Author Topic: Ditching Outlook  (Read 1431 times)

Afasoas

Ditching Outlook
« on: 30 April, 2013, 07:55:38 pm »
I'm using Outlook to monitor about 13 imap email accounts and it just doesn't cut it anymore.
Crashes at least once a day and spends half it's time not responding.

Any alternative suggestions?

Re: Ditching Outlook
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2013, 07:57:46 pm »
Import the accounts into gmail?

Tbh I've had that many accounts through Outlook, though a mixture of IMAP and POP, and never had any issues.

Afasoas

« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2013, 08:03:14 pm »
The provider some of the imap accounts is with is very sucky. Very slow to synchronise folders etc.

The mail client on the iPad is totally unphased by this and will let you go about sorting email whilst handling all of the sucky stuff in the background. Outlook seems to just make you wait endlessly whilst it all catches up with itself.

« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2013, 08:05:02 pm »
Thunderbird?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2013, 06:54:53 am »
I'd agree. Thunderbird if you want local

Gmail if you want webmail, instant brilliant search, but don't mind google sifting through your email.

« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2013, 08:34:17 am »
I'd agree. Thunderbird if you want local

Gmail if you want webmail, instant brilliant search, but don't mind google sifting through your email.

As andustar says, also bear in mind that you can now set up gmail to share and _switch_ accounts. So if you create ac_1@gmail and ac_2@gmail, ac_2 can give  Ac_1 permission to manage mail, then switching between is done from the drop down box by your google ID. Very slick, only thing to remember is that sent mails are identified as such ( "from Ac_1 on behalf of Ac_2")

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2013, 08:37:23 am »
Ham? Is the ball under the middle of the 3 cups? Am I right?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2013, 08:40:01 am »
(And I was expecting this to be a question about ride conditions to Brighton - really must get something done about my eyes brane)

Riggers

« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2013, 09:01:31 am »
I initially thought it read Ditchling Outlook.

« Reply #9 on: 01 May, 2013, 09:19:34 am »
Ham? Is the ball under the middle of the 3 cups? Am I right?

Don't worry Riggers old chap, all you need to remember is that the pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon, the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Riggers

« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2013, 09:24:23 am »
Was that Bob Hope and Bing Crosby? Or Danny Kay?

« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2013, 09:47:49 am »
Danny Kaye, I think

Afasoas

« Reply #12 on: 03 May, 2013, 02:00:58 am »
First impressions with Thunderbird are good :)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #13 on: 03 May, 2013, 08:30:39 am »
There is a limit to how many accounts gmail can handle. It's annoyingly small.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #14 on: 03 May, 2013, 08:33:42 am »

I've used Thunderbird for years and it seems to do everything I need it to do.

Until fairly recently my primary ISP didn't support IMAP so I set up IMAP on another server and set Thunderbird to download from my main ISP and then upload to my IMAP server so I got all the benefits of IMAP without telling Google even more about me than they already have.

A few friends use gmail and also rate it highly but personally I just find myself shying away from the Google empire.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Afasoas

« Reply #15 on: 03 May, 2013, 06:19:59 pm »
Disappointing to find that:

OUTLOOK.EXE*32 is using 134 MB of memory

versus

thunderbird.exe*32 using 297 MB memory.

Thus far I'm using thunderbird for just two email accounts whilst Outlook is working with thirteen.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #16 on: 03 May, 2013, 06:44:01 pm »
I ditched Thunderbird when it started to eat CPU and RAM, my system couldn't handle it at all, that was a few versions back. Just installed it again* to backup from Gmail - two emails accounts and it is using ~145Mb but no more and I can use other programs while it runs in the background.

*simply because I know it well and didn't want to learn a new program to do something simple.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #17 on: 03 May, 2013, 07:33:47 pm »
Outlook probably cheats by using services that are integrated into Windows. So it is probably increasing the memory usage of other processes.

FWIW, currently Thunderbird is using about 100MB for me. That's with about 4 email accounts, plus newsgroups and the calendar.