focus on emotional turmoil.

« Reply #162 on: 12 February, 2013, 09:30:03 am »
Black Mirror on C4 last night.

Interesting TV, even if it is not half as clever as it thinks.  The kind of show that would be more powerful as a series of 15 minute short films.  But not to be too harsh, it is very watchable.  And it benefits from being a new scripted drama made and set in the UK, with no hint of the 1950s (or earlier).  And not a hint of physical violence, preferring instead to focus on emotional turmoil.

I thought it was pretty powerful as it was. I did like it, if you can like something at the same time as being vaguely disturbed by it.

The woman who played Martha was in my year at school, which just added to the weirdness.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #163 on: 12 February, 2013, 11:45:35 am »
I thought this was an improvement on the first series, more subtle and better acting. It was stretched out a bit, but 15mins wouldn't have worked!!!

"not half as clever as it thinks" is pretty fair, and applied to the first series too. This show was basically a 1950s science-fiction short story, with elements of very recent technology woven in to make it feel 'current'.

There was an episode of R4's Digital Human that dealt with what happens to dead people on the internet, and how our legacies are affected by vast digital libraries. The freakiest thing was a service you could 'book' to send pre-scheduled emails to loved ones (or others ... ) after you die.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #164 on: 13 February, 2013, 01:49:28 pm »
I hope this will be good: drama documentary on Joyce Carol Vincent, a young woman who died in her flat and wasn't discovered for three years.  The TV was still on when her skeleton was eventually discovered.  10 pm C4.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/oct/09/joyce-vincent-death-mystery-documentary

And it was good, and nominated for several documentary awards.  Recommended viewing.

http://www.dreamsofalife.com/

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dreams-of-a-life/4od
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #165 on: 13 February, 2013, 01:56:45 pm »

And it was good, and nominated for several documentary awards.  Recommended viewing.

http://www.dreamsofalife.com/

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dreams-of-a-life/4od

It was good, if a difficult watch at times. Thought-provoking and very sad.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #166 on: 14 February, 2013, 09:58:22 pm »
It's Harold Wilson night on BBC Parliament.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

« Reply #167 on: 15 February, 2013, 08:28:51 am »
I watched Horizon on BBC4 last night about mapping the universe. Fascinating. And slightly brain-melting. And no floppy-haired pretty boys saying "amazing!" every two minutes.

« Reply #168 on: 15 February, 2013, 08:33:16 am »
Does the walking dead start again tonight?

Yes on Fox at 10.00pm, just checked.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #169 on: 19 February, 2013, 09:52:04 am »
Anyone else see last night’s Black Mirror? I thought it was great and did not see the twist coming. Charlie Brooker has a dark, dark mind. The best thing is that the situation didn’t seem that implausible, given where we are today.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #170 on: 19 February, 2013, 03:25:48 pm »
Yes, I thought it was very good (better than the first episode, which I thought was also good). About halfway through I realised the post-apocalyptic atmosphere reminded me of Derren Brown's programme where he succeeded in suggesting that his "victim" was a survivor in a zombie apocalypse... then suddenly, we had the "it's all just a show" denouement. Wow. The very end was satisfyingly ambiguous.

Hillbilly

« Reply #171 on: 20 February, 2013, 06:53:07 am »
Ditto - interesting concept with a decent twist.  And it had the courier from Spaced in it (I've not read the credits but that Irish voice is very distinct).  Ah, the clubbing episode from Spaced.  Now that was awesome telly...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #172 on: 27 February, 2013, 07:02:08 pm »
Final Black Mirror (S2 Ep3, as I think they say):

Slightly disappointing, mainly in terms of the ending. Perhaps because I was expecting some kind of twist ... dunno. Whatevs, I think it was the weakest of this series. Although possibly the most plausible!

[and was he the bloke from those awful student brodband ads?!?]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #173 on: 27 February, 2013, 07:08:30 pm »
Final Black Mirror (S2 Ep3, as I think they say):

Slightly disappointing, mainly in terms of the ending. Perhaps because I was expecting some kind of twist ... dunno. Whatevs, I think it was the weakest of this series. Although possibly the most plausible!

[and was he the bloke from those awful student brodband ads?!?]

It was - Daniel Rigby. I thought he was bloody brilliant!

Did not see the other two episodes but I thought it was good, still thinking about it..

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #174 on: 28 February, 2013, 06:19:31 pm »
He was very convincing in the role.

It was a good prog, just didn't match my expectations after the other 5. That's my problem, I guess!

(But I'm still not convinced about the ending ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------