Author Topic: Releasing a bicycle back into the wild  (Read 2887 times)

Releasing a bicycle back into the wild
« on: 03 January, 2021, 06:44:22 pm »
A year or so back I "saved" a Dawes Feather from the skip

Spec:
(click to show/hide)

Anyway, I made it work, replaced the knackered tyres, but I never refurbished it, moved it on or sold it. So I'm thinking of "releasing it back into the wild."

My first port of call was my local half way house, but the friend I have who works there said "lovely idea but no"

So I'm thinking of leaving it unlocked somewhere with a sign on it saying "Free bike, please take and use" possibly somewhere near the bus stop, so it might get picked up by someone to use as transport.

Can anyone see any possible downsides? Liability if someone breaks themselves?
I thought it might encourage bike theft, but can it if I'm giving it away, I'm hoping it might reduce bike thefts by one.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Releasing a bicycle back into the wild
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2021, 06:50:57 pm »
I'd say try to find a charity that renovates old bikes. This one trains prisoners to become cycle mechanics so they have some sort of skill and discipline on release, unfortunately they seem to be only in Bristol and Derby, but there's quite likely something near you. Or give it to a charity shop? Or to a local club or just a friend who can do it up?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2021, 07:49:15 pm »
Charity that renovates old bikes.
Yeah, that was my first look, but at the moment I'm looking for something within walking distance (for the return journey) a local furniture charity may be the closest hit, I'll check if they are still open.

Or to a local club or just a friend who can do it up?
I was spurred into action by someone from our local club moving on a refurbished bike, I'm not too sure how many local retro bike fans still have the garage room, and I'd prefer it becomes an n1 rather than an n+1 if you catch my drift.

These are eminently sensible suggestions though.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2021, 12:43:15 pm »
Don't know where you are but our local household waste site (Foxhall Road) has something called the Barnabas Trust which resells stuff that's arrived in resellable condition - including bikes and bits of bike.  Admittedly it's a few miles away from chateau arabella, the time I purchased a bike there I did the ride one bike/push another option (& the "new" bike wasn't rideable anyway) - presumably you could do the same?

I imagine other waste sites may do similar
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2021, 01:24:25 pm »
York one usually has a bike heap. It seems any that can be saved are picked up by a recycler appropriately.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2021, 07:32:23 pm »
local household waste site

Not a bad call, given that the pile is almost entirely BSOs the nice stuff must be filtered out at some point.

I have replaced the Brookes with something else, and re wrapped the bar tape to look more loved, so where ever it ends up it is ready for its next big adventure.

« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2021, 07:50:41 am »
I know of a few bike- related charities, often training particular groups of people, and usually providing bikes to improve people’s situation.
I’d be surprised if my area is particularly untypical, and I think that there will be something near where you are.

« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2021, 07:54:30 am »
York one usually has a bike heap. It seems any that can be saved are picked up by a recycler appropriately.

There’s a charity in York that appears on EBay from time to time selling more desirable or vintage parts that have been harvested to raise funds.

« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2021, 07:34:35 pm »
Trouble is some tow rag will nick it. Anyone standing at a bus stop will think someone just forgot to lock it. Bikes round here are a thing of the past all they use is these darn electric scooters. So everywhere you go there are groups of them round bus stops. Being electric you don't have to exert any energy. I have an old Raleigh bike that was given to me. The guy who owned it no longer took it out as he was 89 years old. Bought it new in 1970's and boy was it expensive. For what he paid for it with it's Campagnolia gears etc you could have bought a decent SH car.

Hope your bike finds a good home. Suppose you could leave it outside a school with a sign.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #9 on: 25 February, 2021, 12:31:17 pm »
Sell it (on Ebay) and give the funds to a suitable charity? That way, you know the new owner wants it enough to pay money for it. You can list it for local collection only to save you having to mail it.

« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2021, 10:10:07 pm »
It's a great thread title!