Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250272 times)

simonp

Re: Base training
« Reply #75 on: 06 February, 2016, 12:02:10 am »
I find the high intensity sessions easiest to motivate for. The endurance sessions are harder because they're boring.

Maybe you could try mixing it up a bit. Also 2x20 if at threshold doesn't seem like a base phase session and maybe less intensity and more variety would help?

Tonight for me was 4x8 minute sweet spot intervals with each one having 4 5-second sprints at up to 180% FTP. My legs felt that.

simonp

« Reply #76 on: 09 February, 2016, 08:49:12 pm »
Do sweet spot base, they said. It'll be fun, they said.

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/3153879-keeler-needle

« Reply #77 on: 10 February, 2016, 10:31:07 am »
I find buying a cheapo second-hander out of the local paper and going out for a couple of hours riding is more interesting and has more variety than any turbo trainer.

If its a heavy mule, the training will have 'added value'.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #78 on: 10 February, 2016, 02:48:09 pm »
I find buying a cheapo second-hander out of the local paper and going out for a couple of hours riding is more interesting and has more variety than any turbo trainer.

If its a heavy mule, the training will have 'added value'.

In principle that sounds like a good idea but, in practice, well designed (and followed) interval training on a turbo, can deliver better results more quickly*

*If results are what you are after of course.

I don't think anyone can argue that it's more pleasant to be out on country lanes than stuck on a Turbo Trainer watching the second hand tick ever so slowly round during a hard sprint interval.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

simonp

« Reply #79 on: 10 February, 2016, 03:00:53 pm »
It'd be very hard to reproduce that workout outdoors.

Also, I'm not sure riding in the dark and wet of a January evening for 90 minutes is more pleasant than watching an episode of Dexter while spinning at a constant 90rpm and letting the software do all the thinking (as in the case of that workout - constant cadence, varying force).

Although in this case I listened to music as the workout requires quite a lot of focus. It's also a lot more time-efficient: an hour on the trainer is probably worth 90 minutes outdoors.

« Reply #80 on: 11 February, 2016, 08:44:24 am »
For me; doing focussed, structured Wattbike sessions of 1 to 2 hours, means that my road rides at this time of year are when it is decent weather, and are relaxed and enjoyable.
I am fortunate that my local leisure centre has well led, structured Wattbike sessions. Doing 2 hours in a group, with a bit of banter in the recovery bits, is much easier than doing the same on your own.

« Reply #81 on: 11 February, 2016, 09:09:31 am »
It'd be very hard to reproduce that workout outdoors.

Also, I'm not sure riding in the dark and wet of a January evening for 90 minutes is more pleasant than watching an episode of Dexter while spinning at a constant 90rpm and letting the software do all the thinking (as in the case of that workout - constant cadence, varying force).

Although in this case I listened to music as the workout requires quite a lot of focus. It's also a lot more time-efficient: an hour on the trainer is probably worth 90 minutes outdoors.

:thumbsup:

I bought the entire collection of Carry on movies, Wacky races, Captain Scarlet and Tom & Jerry.

rob

« Reply #82 on: 11 February, 2016, 10:02:34 am »
Adding turbo work to my programme for the last 2 Winters has made a massive difference.   I live in the suburbs of Sarf London so doing an uninterrupted road workout is pretty difficult.    Once it warms up a little I drive to a TT circuit and do a few hours of tempo work on there - no traffic lights and no right hand turns.

Putting a TV in the garage with a DVD player has made a difference to the longer and duller sessions.   That said I'm going to redesign my programme for the next 10 weeks as something isn't working right for me.

« Reply #83 on: 11 February, 2016, 10:32:29 am »
I find 30 mins of wattbiking and watching a tv show such as X Files new season or Supergirl a really good way of passing the time without having to worry about the slow second hand going by. I also know if I watch Big Bang Theory on E4, the advert is exactly 4 minutes and 30 seconds! I tend to Wattbike twice a week at 30 mins each at HIIT.

rob

« Reply #84 on: 12 February, 2016, 11:29:13 am »
After all the hand-wringing of the last 10 days I commenced last nights session with a plan to bail part way through.   In the end it wasn't that bad and I was still pushing at the end.   1hr30m total with 70mins of 5min over:under.   Watched the Flying Scotsman again partly for the inspiration, but also it's the right length.

I still have the feeling that I'm doing too much volume and will drop the duration and increase the intensity for the next 10 weeks and when I start racing again in April.    Also looking forward to 2 days touring next weekend as the family are away.

« Reply #85 on: 12 February, 2016, 11:48:42 am »
I've been completely crap and off-program since, well, I've had my head full of moving house.

It'll be better once we've moved. After all, starting a new job in a completely new area and shacking up with your bloke are totally stress-free aren't they?

:facepalm:

simonp

« Reply #86 on: 13 February, 2016, 03:23:08 pm »
Since I'm racing in an 8 next weekend my mind has been focused on getting fit.

Last night I did an hour endurance. Today before breakfast 90 minutes over/under intervals. Tough one that. Tomorrow I should do another 2h+ easy ride. Probably will go out to play rather than sit in the garage.

I'll probably try to taper a bit this week, and drop the volume, and resume the programme after the race is out the way.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #87 on: 13 February, 2016, 09:41:22 pm »
I had planned for two turbo interval sessions per week to complement my three 57 mile commutes but after breaking my hand fairly soon after returning from China, I have been doing 5 sessions per week, all using the TrainerRoad software which is brilliant.

The five sessions now are normally 1x90' mostly at sweetspot, one 4x8' Seiler intervals, two lots of micro-intervals (Billat) and  an other. In theory, with 5-6 hours focused speed work I should get faster than than last year which was based purely on distance. I'll need to add in some long rides once the cast comes off.

rob

« Reply #88 on: 15 February, 2016, 10:37:02 am »
Didn't touch a bike this weekend.   Didn't realise how tired I was until I stopped.

I have revised the next 10 weeks and reduced the duration of the harder sessions.    Going touring for 2 days this weekend as the family are going away without me.

simonp

« Reply #89 on: 15 February, 2016, 10:59:41 pm »
I've done 7 days in a row now. Finished the run with a workout with 27x50s at 135% FTP with 50s recoveries. Easier than I expected, though plenty of burn did happen.

A couple of days off while I'm away then a little more training before the rowing race on Sunday.

« Reply #90 on: 17 February, 2016, 06:47:28 am »
I've done 7 days in a row now. Finished the run with a workout with 27x50s at 135% FTP with 50s recoveries. Easier than I expected, though plenty of burn did happen.

A couple of days off while I'm away then a little more training before the rowing race on Sunday.

EASY!

Then you'll be needing to reassess your FTP.  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #91 on: 17 February, 2016, 09:21:05 am »
Or (more likely, I think) I need to work more on muscle endurance to raise my FTP as a % of my VO2max.

simonp

« Reply #92 on: 18 February, 2016, 01:06:39 pm »
I'm going to try an SS conversion for my Kickr which should mean I can use it with my fixed gear bikes. This will be useful for the TT bike in particular as I need to get used to riding in position.

rob

« Reply #93 on: 18 February, 2016, 09:40:03 pm »
I'm going to try an SS conversion for my Kickr which should mean I can use it with my fixed gear bikes. This will be useful for the TT bike in particular as I need to get used to riding in position.

I bought the Tacx oversize track nuts that space the rear end out enough to fit my elite turbo.   I have had the TT bike on the turbo all Winter to train as much as possible in the race position.

simonp

« Reply #94 on: 19 February, 2016, 01:21:46 pm »

I bought the Tacx oversize track nuts that space the rear end out enough to fit my elite turbo.   I have had the TT bike on the turbo all Winter to train as much as possible in the race position.

My frames are both 130mm OLN so spacing isn't an issue, but gearing is. Using a single speed adapter kit for a normal Shimano freehub seems to be the cheapest and simplest option.

simonp

« Reply #95 on: 24 February, 2016, 10:24:36 am »

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #96 on: 24 February, 2016, 10:31:52 pm »
Surely there must be an easier way!

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/3265671-haeckel

This is my hardest workout, 4x8' @105% FTP, really struggled with it yesterday and failed to hit power target in last two intervals but did manage to keep HR in the >90% VO2max zone.

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/3259596-ak-seiler

« Reply #97 on: 24 February, 2016, 11:37:29 pm »
I didn't manage through to the end of Angels today https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/3273064-sufferfest-angels

I'd like to think I could have got to the end but discretion was the better part of valour. That's what I tell myself, anyhow. Then I look back and see I've always crapped out on this one. Damn.

simonp

« Reply #98 on: 25 February, 2016, 07:54:45 am »
"You don't need to stop. You want to."

rob

« Reply #99 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:08:41 am »
Running mate of mine sent me a good article that said you should always complete the intended duration even if you back off a bit.   Knocking around on the TT forum I've seen comments about failing to hit required wattage numbers for the 3rd interval so sacked the whole session off.   I think this is one area where power meters cause some negative motivation.   if you can't finish your planned interval at 250w then why not throttle back to 230w but still do the same duration of session ?   It's still a good workout.

On Monday evening I embarked on my usual tempo session, but I had had a much harder weekend.   For the last 20 mins I reduced the resistance by one notch as I was really starting to struggle.   I still did the required duration of 2hrs, but wasn't working quite as hard for the last 20 mins.   My HR was still in the tempo zone so this was still a valid workout and I saw the end of the dvd I was watching.