Author Topic: chainset removal help?  (Read 3025 times)

chainset removal help?
« on: 09 May, 2008, 06:47:37 pm »
I'm enFixelating a bike currently fitted with a campag centaur double.  I'm struggling to remove the chainset. I've taken the allen bolts out of each side but cant budge the cranks / chainwheel (even after repeated percussive adjustment)

Is there a new weapon i need to help?

Zoidburg

Re: chainset removal help?
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:50:25 pm »
A crank puller my man!

A crank puller!

Cease the foul hammer abuse of the chainset!

« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:52:16 pm »
excellent, a wiggle opportunity on the horizon!!

are all crank pullers equal, or are some different?

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:07:37 pm »

All different although the Park CP2C claims to be universal. What year Campag Centaur is it?

I don't see Wiggle selling one that doesn't have Shimano in the description but I'm sure I bought my crank extractor from there.

If you can't wait for a delivery, and your LBS can't help, then you can risk it by going for a series of *short* *slow* bimbles around the village now that you've taken the crank bolts off. Every 50m try the cranks to see if they'll wiggle off. Ride too hard after they've loosened off and you'll damage them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:13:14 pm »

All different

I thought that all square-taper crank ones were the same. 

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:17:21 pm »

All different

So did I untill I tried to use mine on a chainset I'd got from a mate. I think the internal diameter of the thread where you screw the remover in is different for some. ISTR it was a TA chainset that had a bigger diameter. I think also that - for once - Campag and Shimano are the same.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:19:48 pm »

Well you learn something every day, I thought they chopped and changed standards every year (much like BB extractor tools) but the Park Tool website shows there's only two. One for Shimano Hollowtech and one for the rest of the world.

CWP-6 does both, or CCP-2 will do square taper.

[EDIT] Cross-posted with Eck. Except TA then....
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2008, 08:03:27 pm »
A few years back I had one that worked for my (iirc) suntour chainset.  A friend of a friend borrowed it, and utterly destroyed the thread by forceably screwing it onto a (again iirc) shimano chainset.  For all I know he destroyed the thread on his chainset as well.

It should screw into the chainset fairly easily, assuming the thread is reasonably clean and lightly greased.  It's screwing the extracting bit in to force the crank off of the bottom bracket that takes the effort.
Actually, it is rocket science.

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:05:21 pm »
much like BB extractor tools

I thought there were only 2 of those ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:46:32 pm »

Nope
- standard (22 mm),
- '84-'90 Campag C-Record, Croce D'Aune, Chorus (22 mm but LH thread, most cranks have integral extractor),
- TA (23 mm),
- pre-'82 Stronglight (23.35 mm),
- Lambert/Viscount (many of them had something unique),
- JA Stein (oversized stripped extractor thread repair with integral extractor)
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:49:46 pm »
A few years back I had one that worked for my (iirc) suntour chainset.  A friend of a friend borrowed it, and utterly destroyed the thread by forceably screwing it onto a (again iirc) shimano chainset.

Unless the crank was steel, how does an aluminium thread damage a steel tool?  Did he drop the tool on a concrete floor?  Shimano and Suntour have identical extractor threads.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:06:53 pm »
The cheapo bog standard crank puller I got from Mike Dyasons a few years ago is fine on Campag chainsets (when used with a large adjustable spanner instead of the dinky little spanner it comes with).

Be prepared to lean very hard on the spanner.  Put the chain on the big ring to protect yourself, or take chainrings off.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:38:38 pm »
A few years back I had one that worked for my (iirc) suntour chainset.  A friend of a friend borrowed it, and utterly destroyed the thread by forceably screwing it onto a (again iirc) shimano chainset.

Unless the crank was steel, how does an aluminium thread damage a steel tool?  Did he drop the tool on a concrete floor?  Shimano and Suntour have identical extractor threads.

Actually, your previous post reminded me, I'm pretty sure it was a Stronglight chainset extractor, the bike was a Harry Quinn I bought in 84, but it was cheap, I think since the shop hadn't managed to shift it, so it quite possibly dated to some time before 82.

I assume he managed to damage the steel extractor by dint of very determined effort.  I think he was just going to get it screwed on regardless, and even a steel thread repeatedly rotated against the wrong aluminium thread will eventually trash the thread I guess.

As I remember it, the first 1/4" or so of the thread was more or less flat, which I was guess all that he had managed to force into the crank, and then rotate repeatedly until the thread was utterly mashed up.  It clearly took exceptional stupidity to force the tool that much.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2008, 06:04:12 pm »
While fitting a new front mech, I discovered that my BB bearing is a bit on the tight side. I found both my crank extractors but neither would fir the Campag crankset I've got. One I think was the right size thread, but the spanner bit was too chunky to fit over the nut (right size for nut, I think, just too much metal) and the other was the wrong size for the nut.

I decided to let sleeping Campag components lie.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.