Author Topic: Leroica  (Read 2327 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Leroica
« on: 08 October, 2010, 08:26:39 am »
My son alerted me to this, which I had absolutely no idea about. If you have a pre-1987 steel racer, with down-tube shifters and normal pedals, then you've got a chance of entering! Sounds brilliant to me.

Italy's retro bike race is a cycling classic | Travel | guardian.co.uk
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Re: Leroica
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2010, 08:40:47 am »
Part of L'Eroica was advertised as a detour in Mille Miglia. In the GPS track there was a bit of white roads included. I was insane enough to follow it, not knowing how bad it would become and how long it would be unpaved.

If you think cobbles(Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix) are too comfortable, L'Eroica might be something for you.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Riggers

« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2010, 08:48:26 am »
It doesn't look as bad as that when you watch the video. It does make you think "Hmmm, gravelly road + precious old steed + me, = certain disaster".

I like the comment from the two Belgium brothers on a tandem "We're okay, it's the bike that's tired".

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2010, 11:31:12 am »
maverick has just ridden it.

Quote from: maverick
Got a nice retro jersey at the bike jumble and avoided the temptation of vintage Colnagos. Rode back to Siena in the rain

L'Eroica, what a fantastic event. Hard but not too hard in the 135km version. Fab controls great atmosphere brill post ride meal.

I didn't find the stretches of strade bianche too bad when I rode them. Certainly nowhere near as bad as the cobbles of Mecklenburg.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:14:19 pm »
maverick has just ridden it.

Got a nice retro jersey at the bike jumble and avoided the temptation of vintage Colnagos. Rode back to Siena in the rain

L'Eroica, what a fantastic event. Hard but not too hard in the 135km version. Fab controls great atmosphere brill post ride meal.

I didn't find the stretches of strade bianche too bad when I rode them. Certainly nowhere near as bad as the cobbles of Mecklenburg.

You obviously didn't find the sections that had the 25% downhills that were loose, rutted and potholed then. Seriously gnarly on 23mm tyres and 30yr old brakes. Or the 25% uphills in the same condition. I'll do a full ride report when I get back to the UK.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:32:17 pm »
Do they allow Sturmey-Archer gears?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:43:47 pm »
Do they allow Sturmey-Archer gears?
They would be allowed in the short 35km route - there were old butchers bikes, post mans bikes and the like on that route. The 70, 135 and 205km versions are for vintage 'racing' bikes only.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2010, 12:22:19 am »
Come on then Riggers you old queen, have you opted for an entry yet?

H

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 09 October, 2010, 03:24:39 am »
SA gears were used for racing. One rider got third in a very early Tour de France on an SA 3sp hub.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Riggers

« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:43:22 am »
Come on then Riggers you old queen, have you opted for an entry yet?

H

I'll deal with you later my lad. I've got work to do.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2010, 02:31:06 pm »