Author Topic: Outdoor Gym  (Read 2631 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Outdoor Gym
« on: 02 November, 2018, 06:51:43 pm »

Round these parts there's a number of outdoor gym installations, with sort of pull up bars and funny machines you stand on that sway side to side, and something where you can pretend you're skiing etc... I've often thought it would be nice to be able to do a work out at them, but they are always full of people working out, and it's quite frankly intimidating. I was pleased to discover a new housing development near by has some kit, which they have distributed around the development, so if you wanted to use every single item, you'd have to walk about 1km. Great thought I. Only some skrote has gone and nicked the instruction plaque off some of the machines. Most of the kit I can work out how to use, but one has got me stumped:

The blue bench side seems to be so you can sit on the bench, hook your feet under the bar and do a sit up. The other side tho? NFC.

Does anyone else use public gym kit? How do you find it? Any advice ? Any ideas for good solutions for when it's recently rained and all the kit is wet? Any idea what to do with the kit pictured above?

Cheers

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Outdoor Gym
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2018, 07:05:30 pm »
The other side is the same, hook your feet under the lower bar, sit on the top bar, lean back and do sit ups
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2018, 07:14:19 pm »
The other side is the same, hook your feet under the lower bar, sit on the top bar, lean back and do sit ups

Ok, I've worked out why I couldn't make it work then. I thought that was the idea.

So you know how the Dutch are the tallest people on earth, on average as a country? This kit is made for Dutch men, not short arse British women... sit on the top bar? with my feet under the lower bar, the top bar is the top of my Pelvis... Maybe if I jiggle things round I can get toes under the bottom bar...

J

--

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2018, 07:36:40 pm »
We have a "Trim Trail" in the woods near us. It has some items I can use (overhead press with varying size tree trunks, for example), but plenty I can't use. I'd like to be able to progress to full pull-ups, but there's no way to do assisted pull-ups in the wild. Same for dips with parallel bars.

Also - it's all wood, so gets green and slimy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2018, 07:50:15 pm »
Ok, I've worked out why I couldn't make it work then. I thought that was the idea.

So you know how the Dutch are the tallest people on earth, on average as a country? This kit is made for Dutch men, not short arse British women... sit on the top bar? with my feet under the lower bar, the top bar is the top of my Pelvis... Maybe if I jiggle things round I can get toes under the bottom bar...

I've got a picture somewhere of a Dutch campsite picnic table with similar design issues, that I found surprisingly difficult to climb onto with a b0rked achilles...

To their credit, there was another - lower - picnic table for children and FOREIGNS, which I moved to once it was in the shade.

« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2018, 07:11:14 pm »
The bars to the left of the pic might be for back extensions. Stand on the lower bar with your thighs against the upper bar. Lower and raise your upper body to work your lower back. Maybe?

« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2018, 10:23:45 pm »
There are a few of these types of thing round here (though not the specific bit of equipment in the pic). Being in Western Scotland, their default state is wet. They normally appear to be used by young kids, despite signs indicating otherwise - though I do see adults on them too. I've been on them once or twice, but TBH I prefer to just go to the normal indoor gym instead. Good idea, though, and it's nice to see more appearing.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2019, 07:06:34 pm »

Thread necromancy time.

I went round and took photos of all the bits of gym equipment. To see if I could work out how they work. So far I've solved most of the items, but a few I've no idea:

Balls:

Beats me:

I have no idea...

Can anyone shed some light on how you're supposed to use these pieces of kit?

J
--

« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2019, 07:16:23 pm »
Beats Me looks like they could be pull up bars that you can sit on, i.e. you sit on the lower bar and pull up as much as you can as you're not putting your entire weight through your hands/arms/shoulders unless you lift your arse off the lower bar completely. 4 of them at different heights to cover different height users.

Balls could be some kind of shuttle run thing. Run from somewhere to the first, touch it, run back to the start, run to the second, touch it, back to the start, ... At different heights to possibly help stretching.

I have no idea - no idea - possibly a frame for helping do leg swings.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2019, 07:31:48 pm »
Don't see any of them in this:
https://www.wirral.gov.uk/sites/default/files/all/Leisure%20parks%20and%20events/outdoor%20activities/Outdoor%20gym%20equipment%20guide.pdf

There's some of those 3 about in Dundee, I'd go and look but its dark, the locals talk funny and it's over the wa'er.

So went and found a suppliers website
https://www.caloo.co.uk/product-category/individual-outdoor-gym-units/

THink we see some of these?
https://www.caloo.co.uk/product/exercise-bars/

Nae idea on the baws though

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 22 September, 2019, 07:32:27 pm »
Have found the manufacturers website. Only the 3rd of the 3 is actually listed on their site. It's apparently a "stretching tree" but has no actual instructions on the site. I've emailed them asking for guidance on all 3 items.

J
--

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 22 September, 2019, 07:59:13 pm »
Are the balls for leapfrog different heights ?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 23 September, 2019, 02:00:56 pm »
Are we sure it's not Art.  Or some kind of food mixer?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 24 September, 2019, 07:48:36 pm »
It's a holistic gym for integrated physical and mental exercises. The brain work is to work out how to do the muscle work. Corpore sano but only if your mens is sufficiently sana.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.