Author Topic: Zwifting - I think I need help!  (Read 75312 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Reply #300 on: 03 April, 2021, 03:37:10 pm »
Mine was similar but fortunately I was able to save my ride when I eventually got in otherwise I’d have lost the best part of 800m climbing

« Reply #301 on: 06 April, 2021, 04:14:33 pm »
I'm resigned to the loss. I didn't mind losing 400m, just the KOM win. I doubt if I will ever have a chance to win KOM again.

Worse news is that Zwifthub is closing down.  It's author "Feeney announced he has moved to a new software development role with Wahoo Fitness – The Sufferfest".   I'd like to think Zwift could buy Zwifthub as it is a valuable enhancement.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #302 on: 06 April, 2021, 09:00:27 pm »
I always found it a bit disappointing- it worked as a tick list but with prettier pictures. Or was I missing something crucial?

None of the info is unique- almost all replicated by zwiftinsider.

Chris S

« Reply #303 on: 06 April, 2021, 10:19:27 pm »
GPLama agrees with asterix. Zwift should do the decent thing and buy the IP of the site and just integrate it into their site. It presumably uses their API anyway.

ETA: I don't kid myself that startups from California ever manage to do the decent thing. They do what their investors tell them to do.

« Reply #304 on: 06 April, 2021, 11:24:36 pm »
I always found it a bit disappointing- it worked as a tick list but with prettier pictures. Or was I missing something crucial?

None of the info is unique- almost all replicated by zwiftinsider.
  • It's a tick list that you can use to choose your route without having to start a random ride, just to access the list (as in Zwift)
  • It's all on one page, rather than in separate pages per country, as in Zwift Insider
  • You can filter and sort the list by various useful criteria (distance, routes you've done, country, etc.)
  • Zwift Insider doesn't have a record of what rides you've done
Don't get me wrong. Zwift Insider is good, and the fact that Zwift must set some kind of world record for the number of supplementary services you need to use it to the full is not really an advantage (we haven't even mentioned the Zwift Companion or Zwiftpower). But definitely Zwift Hub adds something that means that I use it most times I am planning a ride. Id like to see Zwift Hub integrated into Zwift Insider.

« Reply #305 on: 07 April, 2021, 06:57:40 am »
I think because I had already done most of the routes before zwift hub started made it less useful for me. I kept an actual list, on an index card, on the windowsill next to my bike... Old Skool.

« Reply #306 on: 07 April, 2021, 08:38:36 am »
I'd just made up a spreadsheet when I found out about the site ::-)

« Reply #307 on: 12 April, 2021, 03:21:07 pm »
It seems you can get that tick box functionality with zwifthacks, here:

https://zwifthacks.com/a-new-way-to-track-your-route-badges/

I think I could even claim this is improved tickboxery as you can view the upcoming events list and they will show your tickboxery.

Looks like Jesper is pretty responsive to feature requests, too.

« Reply #308 on: 14 April, 2021, 04:32:18 pm »
Two very simple ( for the zwiftologists) queries. I’ve been following one of their programmes in the hope of improving. I’m left wondering though
- even when I’m doing a fairly hard effort lots of riders come flying past. Is the answer that I’m just too old and unfit and should give up cycling?
- why do some riders have a picnic tray on their bike?. In fact, I suddenly found one on my bike yesterday.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #309 on: 14 April, 2021, 04:44:51 pm »
I think the picnic tray indicates that you’re on a structured workout rather than a free ride or a race.

I’ve just got used to being passed in Zwift. In fact it’s fairly close to my experience on a proper road as well :)

« Reply #310 on: 14 April, 2021, 09:28:39 pm »
The picnic tray also changes colour along with the zone you're working in. When yours is red, and someone cruises past you with theirs on blue  :-[

Some of the people going past you are on faster bikes, some are on wildly inaccurate dumb trainers, many are weight doping their profiles (or otherwise cheating), some you pass again shortly afterwards (probably without realising) when they run out of puff from their sprint effort... and some of them are just much, much faster than you... and me ;)
Back in the saddle :)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #311 on: 14 April, 2021, 10:26:18 pm »
The most fun is chasing someone whilst in a deep red zone, and passing them at warp factor snot as you go into a rest zone and the workout screen turns grey - leave them wondering how you can do 50kph on the flat at 50W. I know, little things...

« Reply #312 on: 14 April, 2021, 10:52:48 pm »
The picnic tray also changes colour along with the zone you're working in.
Are the picnics any good? I've never tried one.

« Reply #313 on: 15 April, 2021, 07:44:42 am »
No.

« Reply #314 on: 15 April, 2021, 09:25:29 am »
My favourite picnics are The Gorby (standard), Debbie's Killer 7s and Debbie's Killer Sandwich (both downloaded as .zwo from whatsonzwift).

The Gorby is tough but just about manageable, provided you're close to the level of aerobic fitness that corresponds to your input FTP.
Debbie's sessions really push your 1 minute efforts, especially as your legs start to feel heavy at the end of the session.  Highly recommended.

« Reply #315 on: 15 April, 2021, 09:29:13 am »
The picnic tray also changes colour along with the zone you're working in. When yours is red, and someone cruises past you with theirs on blue  :-[

Some of the people going past you are on faster bikes, some are on wildly inaccurate dumb trainers, many are weight doping their profiles (or otherwise cheating), some you pass again shortly afterwards (probably without realising) when they run out of puff from their sprint effort... and some of them are just much, much faster than you... and me ;)

I never realised that about the picnic trays (I don't do workouts :hand:)  I did notice that sometimes when the trays are alongside I can sometimes see the watts the rider is reaching.  Being overtaken no longer bothers me although I do like a good sprint for the line sometimes if I think I can pull it off. 

On Saturday I have signed up for the Four Horsemen.  I gave it a go once and got roughly a third way up the Alpe; this time I want to get at least halfway before my legs give out. 

This news was interesting - one way to get out of jail, if only virtually.

https://zwiftinsider.com/the-breakaway/

« Reply #316 on: 15 April, 2021, 06:01:24 pm »
I've always got a quiet satisfaction from overtaking people with picnic trays when I'm just on a normal ride ;D Although it's almost certainly down to whether the readings from my trainer or theirs are more accurate ::-)

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #317 on: 15 April, 2021, 06:03:27 pm »
I've always got a quiet satisfaction from overtaking people with picnic trays when I'm just on a normal ride ;D Although it's almost certainly down to whether the readings from my trainer or theirs are more accurate ::-)
Not necessarily since workouts are structured for both high and recovery efforts.

« Reply #318 on: 15 April, 2021, 09:30:35 pm »
The picnic tray also changes colour along with the zone you're working in.
Are the picnics any good? I've never tried one.

Yes. Welsh cakes on mine :)
Back in the saddle :)

« Reply #319 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:12:27 pm »
ZWIFT ANNOUNCES COMMUNITY WELFARE AND ANTI-HARASSMENT UPDATE

As some Zwift racers have already pointed out on the forum thread, hiding weight and height data is a double-edged sword. Yes, it should reduce unwarranted harassment while removing some triggers which can lead to disordered eating. That’s a good thing. But it will also make it nearly impossible for racers to spot weight/height dopers – and generally, racers have been relied upon to spot this sort of cheating, since race organizers have enough work on their hands.

https://zwiftinsider.com/community-welfare-update/

Disordered eating?!  One of the big pluses about cycling whether virtual or real is that it means I can eat what I like!  Who are these fanatics?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #320 on: 15 April, 2021, 11:59:19 pm »
Market opportunity: Picnic trays for Audax bikes.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #321 on: 16 April, 2021, 10:25:45 am »

As some Zwift racers have already pointed out on the forum thread, hiding weight and height data is a double-edged sword. Yes, it should reduce unwarranted harassment while removing some triggers which can lead to disordered eating. That’s a good thing. But it will also make it nearly impossible for racers to spot weight/height dopers – and generally, racers have been relied upon to spot this sort of cheating, since race organizers have enough work on their hands.

Disordered eating?!  One of the big pluses about cycling whether virtual or real is that it means I can eat what I like!  Who are these fanatics?
Are you kidding?
I hope so: Pro cyclists- my favourite drug cheats with eating disorders.

Obviously this is much worse for women. Publicly visible weight data is triggering for loads of female athletes.

« Reply #322 on: 16 April, 2021, 10:56:02 am »
No, I am serious.  My assumption is that any one cycling faster than me on Zwift lies about their weight and/or is riding an e-bike.

« Reply #323 on: 16 April, 2021, 02:34:36 pm »

Are you kidding?
I hope so: Pro cyclists- my favourite drug cheats with eating disorders.

Obviously this is much worse for women. Publicly visible weight data is triggering for loads of female athletes.

The best thinking on this subject on the Zwift Forums:

With regards to ZP and weight. Do you think people with eating disorders or an increased propensity to develop one will suddenly stop thinking about dropping their weight to improve their performance just because they can’t see competitors weight?

Now they will look at results and see people going faster than them and if they are inclined to think about weight and eating habits then they will assume it’s because the rider weighs less than they did. The reverse of this is you’ve also removed any positive motivation to counter these ideas by removing evidence of when a rider of similar weight or indeed heavier rider performs better than they did.

« Reply #324 on: 16 April, 2021, 03:20:51 pm »
This action is in response to a request from (female) riders.
Your quote from the forums is not from someone who finds it triggering. We should listen people who have a problem to help us solve that problem, not judge it.

Women. I can eat what I like, but only because I prefer being fat to constantly feeling deprived. Fat is a feminist issue. I'm ambivalent about this introduction but I'm clearly a lot more empathetic that you guys as to why it might be wanted.