Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210682 times)

IanN

• Voon
Re: DOTD
« Reply #200 on: 26 November, 2014, 12:17:53 pm »
Yes - Clarence Road. Looks good, and it will be great when it's finished/repaired  as I get almost daily close passes on York Road (t'other side) on my way home

(I've even been known to take to the pavement as the safer option when its wet and 'orrible :o. Slowing to walking pace to pass the occasional pedestrians , obviously   O:-)  edit: does that make me a hypocrite? not sure)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #201 on: 26 November, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »
I thought there was a white line on the pavement cycle path on York Rd. Is that only on Coronation Road?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #202 on: 02 December, 2014, 08:41:27 am »
I have to nominate myself, the only reason I got to work was the alertness of a range rover driver.

Filtering past a long queue of stationary traffic to turn right at a Tee junction I failed to notice the parked car in the line so when the traffic moved forward and I happened to be alongside the vehicle immediately behind the parked car...

The first I knew was seeing the front wheels turning and the vehicle start to pull out. Fortunately the driver saw me passing their A pillar and stopped, I wave hand in appology and proceed forward.

fuzzy

« Reply #203 on: 02 December, 2014, 08:45:21 am »
I often warn people about the ineffectiveness of rim brakes on early application in the wet.

Why the fuck don't I remember this when descending towards a roundabout behind a Range Rover which then slows rapidly for the car turning across it on the r/a? I saw the car approaching from the opposite direction and saw it indicating a right turn. I only managed to avoid rear ending the Range Rover by taking to the gap on it's near side.

IAAT (I Am A Twat).

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #204 on: 02 December, 2014, 12:00:11 pm »
Whilst being sorry that she was hit by a car and left lying in the road for a lengthy period of time, can I nominate this cycling instructor for the complete lack of awareness of irony in her comments about yellow coats and hats

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/hit-cyclist-left-lying-in-the-road-for-90-minutes-hits-out-at-shambles-of-nhs-care-9896977.html
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #205 on: 04 December, 2014, 07:04:01 pm »
Feral cyclist who pavement-cycled through a crowd of pedestrians and then, finding his way through blocked, bunny-hopped into the road in front of my automotive appliance as I was exiting a small roundabout.  After the brakes I applied the horn.  His fuck-you expression was replaced for a nano-second by shocked surprise before relaxing into his stereotypical snarl and he departed, front wheel pointing skywards.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #206 on: 05 December, 2014, 08:04:15 pm »
Riding on an unlit, national speed limit, narrow, unlit road. 
No front light.
A dim flashing white light on the back!
The only reason I saw you was the reflective bands on your 'council worker' issue trousers.
I think I saw him again last night, but without the trousers. He was going to be completely invisible as soon as he left the village. And he must have much better eyesight than me to ride on that road with no front light.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #207 on: 05 December, 2014, 10:10:36 pm »
Ah, I think I spotted the guy he sold his trousers to.  Which is just as well, given the lack of lights on the BSO.  Though, like most Brummies, he was riding on the pavement and the chain was doing an admirable job as an audible warning.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #208 on: 06 December, 2014, 08:50:53 pm »
Yeah, but it's amazing how easily spotted a man with no trousers is!

« Reply #209 on: 08 December, 2014, 01:25:11 pm »
I think I've discovered why there's been a rash of bikes with either red light at front and back, or white light at front and back. These are mainly, but not always, to be found adorning pavement cycles. It appears that our local pound shop has taken delivery of a consignment of mis-packaged bike lights. Each packet either has 2 red lights, or 2 white lights. To kit your bike out properly - you have to spend £2... (and then pass a set on to your mate)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #210 on: 08 December, 2014, 01:40:25 pm »
Cunning marketing there from poundshop!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #211 on: 08 December, 2014, 01:46:35 pm »
I think I've discovered why there's been a rash of bikes with either red light at front and back, or white light at front and back. These are mainly, but not always, to be found adorning pavement cycles. It appears that our local pound shop has taken delivery of a consignment of mis-packaged bike lights. Each packet either has 2 red lights, or 2 white lights. To kit your bike out properly - you have to spend £2... (and then pass a set on to your mate)

Ah-ha!

Last year it was green front lights, because Tesco had bought in a load of cheap sets with dubious LEDs.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #212 on: 08 December, 2014, 01:49:29 pm »
You don't see many yellow/orange blinkies nowadays. Oh, the joy of mistaking an oncoming cyclist for a car's indicator!

« Reply #213 on: 08 December, 2014, 10:43:13 pm »

You get a different class of DOTD up there. Round here, it's still the classic ninja with no lights, riding on the wrong side of the road. Yes, I do mean you, coming around the blind corner on Borough Road on the right hand side.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #214 on: 09 December, 2014, 09:19:59 am »
It doesn't matter what colour or how bright your rear light is if you attach it to the seat tube - not seat post - so low that it's underneath the rack.  ::-)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #215 on: 09 December, 2014, 12:04:16 pm »
And even if you do attach it to the seat post, riding with a jumper tied round your waist tends to reduce its efficacy.

One wet winter evening I saw a woman doing this.  White jumper.  BSO.  No mudguards.  Oh.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #216 on: 09 December, 2014, 12:12:31 pm »
I saw an odd light situation the other day. Red light on the bike in front kept disappearing. I figured it was mounted oddly but I couldn't figure out how until I passed. She had both lights mounted on the front mudguard (so the rear light was only visible when the front wheel wobbled). It looked professionally done on a Dutch-style bike.

I suppose it was quite noticeable.

« Reply #217 on: 09 December, 2014, 03:37:58 pm »
She had both lights mounted on the front mudguard (so the rear light was only visible when the front wheel wobbled)

::-) At least, that way, you can tell if your rear light has failed simply by looking down. It certainly saves having to look at your reflection in all those shop windows as you pass, so you can check... This might actually be worth trying on my recumbent - I wobble so mush that I'kl invariably be showing something (on second thoughts - on the recumbent you probably wouldn't see anything from behind as it would be shielded by my fat arse). I like to run with 2 rear lights in case one of them fails and I don't notice (which has happened on a couple of occasions)

ian

« Reply #218 on: 09 December, 2014, 04:26:12 pm »
I did wonder if somehow someone had bodged a rear mudguard (one of those SKS ones with the integrated light) onto the front. Without appearing like I was trying to look up her skirt (no ma'am, I'm merely inspecting your unusual lighting arrangement), I couldn't check too closely. Odd and I'm not sure sensible.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #219 on: 09 December, 2014, 08:27:54 pm »
Rear lights on front mudguards are a perfectly sensible thing to do ...on a tadpole trike.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #220 on: 17 December, 2014, 10:05:08 am »
Having attempted it myself, I have a certain amount of sympathy for the chap going from Wood Street to the Whipps Cross Road last night.  The first bit is uphill, it was the height of the rush hour and you were on single-speed.

This sympathy dwindled to zero, though, when I had cause to overtake you coming off the roundabout, because you were very nearly invisible.  Get a rear light, you twat.  The bloke I encountered later on Larrington Towers Road has one he doesn't need.

It's mounted on his handlebars :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #221 on: 19 December, 2014, 06:35:55 pm »
Bonus points to the numpty who sailed through the red coming up from Embankment onto the north end of Blackfriars Bridge into the segregated bike bit ahead of me (and several other cyclists coming off the bridge) and then stopped at the end because he needed to turn across traffic to Queen Victoria St. Cue a near pile-up. Harsh language may have been used.

« Reply #222 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:09:18 am »
to the Brompton rider who thought it sensible to overtake me as I was overtaking a *very* wide parked HGV.  As he tried to ride into the space I was happily and innocently occupying on my bike, I had to chuckle, at the 'give cyclists space' sign handing from his saddle!  :facepalm:
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #223 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:36:09 am »
Was it accompanied by a sticker saying "My other bike's a Range Rover"?
 :demon:

« Reply #224 on: 06 January, 2015, 08:38:27 am »
Me

Horrible misread of a road position resulting in heavy braking.

Approaching mini-roundabout (straight on and right) going first exit straight on and set up to pass another cyclist on approach / entry. Vehicle approaching from right, timing such that I would enter as he exited and his road position implied he was going left so timing was great, until...

He was actually U turning, my position wide to pas the cyclist meant I didn't see the right hand indicator. Cue heavy braking to avoid t-boning the car and head shakes from the other cyclist.