Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3886572 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21925 on: 21 June, 2018, 07:10:19 pm »
As I had a couple of hours free, 25 miles to Lichfield and back to get some miles in the legs before I go touring at the end of next week. Sunny and uneventful, apart from my band-on DT shifters somehow slipping over the stop, but bodged it back on to get me home with functioning gears.  Have touched up the scratches in the paint, and will sort it properly tomorrow once it's all dry.

« Reply #21926 on: 21 June, 2018, 09:16:20 pm »
Yesterday was an explore round Kielder forest, joining up the dots between some MBA bothies.

Strava - Bothy Bashing. Off-road counts double, right?

And some more photos here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/129018234@N07/albums/72157697722566304

« Reply #21927 on: 21 June, 2018, 09:48:20 pm »
I am afraid not so . it should read 10.5 ave  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #21928 on: 21 June, 2018, 11:05:07 pm »
Good pics Dale  :thumbsup:

« Reply #21929 on: 22 June, 2018, 09:36:03 am »
Looks a good trip Dale, liked the pictures
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #21930 on: 22 June, 2018, 10:17:26 am »
Yesterday, a great club run around the Lake of Mentieth to exploit the longest day. Sunny, decent size group (not stupid big) and the pace was spot on, and a pb on the last thrash over the campsies. Loved it !

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21931 on: 22 June, 2018, 04:50:02 pm »
I set out to do a DIY300 yesterday but it ended up as a completely different ride, so I'm writing it up here not in the audax board. I'd planned a route out to Chippenham then on tracks through Calne and Cherhill to Avebury. From there I would continue eastward, but mainly on roads, as far as a place called Halfway, which is on the A4 halfway between Hungerford and Newbury – or between Bristol and London, if you look at the bigger picture. Then up through Wantage, over the Thames west of Oxford and up to Charlbury before heading south through Brize Norton then west via Lechlade and Tetbury then down into Bristol. Things started going wrong before I'd even got on the bike; I was just lifting it through the door when my back seized solid. I seemed to have done something nasty to a muscle or tendon in my left shoulder. Not had that happen before, but I diagnosed that cycling would be good for it, and my diagnosis was correct.

So, on the bike and away. But before I'd even got out of Bristol, my left foot felt wrong. I adjusted the cleat position and that seemed to help. And my front mudguard was wobbling and rubbing on the tyre. More of that later. Heavy traffic in Chippenham then I was out on the cycle track, which I think is an old railway line. It can get pretty muddy there but yesterday it was decently dry. Then there's the narrow, brambly bit round the quarry to Cherhill, through the village and more tracks, but over fields, taking you into the back of Avebury. Avebury was full of a thousand neo-hippies, anarchists, pagans out to celebrate the solstice, many of them wrapped up in stripy blankets despite the heat, while others were shirtless. Also present were several groups of what might be described as middle-class middle-aged wannabe-hippies – hipster hippies, perhaps – some also sporting stripy blankets, but fashioned into "ethnic" style garments. Along with a few bemused East Asian tourists. And me! From Avebury a blat along the A4, nice and rolling, into Marlborough, where I stopped for tea, cake and a toastie. Then back roads to Hungerford and along parallel to the A4 but the other side of the canal, till I joined the A4 just short of Halfway.

Halfway is a place – it's not even a village, just a pub and one or two houses – named for being halfway between Hungerford and Newbury. It first appeared as a coaching inn, where coaches would change horses, and somehow survived into the twenty-first century. Here I stopped to take a photo – and noticed that my headlight was askew. Closer inspection revealed that it had been knocked out of alignment by the brake cables I'd tucked behind it when I was de-wobbling the mudguard, and more importantly, this had ripped the dynamo wiring out of the headlight. The terminals were still attached to the headlight and firmly closed but the wires were loose. No way I could get them back in. Also no way I was going to complete a 300 in daylight, even on the longest day. Obviously the audacious thing would have been to cut some strands from a barbed wire fence to make new cable, then forage in the bins of the Halfway pub for an old coke can which I would fashion into terminals before crimping the whole ensemble with my teeth. Job done and who needs a bike shop! However, I guess I just wasn't in the right frame of my mind, or as the old folks like to put, my head wasn't in the right space, so I looked for an alternative route that would get me home before dark.

There were three options: I could retrace what I'd ridden, I could head straight west along the A4 or I could carry on in the planned northward direction for a while before heading homeward. The last was by far the most attractive, so I found myself riding along the B4000 (pretty cool number, I reckon) towards Lambourn. A nice Roman road, straight but not Kansas, not flat but not hilly, very smoothly surfaced. Plenty of good scenery especially to the left and ahead. Not much traffic. Got into Lambourn ("Home of the Racehorse") and thought an ice cream would be a good idea, so went into the Co-op. Selected a Feast (because what is an ice cream on a stick if it doesn't remind you of being 12?) and then saw a man wearing a T-shirt with the logo "Forecast for the weekend: Camping with a high chance of cider." Well, I was camping two weekends ago but I didn't have any cider – I prefer beer! So I got a beer as well. Ate the ice cream outside the shop and rode off towards Shrivenham then up a byway where I drank the beer. If you're going to abandon an audax, abandon it with style. Or do I mean abandon all style? It's both good and dangerous to have a key ring with a bottle opener built in; luckily the 25% rule prevents overindulgence on an actual audax. (And in case you're wondering, I did not leave the empty bottle there – I jammed the top back on, having rinsed it out in case it leaked anyway, and took it off in my rack pack.)

Nothing much to report about the rest of the ride. I reached some crazy speed on the big descent into Shrivenham and hit a hole which might have been nasty with narrower tyres but was merely a jolt with the big 42s, meandered through Highworth and into Purton, where Mr Kipling's finest bakewell tarts were consumed (I'm sorry, Mr Kipling, but they weren't really that fine; you should have stuck to the writing). And onwards to home, arriving back just after the streetlights came on. Well timed in the end!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

the_bicycle_barber

• My bike's really heavy.
« Reply #21932 on: 22 June, 2018, 06:50:12 pm »
Yup. Popped up the coast to Sheringham Tescos, as we'd run out of eggs. Not an epic by any means, but it was a nice day for it.
I cycle around the place cutting hair. Clue's in the title, really.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21933 on: 24 June, 2018, 08:20:01 am »
Yesterday pm, a soporific trundle with El Prez up to our usual ice ream & espresso shop in Dahn. Despite lack of kph I didn't feel great, maybe because it was a chilly 20°C; or maybe I needed more kph. Funnily, though, when I got home my quads hurt & still do, enough to make me abandon the somewhat more robust ride I'd planned for today. Bah.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21934 on: 24 June, 2018, 01:27:55 pm »
After the Montgeron-Bedoin UAF 1000 finished yesterday, we rolled over Ventoux from Malaucene. A long, slow, painfull climb but I eventually got to the top and stopped to pay my respects at the Kramer and Simpson memorials on the way down. My first time up the Giant of Provence and I'll have to think hard about trying it multiple times in a day. Lunch has gone down well and we just have a roll downhill to Carpentras shortly for tonight's hotel and then tomorrow's trains.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Have you been out today?
« Reply #21935 on: 24 June, 2018, 08:19:15 pm »
A nice rolling ride up to Chelwood Gate and back, not quite the route I intended but enjoyable. I paused by a pond at Down Street where there were lots of dragonflies. pictures here About 60km / 3 and a quarter hours. Then had to put up a new shower curtain rail before I could wash. :rollseyes:

« Reply #21936 on: 24 June, 2018, 09:23:02 pm »
A few Moulton riders and others tagged on to a VCC 50 ride from Cambridge P&R Newmarket Road in brilliant weather, not even an appreciable wind! Eighteen riders all told. Fordham for lunch at Scotdales Garden Centre, on to tea and cakes at St Laurence church in Wicken and back across the fens. 50.3 miles on my bike computer.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #21937 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:30:06 am »
Yesterday I was riding with a friend in the North Yorkshire Moors. Note to self, never let the skinny mountain goat plan the route.

Riding down chimney bank was hairy. But we made up for it by finding at least 4 other 30%+ climbs. The weather was scorchio!

My mate races cyclocross in the winter, so also added some gravel road riding too. He seemed to be in his element with one foot clipped out in the corners and spinning the rear on slippery climbs.

I'm exhausted - but it was really wonderful too. The best day out. Like every day on a bike. :)

A link to his photos on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkf-5ncBNTr/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=t4jpzarvrny6

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21938 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:02:34 pm »
After the Montgeron-Bedoin UAF 1000 finished yesterday, we rolled over Ventoux from Malaucene...

The Malaucene route is by far the most pleasant, although when I rounded the Chalet Liotard curve and looked up at the summit it scared the pith out of me. The descent via Bédoin is a dream, though.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21939 on: 27 June, 2018, 08:23:08 pm »
After the Montgeron-Bedoin UAF 1000 finished yesterday, we rolled over Ventoux from Malaucene...

The Malaucene route is by far the most pleasant, although when I rounded the Chalet Liotard curve and looked up at the summit it scared the pith out of me. The descent via Bédoin is a dream, though.

It might be a dream if the descent isn't stuffed up by slow-descending cyclists, too many motorcyclists cutting you up on corners and too many motorists going both up and down and getting in the way. I had to use the brakes a lot more than the road itself deserved, which felt like a huge waste of the pain required to get to the top.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #21940 on: 27 June, 2018, 10:11:25 pm »
Woking to Brighton via the downs link. Lovely.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21941 on: 28 June, 2018, 08:05:57 am »

It might be a dream if the descent isn't stuffed up by slow-descending cyclists, too many motorcyclists cutting you up on corners and too many motorists going both up and down and getting in the way. I had to use the brakes a lot more than the road itself deserved, which felt like a huge waste of the pain required to get to the top.

Shame.  Last time I did it I only had to brake for the tighter curves, and coffee at Chalet Reynard.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21942 on: 28 June, 2018, 09:10:36 am »
There isn't a minimum speed for cycling.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21943 on: 29 June, 2018, 08:38:55 pm »
out on a circualr route, 45km or so starting heading northerly to give a southerly/easterly return with the wind.  Heading up the bank past Littleport and then towards Ten-Mile-Bank, it was tough into the wind.  The road was pretty much northerly with a wind blowing down the river, so no protection from the high banks at all.  I passed a young lass (I can say that as I'm nearly 45) on an upright, who then hopped onto my wheel.  She seemed to be getting some relief as she stuck there all the way to Modney Bridge where I turned left for home and she carried on up NCN 11 to Kings Lynn, or at least that was her intent.   She'd come from Stevenage  and I think she'd been suffering in the wind.

I turned for home downwind and immediately went from 25-26km/h to about 34-35 back past Welney Wetlands centre.  It was a tough wind even on a recumbent. 

45km total in about 1hr 45, hard work.   Done a 70km and 2 x 45 this week so far, plan is another 40-45 tomorrow.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21944 on: 29 June, 2018, 09:50:08 pm »
There isn't a minimum speed for cycling.

There is for a worthwhile mountain descent.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21945 on: 01 July, 2018, 01:56:13 pm »
Ended up with 57km yesterday, at completely the wrong time of day. Despite only being out for two hours, got a bit scorched and a bit of heatstroke I think, felt fuzzy headed for the rest of the day.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #21946 on: 01 July, 2018, 02:43:38 pm »
Got up much too late after a night spent fighting against humungous great flying ants. Finally got out at 11h15 for a short ride and got in 1h later, just as the temperature was tipping over 30°. It's a bad time when it's too hot to enjoy a cold beer on the terrace :(

« Reply #21947 on: 01 July, 2018, 09:37:49 pm »
A Potter along the Slough arm of the grand union canal which I followed to the main line .I then rode down the main line to hanwell lock's from where I returned to Slough via road's passing through Hayes to the South of the canal and through West Drayton and Langley .
As I was riding down the towpath near west Drayton I met.  a boat owning recumbent rider .we spent quite a long time chatting . I am hoping that he might say hello on hear sometime  . :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #21948 on: 02 July, 2018, 02:00:59 pm »
Sustrans group yesterday with a very pleasant trundle out to local stately manor. It was hot with higher humidity. Dear old NT, two pounds for teabag and a cup of boiling water. Melting tarmac and village fete intermissions on the way back. Must get some tabs as cramps never far away.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #21949 on: 02 July, 2018, 08:14:28 pm »
Only to the workplace and back, but lifted by taking a longer backroad in while the cool of the morning was still about. Up here East Yorks coast the NE wind I was mythering about all of May has been keeping the heat tolerable instead. Forecast to change on Thursday though, will have to make the most of the mornings!