General Category > Freewheeling

Puncture Proof Positive that Cyclists are Nicer...

(1/6) > >>

boudinnoirsurvélo:
... than your average commuter.

Bloody fecking broken-glass-ignoring council. They've got one of the best cyclepaths going in the Innocent Railway (in fact that, together with the Trinity Path, showcases in Edinburgh just how good off-road paths CAN be) and yet it doesn't get cleared of snow and ice (see previous whinges); doesn't get cleared of debris from work on the surrounding flora; and is currently the setting for a glass industry expo.

I thought something had got caught in the wheel, but the noise continued when I stopped, and there was that heart-sinking moment when I realised I was 2 miles from home, with a puncture repair kit, but no pump.  >:(

I know exactly where it is. Anyway, the second cyclist to pass stopped, asked if I was alright, asked if I had everything I needed, then leant me his pump, with a note on a business card of his home address, to return it later tonight. Yay! He commented that I'd do the same for someone else, to which I replied I had actually offered the same in the past, but the chap was only a few hundred yards from work so was happy enough to carry on walking. Karma see.

Every second cyclist or so slowed as well to ask if I was okay, cheered me up no end. Which is just as well cos I realised I also didn't have any tyre levers, though I managed to improvise with the coated hooked ends of a bungee cord in my panniers. Worked a treat.

And then later a taxi driver held back deliberately so I could get past a bus!

What is slightly confusing, however, is the fact that I got to my desk 20 minutes later than usual. But I know it didn't take me 20 minutes to sort the puncture. Where did the lost time go...?

clarion:
There's some very nice people about, eh?

And you're one of them.

Eccentrica Gallumbits:
Apart from the several dozen fuckers who ignored my struggles last night... But yes, there are lots of helpful cyclists. And yes, the glass is ridiculous just now. Was it just by the chicanes at lamppost BIU6? Cos if so, I reported it yesterday morning.  >:(

Basil:
I've left my pump and spare inner tube with other cyclists twice now.
One was returned the same evening, the other a worrying three days later.  ???
Although the box of Roses chockies helped me forgive him.  :thumbsup:

Greenbank:
And to restore the balance:

"Take your headphones off when you're cycling you idiot. And wear a helmet."

(Funny how I could hear him clearly despite having my music on.)

said the **** who then jumped the red light and almost hit a pedestrian on the crossing.

That's why, when I overtook you, I called you a **** amongst other things.

Hmm. This isn't the rant thread is it?

I rarely stop for people in London, but will do if flagged down by someone. Zefal have made at least one extra sale based on someone borrowing my pump and saying "I've got to get me one of these!"

On my commute, if I stopped for 10 minutes at the side of the road at commute'o'clock I'd have close to 500 cyclists passing me. Saying "No thanks, I'm fine!" would get tiring at about one a second.

P.S. This isn't a 3 in 1 Brucie Bonus attempt at trying to start an RLJ-ing/Helmet/Headphones debate :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version