Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2996381 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23525 on: 16 December, 2018, 09:57:11 am »
Or if in your own kitchen, run the lid under a tap, the lid expands quicker than the jar and makes it easier.  The sauerkraut I regularly buy is a particular case in point
I've got one of those Boa Constrictor openers at home  :smug:
(At least I think I have, I leant it to my brother when he broke his arm, can't remember if I got it back or not)

So have I.

I gave a mini-Boa Constrictor to a newly-widowed friend once and she was most grateful.

One for the lid and one for the jar works well.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23526 on: 16 December, 2018, 11:18:26 am »
We had a pot luck lunch today. Myself and a sort of new colleague were trying and failing to open a jar of dip. We were both going "I refuse to ask a man". Probably not because we have any particular problem with that, but because present was an odious example of the worst sort of male chauvinist pig. The man is a complete arse.
Anyway, after some scuttering about I found a tin opener with a bottle opener end which allowed me to release the vacuum and we were in. All happy :)

Tip of the day: when struggling to open a vacuum sealed jar, upend the object and rap the lid firmly and squarely on a flat surface. Turn it back the right way and be surprised.

I tried this out this morning and it worked  :thumbsup:
Science isn't dull.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23527 on: 16 December, 2018, 12:19:20 pm »
There is a constant stream of Santas running past the house.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23528 on: 16 December, 2018, 12:24:55 pm »
We're down to just the puffed walking Santas now.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23529 on: 16 December, 2018, 12:30:48 pm »
But which one is the real Santa?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23530 on: 16 December, 2018, 12:33:51 pm »
But which one is the real Santa?

The one stuck up the chimney.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23531 on: 16 December, 2018, 05:14:27 pm »
We had a pot luck lunch today. Myself and a sort of new colleague were trying and failing to open a jar of dip. We were both going "I refuse to ask a man". Probably not because we have any particular problem with that, but because present was an odious example of the worst sort of male chauvinist pig. The man is a complete arse.
Anyway, after some scuttering about I found a tin opener with a bottle opener end which allowed me to release the vacuum and we were in. All happy :)

Tip of the day: when struggling to open a vacuum sealed jar, upend the object and rap the lid firmly and squarely on a flat surface. Turn it back the right way and be surprised.

I tried this out this morning and it worked  :thumbsup:
Science isn't dull.
So did I.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23532 on: 16 December, 2018, 06:15:09 pm »
Didn't work on the sauerkraut this evening, but the hot tap did the job.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #23533 on: 17 December, 2018, 08:29:37 am »
Warm up a ring on the cooker - lowest setting should do - put jar upside down for a little while - only for metal tops!
My favourite ploy is to let everybody else have a go; this manipulates the top and warms it. I have quite big hands, so a 2lb. jar is OK and, once 'per-conditioned', is usually within my grasp.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #23534 on: 17 December, 2018, 09:18:46 am »
Didn't work on the sauerkraut this evening, but the hot tap did the job.

I always turn the jar upside down and smack the bottom a couple of times, as opposed to banging bthe lid on a hard surface. Same principle tho. Then if that fails it's the hot tap, or even some boiled water.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23535 on: 17 December, 2018, 01:49:56 pm »
I go for the Superman method - get Lois Lane to open it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #23536 on: 17 December, 2018, 02:08:12 pm »
This way is very reliable...

« Reply #23537 on: 17 December, 2018, 02:13:38 pm »
+1

That, or a spoon to lever the lip of the lid out enough to break the seal.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23538 on: 17 December, 2018, 07:56:08 pm »
It was all go in the Co-op today. There was a long que for the machines that go bleep so I joined the faster-moving qeu for the humans. This proved to be a good move because at the head of the quu was a large tin of Quuuuality Street with a note informing customers they were welcome to tuck in by way of apology for the seasonal quees. I'm not a huge fan of Quaality Street but hey, never look a gift sweet in the wrapper and all that.

But that was only the beginning of the excitement! As I got to the head of the qeuu, I caught a snippet of shop talk:
Shop assistant one: Where is he now?
Shop assistant two: He's out the back. They're arresting him.
Shop assistant one: They think he did it in the shop.
And sure enough, when I exited the emporium of gaudily wrapped sweeties, there was a young chap in black being bundled in a most uncomfortable way into one of Her Majesty's Taxi Cabs by another young chap in black. Presumably a shoplifter (the first young chap in black, I mean) though the last line of shop talk seems to imply it was a crime that might also be committed elsewhere.

And the quuuuuuu wasn't really that long either.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #23539 on: 17 December, 2018, 08:37:33 pm »
Gaah! Now I want to scoop out my eyes with sporks!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

« Reply #23540 on: 17 December, 2018, 09:15:46 pm »
Gaah! Now I want to scoop out my eyes with sporks!

Sporks would be an appropriate tool, stabby and scoopy  :thumbsup:

« Reply #23541 on: 18 December, 2018, 07:10:03 am »
I wonder if Kim or Tim were technical consultants.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #23542 on: 18 December, 2018, 05:49:37 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-46608795

Whatever is being poured in that picture does NOT qualify as 'tea', whether Yorkshire or otherwise.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23543 on: 18 December, 2018, 09:32:08 pm »

Whatever is being poured in that picture does NOT qualify as 'tea', whether Yorkshire or otherwise.
I think even my friend Frank, who drinks Olympian quantities of tea and whose motto is "There's no such thing as a bad cup of tea. There are good cups of tea and better cups of tea" might shy away from that homeopathic brew.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #23544 on: 18 December, 2018, 10:07:31 pm »
This way is very reliable...

I stick the knife under the lid to release the seal. Works perfectly and I'm less likely to drop the jar on the floor.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #23545 on: 19 December, 2018, 08:01:01 am »
Seen on facebook

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23546 on: 19 December, 2018, 08:44:40 am »

MrsT refers to the various herbal concoctions she buys as tea, and gets quite narked when I ask for a cup of real tea, which she wants to call 'black' tea. Some of her tisanes are almost palatable, but they've SFA to do with C. sinensis. Most of them make me want to puke.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23547 on: 19 December, 2018, 08:47:49 am »

MrsT refers to the various herbal concoctions she buys as tea, and gets quite narked when I ask for a cup of real tea, which she wants to call 'black' tea. Some of her tisanes are almost palatable, but they've SFA to do with C. sinensis. Most of them make me want to puke.
This to the max. Well not quite the puking, though some of them are disgustingly sweet. Some others are quite decent though – fennel, mint and nettle are all okay. But they're not tea.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23548 on: 19 December, 2018, 10:09:36 am »

As my dear departed maternal grandfather was wont to say when presented with such a brew; ‘I do hope they’ve shot the poor horse!’
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

« Reply #23549 on: 19 December, 2018, 10:55:30 am »
You know why you can never get a decent cup of tea at a labour party meeting?

Get ready for it!

Because all proper tea is theft

It's the red fleece on the peg over there.