General Category > Tandems

Small wheel separable tandem+crew needed Glasgow train loading trial

(1/2) > >>

MartynA:
Do you have a small wheel separable tandem such as a Bike Friday or a Circe Helios with the separable system? We need crew and bike for a a train loading trial in Glasgow on 1st of December. To fill in the background to this trial: Last year Scotrail came out with new rules for taking tandems on their trains so you can take a tandem on some services. At the same time they brought in a ban on taking separated tandems on any services. Most of the companies are easy about tandems that split for transport letting them load as two solos so this ban came as an unwelcome surprise. We will be taking part in the loading trial in Glasgow with a big wheel tandem with S & S couplers, certainly the most common sort of splitting frame, but it would very useful to have a small-wheeler along too. Please comment and message me if you can help.

fimm:
Try posting here: http://citycyclingedinburgh.info/bbpress/ I know there are some Circe Helios owners on that forum.

MartynA:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Until a few hours ago we appeared to have a Bike Friday and crew lined up but have just found out the crew has other pressing business on Friday so I will try posting as you suggest now.

Martyn

MartynA:
The five loading trials in Glasgow went very well. We only had one big wheel separable to load but given the perceived difficulties from the Scotrail side (largely dispelled by the trials I hope) and the time available using in-service trains during their dwell time in Glasgow, this was the ideal number of bikes. I am following up the helpful lead for Edinburgh.

We also got first hand experience of travelling with our heavy touring tandem in one piece on three Avanti West Coast Pendolinos.

It was a bit cold hanging around at the stations, well below recommended temperatures for our eigth decades of life but we also fitted in a happy ride along the canal to the Falkirk Wheel and back, all done by an hour or so after sunset.

Kim:

--- Quote from: MartynA on 03 December, 2023, 01:42:06 pm ---We also got first hand experience of travelling with our heavy touring tandem in one piece on three Avanti West Coast Pendolinos.

--- End quote ---

How did that go?  I've only used one once since before the plague (fortunately with a standard mountain bike), and was disappointed that the unconventional-bike-friendly cupboard area has been downgraded with dangly bike racks, and the internal door is now crew access only to prevent you getting your bike ready to unload before arriving at your destination.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version