Author Topic: Mounting an IQ Fly  (Read 1528 times)

the cormorant

Mounting an IQ Fly
« on: 08 May, 2008, 01:46:16 pm »
Has anyone tried to fit an IQ Fly upside down?

Due to cabling difficulties I can’t mount mine to the fork crown and would prefer to not to fit it forward of the spacebar where it’s quite exposed and likely to be damaged whenever I get the sleepy and cycle into a ditch.

My latest idea is to fit it hanging down from the spacebar where it wouldn’t be as vulnerable.

My first thought was that it wouldn’t be a good idea due to the arrangement of the LED and reflector but has anyone actually tried it and can say for sure that it’s a bad idea (or indeed a good idea)? Does it dazzle oncoming traffic too much? How is the spread of light on the road?

Craig

Re: Mounting an IQ Fly
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2008, 02:53:09 pm »
I've not tried fitting it upside down, but I suspect the beam would be all wrong. Also, I think there might be a risk of water getting in it, I'm not sure how waterproof it is.
I've got my IQ Fly mounted on the handlebars with one of these: Schmidt handlebar bracket.
I have the bracket pointing down, so the light only sticks up slightly above the bars. Photo of it fitted here.

Re: Mounting an IQ Fly
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2008, 03:01:59 pm »
I mounted mine on the fork crown using the supplied bracket and used a couple of zip-ties to keep the gear/brake cables out of the way.

Luckily the bike had been fitted with a "Flinger" (see the EBC website) style nut on the back of the forks which meant that there was plenty of thread of the brake bolt engaged.

Never tried it upside down but given the way it puts more light in the right place by using a shaped beam, I'd be surprised if it was quite sub-optimal when mounted the wrong way up.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."