Author Topic: Is anyone a member of the Moulton Bicycle Club?  (Read 2084 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Is anyone a member of the Moulton Bicycle Club?
« on: 23 September, 2018, 08:20:40 pm »
I don't want to join just to read the classifieds in case there's nothing on there (also reports of people paying and not getting access).  Can anyone please have a look and tell me if there are any APBs or TSRs for sale up to £700 within 80 miles of Swindon?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Is anyone a member of the Moulton Bicycle Club?
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:28:46 pm »
Have you tried messaging LWaB?

« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:58:02 pm »
You won't get a TSR for that kind of price.

Someone in Solihull selling two APBs for £650 each, a 27 speed and a 7 speed.

PM me if you want the details.

rogerzilla

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2018, 12:08:38 pm »
I take it SRAM Dual Drive is to be avoided now that parts are no longer made?  IME SRAM hubs break clutch keys and have poor sealing, so you needed a reliable supply of spares.

« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2018, 12:33:05 pm »
The transmission could be replaced by an 8 or 11 speed hub.

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2018, 01:37:06 pm »
I've just checked. There's an orange TSR2 for £600 but up in Aberdeen, belt drive, rack, bags, guards, looks in good nick but not all TSR2s have the braze ons for derailleurs. Next price wise is an AM 14, but currently with 8 speed SA hub for £1250 in Devon. If you win the lottery there's an stainless steel AM Speed with Super Record - POA North London!

I got my TSR via a post on the Moulton Yahoo Group. Despite appearances it is still working and active (took a few days for my registration to be accepted). Any TSR on ebat seems to go for £1,000 plus, APBs come up in your price range though. Also try the CTC forum, a few Moultoneers on there.

rogerzilla

« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2018, 03:01:00 pm »
I've been offered most (less shifters, bars, chain, rear mech and saddle) of a very late TSR for a reasonable price.  There was a good TSR9 on fleaBay near me last week but it went for £800.

There was a nice APB on the MBC classifieds for £650 but it's now on eBay for £850 and the seller won't honour the original price.  The eBay listing is unusually aggressive, referring to "cheating scum" and refusing buyers with 0 feedback even though the seller has...0 feedback  ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2018, 03:02:58 pm »
The TSR frame is noticeably better than an APB in a couple of different ways. The TSR2 has a narrow rear triangle, track dropouts and no cable guides. Most other TSRs have the full range of fittings to allow derailleur gears to be fitted.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #8 on: 26 September, 2018, 09:45:57 am »
Am I right in thinking TSRs are still made, but by Moulton now rather than Pashley?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 26 September, 2018, 11:49:13 am »
TSRs are made by Pashley in Stratford. Pashley is Moulton by the way. Pashley has owned Moulton for several years.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...