Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 101023 times)

simonp

The Dean
« on: 22 February, 2016, 01:26:42 am »
Is under new management I see. With refreshments at the start and also ale at the arivee. Anyone know if the start is still peartree before I book the hotel?

Re: The Dean
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2016, 06:50:07 am »
I hope so, we've booked the Holiday Inn (the Travelodge being ridiculously expensive).

« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2016, 01:44:21 pm »
Still working out the exact logistics of the start/finish, but it will be from Peartree as normal. Routechecking is scheduled for this weekend - I would expect an update next week along with the GPX and other rider docs.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2016, 02:50:58 pm »
Ta, everyone.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2016, 03:16:59 am »
Just got back to the Peartree TL after the route check. ..
Watch this space

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2016, 12:02:10 pm »
Look at the time on this message. Dedication, or what?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2016, 03:38:22 pm »
I hope so, we've booked the Holiday Inn (the Travelodge being ridiculously expensive).

Strange. I just found the opposite.  HI £80  TL £45

But seeing as it would be too early for hotel breakfast, I'd be 8nclined to make the 40 minute drive in the morning rather than stay over.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2016, 05:15:14 pm »
Watch this space
Look at the time on this message. Dedication, or what?
He's just very slow - probably planned to finish ~9pm.

;)

Looking forward to ACH updates. If the beer-n-stuff is upto scratch I may be tempted to ride the cal event :) (first time since 2011 I think.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 29 February, 2016, 07:42:38 pm »
Hello folks
we probably should have used the term 'reliability check' in our last post?  After all, this route is a long-standing classic that requires no 'checking' as such. We were dead chuffed when Andrew kindly handed over the organiser reigns to ACH for this most excellent of rides.  Last Saturdays' group-DIY went very well, despite the wind-chill - chapped lips and shivering all round.

We are pleased to announce that the route was 'all clear' - nothing had changed since last years' route sheet and GPX were published.  Noting has also changed since last years' format, save the addition of light refreshments at the start and food 'n' ale at Arrivee.  For those who would rather scoot-off at Oxford upon arrivee, the usual postal finish is also still on offer.  However, if you do choose to return to the starting point you are most welcome to join us at 'Camp Audax Club Hackney' where you will find Beavertown Towns' finest ales: Neck Oil, Gamma Ray and the mighty Eight-Ball (the clue to the gravity is in the name) as well as some Granny Jones' Winter Broth to wash it down  ;)

« Reply #9 on: 29 February, 2016, 07:45:01 pm »
Sorry, we should have added - route sheet and GPX will be added to the AUK web tomorrow evening

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 29 February, 2016, 08:01:29 pm »
That sounds rather cool! (although anything more than a half knocks me clean out after a long day a-wheel  :-[

Will that all be al-fresco (with small charge for hwobbies,  blankets and/or horse carcasses)?

And (although this is probably the wrong place) is the perm still up for grabs? Still absent from aukweb. I might have more than a riding interest.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #11 on: 29 February, 2016, 08:14:36 pm »
I was planning on registering the perm after the calendar event  :thumbsup:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2016, 11:00:09 pm »
Route sheet & GPX are both on the Calendar  :)

« Reply #13 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:32:18 am »
Note that there are no changes to the route from last year. Some of the potholes on the first stretch looked pretty familiar as well.

Also, the new Oxford Parkway station is pretty convenient for getting there if coming out from London the night before, and you can breakfast there on the return.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:48:55 pm »
Beaver town beers at peartree, that's worth riding straight back to the station and heading up there just to head back to the station in Oxford.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #15 on: 04 March, 2016, 01:52:20 pm »
can anyone confirm whether it is OK, to leave my car at peartree all day? I'm assuming there may be a parking charge, no problem with that.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #16 on: 04 March, 2016, 03:00:28 pm »
can anyone confirm whether it is OK, to leave my car at peartree all day? I'm assuming there may be a parking charge, no problem with that.
It's £2 for 24 hours I believe.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #17 on: 04 March, 2016, 08:50:45 pm »
The ales
'Neck Oil' (session IPA) 4.3%
'Gamma Ray' (American Pale Ale) 5.4%
'8-Ball' (Rye IPA) 6.2%
x1 can of special edition 'Double Neck Oil' 8.5% will also be awarded during the course of the evening.

The scran
Granny Jones' Winter Broth with craft bread & artisan Patagonian Hacienda-Fed Goat Butter

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #18 on: 04 March, 2016, 10:42:18 pm »
I'm in. Looking forward to my first Audax of 2016
 :smug:
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

« Reply #19 on: 05 March, 2016, 12:58:31 am »
Stretching the manor of Hackney an awful long way west... Lets face it Regents Park is West of Hackney, but Oxford? Are you trying to provoke Bristol into another 'boat race?'

simonp

« Reply #20 on: 13 March, 2016, 09:52:49 pm »
Forecast looks like it will be chilly but dry, settled conditions. I'll take that!

« Reply #21 on: 14 March, 2016, 02:07:19 pm »
Can't do this because racing instead this year. Remember to pay your parking before you ride off!  :facepalm:

« Reply #22 on: 14 March, 2016, 07:57:45 pm »
I'm buying a new bike tomorrow, should be here in time. What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #23 on: 14 March, 2016, 08:52:37 pm »
Looking forward to this. First loooong day out this year.
LFCC

« Reply #24 on: 14 March, 2016, 09:16:47 pm »
wow how time flies-----had completely forgotten it`s The Dean time !! doesn`t seem like a year since last in 2015 and the scramble for PBP quals, so have completely forgotten to enter and don`t now have slot to ride it  :facepalm:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above