Author Topic: World cup 2018  (Read 61071 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: World cup 2018
« Reply #125 on: 22 June, 2018, 09:03:39 pm »
Switzerland v Serbia; yet another incident, in this case two defenders wrestling a striker
to the ground from a dead-ball kick. Why are the refs scared of giving penalties for these fouls? ::-)

That was one of the most comical things I’ve ever seen on a football pitch. How it wasn’t a penalty is beyond my ken.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #126 on: 22 June, 2018, 10:06:09 pm »
Switzerland v Serbia; yet another incident, in this case two defenders wrestling a striker
to the ground from a dead-ball kick. Why are the refs scared of giving penalties for these fouls? ::-)

That was one of the most comical things I’ve ever seen on a football pitch. How it wasn’t a penalty is beyond my ken.

Took two of them to bring him down though, even then they were struggling a bit - some people are not easy to topple :D
Garry Broad

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #127 on: 22 June, 2018, 10:58:54 pm »

Just scrap VAR now.  There's simply no point in saying you have it if you don't use it to spot that.

Fucking ridiculous!!  That would constitute assault on any British street.

It's illegal in Rugby ferchristssake!
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #128 on: 23 June, 2018, 10:39:26 am »

Just scrap VAR now.  There's simply no point in saying you have it if you don't use it to spot that.

Fucking ridiculous!!  That would constitute assault on any British street.

It's illegal in Rugby ferchristssake!

I'm not sure that the Ref gets all the viewing angles that are available to the broadcasters. In one match they reviewed an incident that looked a bit iffy from the front view but from a side angle showed a clearly illegal tackle. The ref's booth only seemed to show the first angle, he got it right eventually.

Yesterdays wrestling should have been spotted though.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #129 on: 23 June, 2018, 11:25:43 am »
Yesterdays wrestling should have been spotted though.

Look where the ref was standing. I'm not sure if he couldn't have had a better view.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44581546

I wonder sometimes if VAR might tempt the ref NOT to make a decision on a situation, hoping that the folk upstairs will give him a whisper in his ear to stop the action and review.

The ref in the BrazilvCostaRica game yesterday, gave a penalty for what was obviously [when seen again] a Neymer dive. He reviewed it and changed his mind.

What I'm unsure of is: can the ref use VAR without a prompt from upstairs, or does he have to wait for the call from officials to review.

One thing I most definitely don't like about VAR is the unleashing of an attitude from players and managers in the heat of the moment hounding the ref to review, making all kinds of aggressive hand gestures. It's already started to happen and it's a pressure they could do without.
Garry Broad

« Reply #130 on: 23 June, 2018, 11:57:38 am »
Yes, the Refs and assistants are told to only flag offsides or award pens if they think there is no doubt and rely on VAR to go back and review marginal calls. It doesn't work if the VAR team (not sure how many are watching) fails to spot an offence in real time. Once play has restarted they can't go back and review.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

citoyen

« Reply #131 on: 23 June, 2018, 01:07:59 pm »
Talking about offsides, I'm not keen on this apparent new directive to wait and see how the play develops before flagging an offside. It shouldn't be up to the linesman to decide whether it's affecting play, he should just flag it immediately and let the ref make the decision.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #132 on: 23 June, 2018, 09:01:44 pm »
Every time they mention Hector, I want the next name to be Achilles. And it happened! Albeit in the anatomical sense, but that's good enough.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #133 on: 24 June, 2018, 10:20:50 am »
The Germans? What is it about them? Time after time, never beaten, so strong, so powerful. What a finish. It's difficult to talk about  :)
I've been indulging myself to as many games as possible, sometimes three a day, and for the most part, the games have been excellent and it's been thoroughly enjoyable.
Garry Broad

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #134 on: 24 June, 2018, 10:38:17 am »
That last minute goal was such a shame, but you knew it was going to happen when five minutes injury time were announced.
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #135 on: 24 June, 2018, 11:00:29 am »
I think we know that Germany will somehow turn this around and end up winning the World Cup, just like we all know that England will somehow find a way of turning an easy group into a nail-biting final 5 minutes of their final group game.

I'm still standing by my earlier prophecy

It comes down to belief.  The Germans believe they will eventually win while the English, deep-down, know that they will suddenly turn into headless chickens trying to see-out the final 15 minutes.

We all knew the Germans would score that free kick.  If it had been Golf then the Swiss would have given them a "gimme" to save time.  Bloody annoying though.

There's still remote possibility that the Germans won't make it but I think they've had their scare now and they haven't. 

I haven't checked the draw, so when is the England vs Germany penalty shoot-out scheduled for?

citoyen

« Reply #136 on: 24 June, 2018, 12:23:23 pm »
This is what a friend posted on Facebook, during the game:

“This is a seismic result,” says itv commentator. With 11 minutes plus injury time to go. Don’t you know who’s playing?

The late winner was all too predictable.

citoyen

« Reply #137 on: 24 June, 2018, 01:24:42 pm »
Panama are truly awful. Based on the first 22 mins of this match, probably the worst side I’ve seen in the competition so far. Although to be fair I haven’t seen either of Saudi Arabia’s games.

Also very dirty. They’ll be lucky if they make it to half time with 11 still on the pitch.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #138 on: 24 June, 2018, 01:27:33 pm »
Who are the blithering idiots commentating?

« Reply #139 on: 24 June, 2018, 01:39:30 pm »
Well, well, Lee - Jesse Lingard - what do I know?!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #140 on: 24 June, 2018, 01:46:43 pm »
That’s a good half.

citoyen

« Reply #141 on: 24 June, 2018, 01:54:49 pm »
C’est magnifique mais ce n’est pas la guerre.

Good solid display from England - this performance will certainly help if it comes down to goal difference.

Lingard’s goal was fantastic.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #142 on: 24 June, 2018, 02:03:51 pm »
At last, a Referee puts a stop to the farcical wrestling.

Panama are a bunch of cynical, dirty, whining, bastards.  I hope it ends up 10 and they can eff-off back home.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #143 on: 24 June, 2018, 02:33:15 pm »
I'm very disappointed by the commentators and the pundits - or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Has no-one pointed out that Panama has been swept away by a Harrykane?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #144 on: 24 June, 2018, 02:38:22 pm »
F***ing sloppy, lazy passing by England.

I worry that it's that aspect of our game that will haunt us against proper teams.  6-0 against Panama and we suddenly think we're 1970's Brazil and get lazy.

« Reply #145 on: 24 June, 2018, 02:41:09 pm »
At last, a Referee puts a stop to the farcical wrestling

The pundits saying an incredible half of football.  Not really.  It’s panama
The only incredible thing is the ref gave 2 penalties

I hope he really clamps down on the cheating now

« Reply #146 on: 24 June, 2018, 02:43:15 pm »
Hope vardy gets on the score sheet

citoyen

« Reply #147 on: 24 June, 2018, 02:45:04 pm »
At last, a Referee puts a stop to the farcical wrestling.

Panama are a bunch of cynical, dirty, whining, bastards.  I hope it ends up 10 and they can eff-off back home.

I think the ref has done them a favour by being strict on that nonsense - it has forced them to play some actual football in the second half.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #148 on: 24 June, 2018, 02:46:53 pm »
We’ve been poor this half.

the_bicycle_barber

• My bike's really heavy.
« Reply #149 on: 24 June, 2018, 02:52:53 pm »
Another quiet one from Raheem Sterling. Ref's had a good game.
I cycle around the place cutting hair. Clue's in the title, really.