Author Topic: Saw someone getting a telling-off tonight  (Read 23625 times)

Re: Saw someone getting a telling-off tonight
« Reply #50 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:24:29 pm »
I kinda knew the answer anyway  ;)

*Puts on mp3 player*
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #51 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:28:18 pm »
Why do drivers not need their hearing, and can perfectly legally drive with the windows up and in soundproofed vehicles?  Why do almost all cars come with sound systems?  Most drivers are effectively deaf because of these factors.  Most cyclists are too when their speed is up given the amount of wind noise in your ears.

National standards is taught to lots of adult cyclists too, so your point about relevance and kids riding is simply wrong.

My youtube channel would be fairly representative of anyone's riding on similar roads, I think.  Perhaps the only difference is you don't carry a video camera, and you probably ignore a lot of bad driving incidents instead of commenting like I do.  I'll take your response to the video challenge as a no then.  Bit like tstegers, if anyone remembers him.  ;)

p.s. perhaps you could bold that paarp in your previous quote of what I wrote to make it obvious that I didn't write that.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #52 on: 26 February, 2010, 03:31:26 pm »
Why do drivers not need their hearing, and can perfectly legally drive with the windows up and in soundproofed vehicles?  Why do almost all cars come with sound systems?  Most drivers are effectively deaf because of these factors. 

Perhaps that partly explains why there are so many crap drivers on the road?

Most cyclists are too when their speed is up given the amount of wind noise in your ears.

Either I'm not as fast as you or my ears are slightly differently set on my head but, although I get some wind noise, it's never enough to totally block out my hearing.  I can still hear things like cars over it.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Fluffy

« Reply #53 on: 26 February, 2010, 04:14:35 pm »
Why do drivers not need their hearing, and can perfectly legally drive with the windows up and in soundproofed vehicles?  Why do almost all cars come with sound systems?  Most drivers are effectively deaf because of these factors.  Most cyclists are too when their speed is up given the amount of wind noise in your ears.

National standards is taught to lots of adult cyclists too, so your point about relevance and kids riding is simply wrong.

My youtube channel would be fairly representative of anyone's riding on similar roads, I think.  Perhaps the only difference is you don't carry a video camera, and you probably ignore a lot of bad driving incidents instead of commenting like I do.  I'll take your response to the video challenge as a no then.  Bit like tstegers, if anyone remembers him.  ;)

p.s. perhaps you could bold that paarp in your previous quote of what I wrote to make it obvious that I didn't write that.

Where is the link to your youtube channel?

« Reply #54 on: 26 February, 2010, 05:09:08 pm »

YouTube
            - CyclingMikey's Channel

No causing arguments with drivers, Flatus?  Is that just a hint that you're slightly quieter and more shy IRL than the warrior you are on here?

Fluffy

« Reply #55 on: 26 February, 2010, 05:11:18 pm »

YouTube
            - CyclingMikey's Channel

No causing arguments with drivers, Flatus?  Is that just a hint that you're slightly quieter and more shy IRL than the warrior you are on here?

Think i am already subscribed to you, thanks for the link

« Reply #56 on: 26 February, 2010, 05:14:24 pm »
Wendy, riding and driving are very different experiences and what is relevant for one is not necessarily for the other.

Oh come on, how can you justify drivers not hearing and insist that cyclists should rely on their hearing with this?  At least be a little more rigorous and specific.  Perhaps you're really saying that it's OK for drivers not to hear and thus to crash into stuff because they are protected in a metal cage?

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #57 on: 26 February, 2010, 05:40:31 pm »
I think the point is that hearing can complement vision; if you can't hear your surroundings then you either compensate by looking more (to which there are limits because you can only view a limited arc at any one time), or compromise your overall awareness.  Maybe not very much and it may not really matter, depending on the circumstances - but the fact that hearing is not very directional means that your ears can pick up cues for things that are out of your range of vision, wherever you happen to be looking at the time.

None of which affects one's right to choose to listen to music on the move.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #58 on: 26 February, 2010, 05:44:37 pm »
Different people use their hearing to different extents whilst cycling.
Those who are reliant on hearing probably should not use headphones.
Some people can observe the road behind easily by looking backwards. Some cannot; some use mirrors, some do not. No matter how much I practiced, looking backwards often induced a  wobble.
I was lucky having very little in the way of traumatic interaction with motor traffic. Maybe I got some things right...

« Reply #59 on: 26 February, 2010, 05:57:06 pm »
Different people use their hearing to different extents whilst cycling.
Those who are reliant on hearing probably should not use headphones.
Some people can observe the road behind easily by looking backwards. Some cannot; some use mirrors, some do not. No matter how much I practiced, looking backwards often induced a  wobble.
I was lucky having very little in the way of traumatic interaction with motor traffic. Maybe I got some things right...

That's actually a very good point.  Perhaps drivers don't need hearing so much because it's very easy for them to look behind with their mirrors?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 26 February, 2010, 06:00:30 pm »
There will always be blind spots when mirrors are used. Never forget.

« Reply #61 on: 26 February, 2010, 06:02:37 pm »
Very true - I actually just deleted a comment in my last post about not needing to turn so much to check blindspots in cars because I couldn't think of a good way to say what I meant.  You need to turn much more to look behind on a bike, which automatically covers the blind spots too.

« Reply #62 on: 26 February, 2010, 07:17:40 pm »
 I'd counter your point by asking you why I almost never see audax riders with headphones? (except at night, including me).  They are after all the people who do big miles in a variety of situations, not just a few miles of cruddy London commuting.

I know of several well known mileaters, 20,000 miles per year and upwards, who are often plugged into headphones. On an event, if they're like me, they'll probably prefer to find a friend to talk to for a change.
There are also some very well known mileaters who don't use headphones, ever.
I consider my MP3 and digital radio to be almost essential. But I also enjoy cycling in silence too.

« Reply #63 on: 26 February, 2010, 07:29:20 pm »
Either I'm not as fast as you or my ears are slightly differently set on my head but, although I get some wind noise, it's never enough to totally block out my hearing.  I can still hear things like cars over it.

My hearing gets notably impaired without headphones at over 15mph with no wind. Over 20mph my hearing isn't too good and over 30mph it's about as bad as having my MP3 player on full volume or maybe even worse. When I'm fit and not tired, I generally ride at 20mph except for uphill and a slight downhill will usually get me up to 30 without effort, so my hearing is generally poor anyway.
With a strong headwind my hearing is hardly any worse than with an MP3 at full volume. I've even swithched off my radio while riding into a headwind. Even at full volume I couldn't hear it because of the noise of the wind rattling around my lugholes.
I can still hear cars if I have my MP3 at full volume, but not as well as I would without.
I'm not fit enough to impair my hearing at the moment but my nice, warm hat that keeps my earholes nice and cosy does that job now.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #64 on: 26 February, 2010, 07:37:18 pm »

If I were Kirst I'd copy out the interesting replies to her original post, remove the entire thread and restart it.
I'll be damned if I'm going to all that trouble. Instead I'll just hunt down everyone who a) thinks I was cycling or b)has chosen to turn this into a debate about hearing vs vision and cut their fingers off so they can't do it again.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #65 on: 26 February, 2010, 07:38:36 pm »
 ;D ;D

Regulator

« Reply #66 on: 26 February, 2010, 10:49:00 pm »

If I were Kirst I'd copy out the interesting replies to her original post, remove the entire thread and restart it.
I'll be damned if I'm going to all that trouble. Instead I'll just hunt down everyone who a) thinks I was cycling or b)has chosen to turn this into a debate about hearing vs vision and cut their fingers off so they can't do it again.

You were walking?!?!  :o

Bloody heretic pedestrian!  >:(

:P ;D

Green Party Councillor

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #67 on: 26 February, 2010, 10:55:23 pm »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #68 on: 27 February, 2010, 07:33:29 pm »

:-[  Sorry Kirst!

But your topic did generate a very interesting debate that I've enjoyed a lot.

« Reply #69 on: 27 February, 2010, 07:34:57 pm »
So Flatus, since you can't make it down to Lundene, get someone else you ride with to film you with a number of traffic interactions and post it up.  Refusal or failure to do so will result in cries of "Chiiiiiicken!".   ;D :P

« Reply #70 on: 27 February, 2010, 07:46:31 pm »
Why on earth would I want to go to London to ride?  You come here, you'd like it.... you'd be like a battery chicken let out of his hutch for the first time...

;)

« Reply #71 on: 27 February, 2010, 07:49:13 pm »
Someone else in your area, slowcoach, or is that CHICKEN!

« Reply #72 on: 27 February, 2010, 07:54:55 pm »
I forgot to ask why?

Regulator

« Reply #73 on: 27 February, 2010, 09:41:40 pm »
Get a room you two...

...any more testosterone on the forum and I'll start getting horny.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #74 on: 27 February, 2010, 10:23:13 pm »
Don't bother mate, you'll never live up to Chuffy's.   ;D