Author Topic: Podium Drag Queens Will Not Feature at Giro Amsterdam Stages  (Read 5485 times)

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
Podium Drag Queens Will Not Feature at Giro Amsterdam Stages
« on: 21 February, 2010, 02:31:49 pm »
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-organiser-says-italian-girls-will-be-on-the-podium-in-amsterdam

Marco de Goede of the GroenLinks party had argued during a local council meeting that having podium girls was outdated and sexist.

:)
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

gordon taylor

Re: Podium Drag Queens Will Not Feature at Giro Amsterdam Stages
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2010, 02:38:24 pm »
I think Marco has a point here.

My wife goes berserk when the presentation is made at the end of a race on TV. She is so angry by the sexism that she now just won't watch cycle racing at all. She actually heckled the jersey presentation at our town-centre races two years ago.

Inclusive? I don't think so.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2010, 02:41:17 pm »
"Because Amsterdam is known as the gay capital, he suggested that men or drag queens should be used for at least one stage finish presentation"    :hand:  The unacceptable face of political correctness I think !  Thank heavens he didn't get his way.
Aero but not dynamic

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »
Afraid you'd be 'turned', are you? ;D

Why not, FHS?  It's pathetic and embarrassing that we need 'dolly-birds' on the podium.  Makes our sport look like one for greasy-haired, spotty-faced, adolescent boys who watch with one hand in their pants.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 21 February, 2010, 05:05:51 pm »
Well, I'm not dumb but I can't understand
Why she walks like a woman and talks like a man

Road shoes.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #5 on: 21 February, 2010, 08:49:10 pm »
It's pathetic and embarrassing that we need 'dolly-birds' on the podium.  Makes our sport look like one for greasy-haired, spotty-faced, adolescent boys who watch with one hand in their pants.
???  Don't all male sports have dolly birds ?  Which ones don't ?

Aero but not dynamic

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 21 February, 2010, 09:49:33 pm »
Are there dolly boys for the female athletes?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Zoidburg

« Reply #7 on: 21 February, 2010, 09:55:57 pm »
Could they not simply offer a menu like when you book ahead for a works do meal?

Scantily clad female or male eye candy depending on the podium placed cyclists preference?

"Thats sexist!"

"Well we do offer a choice of pretty boys as well"

« Reply #8 on: 21 February, 2010, 09:58:17 pm »

No, they get flowers. But that's not sexist.

« Reply #9 on: 21 February, 2010, 10:08:41 pm »
 Methinks this guy is *just* taking the opportunity to get his name and party name in the news.

At the pro races, the podium girls are there to represent the sponsor, to promote their image to the audience. The audience for cycle races is largely male. 

At the Olympics, Worlds and the like, they use females to carry they jerseys and medal on cushions. Usually local people sometimes in traditional costume. Perhaps this is what this chap was thinking of.  Maybe it is outdated and sexist. I don't really care, I rarely watch the ceremonies.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 21 February, 2010, 10:13:15 pm »

It wouldn't be sexist if the ladies got boy totty too ;)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11 on: 21 February, 2010, 10:16:00 pm »
I found it a nice idea, but MSeries is right. We have municipal elections on March 3rd, and in Amsterdam there's quite a battle about getting the gay vote. This is probably just part of it.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #12 on: 21 February, 2010, 10:39:15 pm »

It wouldn't be sexist if the ladies got boy totty too ;)

I agree.
Where does one go for an audition. :)

« Reply #13 on: 22 February, 2010, 08:56:09 am »
This is about the Giro d'Italia in Amsterdam. This guy isn't trying to change the presentations in cycling generally, not even this years Giro d'Italia. It's not about cycling.

« Reply #14 on: 22 February, 2010, 09:02:10 am »

The Gito d'Italia doesn't have female racers. There is the Giro Donne but this chap in Amsterdam doesn't seem to care about that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 22 February, 2010, 09:43:50 am »
At the pro races, the podium girls are there to represent the sponsor, to promote their image to the audience. The audience for cycle races is largely male. 

I feel there is a circular connection between those two facts.
Getting there...

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #16 on: 22 February, 2010, 09:46:25 am »

I was thinking the same.

Does the Giro Donne have podium Himbos? Do any races?
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #17 on: 22 February, 2010, 09:48:17 am »

Really, you think men watch mens cycle races because there are a few ladies at the finish ? I don't, what about the other men on here ?

« Reply #18 on: 22 February, 2010, 09:53:35 am »
I personally have no objections to some eye candy being present on a stage; and I'm fortunate to be married to someone who will discuss which one is the cutest (and it won't be the cyclist in sweaty lycra).

However, it does seem rather silly and pointless. An outmoded relic of a more chauvinistic age. There would be more point to having a celeb (actor, athlete, tv presenter) up there dishing out the prizes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #19 on: 22 February, 2010, 09:54:14 am »
The Gito d'Italia doesn't have female racers. There is the Giro Donne but this chap in Amsterdam doesn't seem to care about that.

It doesn't usually but......here is a female finisher of the Giro.  Clickly for more info

« Reply #20 on: 22 February, 2010, 09:59:35 am »
I personally have no objections to some eye candy being present on a stage; and I'm fortunate to be married to someone who will discuss which one is the cutest (and it won't be the cyclist in sweaty lycra).

However, it does seem rather silly and pointless. An outmoded relic of a more chauvinistic age. There would be more point to having a celeb (actor, athlete, tv presenter) up there dishing out the prizes.

They do. The podium girls just carry them out and hand them to the person presenting the prizes. It's often a dignatory from the town.

The point is for the jersey sponsors, it's marketing. Sponsors make cycle races happen. Professional racing is about advertising. Don't confuse it with sport. Ban podium girls and you'll have few sponsors and fewer races.

In the Olympics and The Worlds, the podium girls are much lower key, I don't think they pose for photos with the winners.

« Reply #21 on: 22 February, 2010, 11:26:03 am »

Really, you think men watch mens cycle races because there are a few ladies at the finish ? I don't, what about the other men on here ?

I suspect you'll find it's the other way around: lots of women are put off watching cycle racing due to the totty factor.

Personally, I find it old-fashionedly chauvanistic, a bit like the Pepsi Max ads. "Congratulations, you have won. Have a bosomly wench as a reward." :-\

I'm sure someone will link this to the "rape" thread in a minute.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #22 on: 22 February, 2010, 11:33:18 am »

I suspect you'll find it's the other way around: lots of women are put off watching cycle racing due to the totty factor.

Do you think drag queens would make a difference ? Would drag queens make you watch cycle racing ?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #23 on: 22 February, 2010, 11:51:18 am »

Odd that, whenever the Tour is on and there are frauen around, they're all "cor, look at his lovely bum!"  ;D  The boy-totty factor is strong.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Zoidburg

« Reply #24 on: 22 February, 2010, 04:24:19 pm »

It doesn't usually but......here is a female finisher of the Giro.  Clickly for more info

I would not be surprised if she was male or intersex.

It was much more common than you would think in pre war sport.