General Category > Freewheeling

Cycling in fancy dress - tips from CM types or others?

(1/3) > >>

RJ:
I'm taking part in a friendly climate change event on Wednesday.  I have My friend has promised to go dressed in a bird costume (robin or black grouse - tbc).  I have My friend has also threatened to do this on a bike, but am is having Niggling Doubts of a wobbly crash nature.

Costume and bike combo can be trialled in a quiet car park tomorrow.  Any pointers?

(Mods/Movers: This is *probably*: (a) waaayyy to frivolous for The Knowledge; (b) too tech'y for Politics and Big Issues; and (c) most likely to be read in Freewheeling by the people most likely to be able to help within the timeframe ...)

Thanks in advance ...

Julian:
Some practice at cycling in fancy dress tells me that while you can be as exotic as you like with the upper body, don't under any circumstances do anything much with the lower body.

How about black jeans / trousers, then feathers on the torso, beak held on with elastic and lots of twigs on the rack and handlebars to make a nest?

RJ:
Fortunately (well - maybe), the costume exists, but remains uninspected.

--- Quote from: Liz on 20 April, 2009, 11:24:53 pm ---Some practice at cycling in fancy dress tells me that while you can be as exotic as you like with the upper body, don't under any circumstances do anything much with the lower body.

--- End quote ---

On that basis, unjetisonable flappy legwear would be a no-no.  Sounds like a top tip.

There will be headgear - comedy outsizeness and vision-enhancing properties of which remain untested and may be limiting.

One option might be to stuff the lot into a pannier, change, lock the bike and walk.  But the genie's out of the bottle ...

RJ:

--- Quote ---
There will be headgear - comedy outsizeness and vision-enhancing properties of which remain untested and may be limiting.

--- End quote ---

Now tested and not compatible with riding a bike in anything other than gimmicky still-photo mode.  Risk (consequence unimaginable) of running over a baby penguin probably even greater than that of self-injury (likelihood almost certain!).

Time to pick a secondary objective - animal fancy-dress conga seems high on the list ...

little miss mac:
Don't go as a mermaid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version