Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186577 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #1000 on: 17 October, 2019, 03:50:11 pm »
That wasn't something to dump, that was an antique!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1001 on: 17 October, 2019, 04:01:19 pm »
Not a metre from my elbow I have a 1999 Michelin road atlas of France, complete but for the pages I ripped out to mark cycling routes on.

Oh, important tip: when marking a route on a map, do not use an orange highlighter if you're going to be going through sodium-lit towns at night. DAHIKT.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1002 on: 17 October, 2019, 07:30:47 pm »
Oh, important tip: when marking a route on a map, do not use an orange highlighter if you're going to be going through sodium-lit towns at night. DAHIKT.

Reminds me of the time I labelled all the channels on a lighting desk in blue biro...  :facepalm:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1003 on: 17 October, 2019, 08:37:21 pm »
You know you are middle aged when ... you realise the London AZ in your hands was published in 2003 (15 years ago!) whereas you were under the impression that "it wasn't that old".

At least the millenium dome is on it!

I hate to inform you that we're now at the tail end of 2019 and 2003 was at least 16 years ago...
Another indicator of middle age.  You round the number of years between a past event and now down to try and soften the mental blow.  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1004 on: 18 October, 2019, 09:34:03 am »
You know you are middle aged when ... you realise the London AZ in your hands was published in 2003 (15 years ago!) whereas you were under the impression that "it wasn't that old".

I hate to inform you that we're now at the tail end of 2019 and 2003 was at least 16 years ago...
Another indicator of middle age.  You round the number of years between a past event and now down to try and soften the mental blow.  :)

Older yet, you've stopped caring.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #1005 on: 19 October, 2019, 07:20:38 am »

Older yet, you've stopped caring.

Envoyé de mon Action-X3 en utilisant Tapatalk

Chief cat entertainer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1006 on: 21 October, 2019, 03:08:11 pm »
On the topic of long-lived items, when we moved in here in 1989 I installed a fluorescent light from our old kitchen in my workshop.  The tube has just begun to die: it must be around 36 years old.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1007 on: 21 October, 2019, 05:30:25 pm »
When you're riding along and start whistling/humming a childhood tune to yourself but suddenly stop because you remember it's now musica non grata, to coin a phrase.
(click to show/hide)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1008 on: 21 October, 2019, 07:37:03 pm »
On a trip back to Bath with MrsED, where i studied, we wandered into an art gallery where the bus station used to be and almost bought a Rolf. 

Lucky escape there
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1009 on: 21 October, 2019, 10:09:44 pm »
I pointed out the lyrics to 'The Sun Has Got Its Hat On' to a guest, as a passing ice cream van chimed the tune.
Very incorrect.
Shame!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1010 on: 22 October, 2019, 08:55:24 am »
As I climbed the steps to our front door behind our Labs the other evening I found myself singing "Two little chums had two little bums/Both had a woolly arse", which I suppose would be even more non grata these days, as well as being grammatically dubious.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1011 on: 22 October, 2019, 08:59:54 am »
... it's now musica non grata ...

That Americal civil war song, written in 1902 by Morse and Madden and sung by many artists must surely have what it takes to outlive its association with Rolf Harris. I sure hope so as it is a great song.
I hope it does, but at the moment it still feels a bit like songcrime to sing it.

I pointed out the lyrics to 'The Sun Has Got Its Hat On' to a guest, as a passing ice cream van chimed the tune.
Very incorrect.
Shame!
The sun has got his hat on
Hip hip hip hooray
The sun has got his hat on
And he's coming out to play

is all I've ever known of that song.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1012 on: 22 October, 2019, 09:22:02 am »
It's the second verse...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1013 on: 22 October, 2019, 09:34:20 am »
As I climbed the steps to our front door behind our Labs the other evening I found myself singing "Two little chums had two little bums/Both had a woolly arse", which I suppose would be even more non grata these days, as well as being grammatically dubious.

"Each had a woolly arse" would be OK.

« Reply #1014 on: 22 October, 2019, 09:35:55 am »
Very incorrect.
Shame!

I attended the same school as the perpetrator of that song.

But not at the same time...

« Reply #1015 on: 23 October, 2019, 12:49:38 pm »
...your wife goes off to a Quilting Retreat for four days (bet you didn't know that existed) and not only do you not make any plans, but you also take no advantage of the holiday. She's back tomorrow.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #1016 on: 23 October, 2019, 01:28:33 pm »
...your wife goes off to a Quilting Retreat ... (bet you didn't know that existed)

You should have learned by now not to assume, of course I know these things exist.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1017 on: 23 October, 2019, 02:38:39 pm »

"Each had a woolly arse" would be OK.

I was going to put that but it would have added another mod to the original.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1018 on: 23 October, 2019, 03:14:23 pm »
...your wife goes off to a Quilting Retreat for four days (bet you didn't know that existed) and not only do you not make any plans, but you also take no advantage of the holiday. She's back tomorrow.

Wonder if she'll meet the wife of my First Love, who is a quilter in Cardiff...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1019 on: 24 October, 2019, 09:38:23 am »
...your wife goes off to a Quilting Retreat for four days (bet you didn't know that existed) and not only do you not make any plans, but you also take no advantage ...............
I must be middle aged, at 65.  Yebbut sometimes the aches and wobbles make me feel what I think old-age must feel like.  Dunno.  Mine buggers off at short notice for a Bridge weekend, and I get the dog to supervise so I can't go far away from home, and the dog hates going in the car so away-from-base walkies are out.  Yes, yes, I know it was on the calendar months ago, but how am I supposed to notice that?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1020 on: 24 October, 2019, 02:06:09 pm »
My sister's in that lark. Currently trying to get Downpatrick renamed Downpatchwork. OK for her, she lives near Lisburn.

Being shown the 748 photos she took at the European Quilting shindig in Ste-Marie-des-Mines would make anyone feel middle-aged. Or if they're already past that mark, suicidal.

« Reply #1021 on: 24 October, 2019, 03:12:09 pm »
Imagine having to find different ways of saying "oh that's nice dear"

With what has to pass for enthusiasm.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1022 on: 24 October, 2019, 03:34:14 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have to imagine it. To be fair, though, 748 was hyperbole. It wasn't more than 200.

ian

« Reply #1023 on: 24 October, 2019, 03:38:25 pm »
I first heard of quilting in the US, where it's a big thing (families have quilts). Of course, I initially assumed it was some kind of sex thing, like pegging or some such.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1024 on: 24 October, 2019, 04:26:55 pm »
I thought knights used to tilt at it.