Author Topic: Base training  (Read 251643 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #550 on: 07 March, 2017, 07:00:59 am »
TSS 839 this week.
I bailed on the 200 yesterday through sheer misery and only just managed a glimmer of enjoyment on today's tandem over for coffee.
I'm knackered,and worse than that, I'm not getting fitter. (Though I am losing weight).

Looking at the checklist for overtraining symptoms, I'm ticking all the fecking boxes.

What was your TSB?

« Reply #551 on: 07 March, 2017, 09:50:31 am »

« Reply #552 on: 08 March, 2017, 08:25:05 am »
http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2015/07/part-3-training-stress-balanceso-what.html

I don't know how severe -54 is, but I hope you are feeling better.

simonp

« Reply #553 on: 08 March, 2017, 03:26:32 pm »
So as I had a rowing outing yesterday evening - in 7 seat for a change, usually I'm in bow - the 2x8m test remains uncompleted. I shall try to make myself do it tonight.

Hopefully won't have FTP result below 250W.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #554 on: 08 March, 2017, 05:35:36 pm »
I start to not enjoy being on a bike from -40 or so.

In better news after putting off my FTP test, I eventually applied rule 5 and happy to report a good increase from the last one, though not sure I'm going to enjoy the ride to the pub on fixed tonight.... 

Suspect there was a bit of fatigue in the last test I did (231W), but good to see I'm ahead of last year's FTP at this time of year.

Regards,

Joergen

simonp

« Reply #555 on: 08 March, 2017, 05:40:12 pm »
Looks good! Pacing of the 2nd effort a bit erratic, mind. Did you find yourself between two gears?

Time to go home and see if I can MTFU.

simonp

« Reply #556 on: 08 March, 2017, 09:30:12 pm »
Damnit. 248W.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #557 on: 09 March, 2017, 09:26:28 am »
Looks good! Pacing of the 2nd effort a bit erratic, mind. Did you find yourself between two gears?

Time to go home and see if I can MTFU.

I went a little off from the start and not paying attention to the output trend so fooled myself in to thinking I could crank it up a bit more... I then pondered could I do very hard for 1 min and then easy off for another min and get in to a cycle of under/over to see if that yielded a different number... that lasted for almost a minute or 3 till I started to realise I was over and above a sustainable output, last 2 mins became a bit sweary!

Interestingly, the second session average power was the same as the first 8 min session average 274W but the max was a lot higher for the 2nd, 332W vrs 402W.
Regards,

Joergen

rob

« Reply #558 on: 09 March, 2017, 01:40:42 pm »
Been hard to ride the commute at any sort of intensity this week due to back/hip problems, but started to feel a bit better this morning.   Despite being told not to use the turbo this week I went back and picked out one of my sessions from December which I ended up quite enjoying, getting my HR back up into race zone again.

I'll ride the 10 I entered on Saturday afternoon if only to test out my new skinsuit/overshoes/tyres.   If I ride there and book should turn into a 70ish mile day.

I now have 5 weeks to go until a family holiday so, hopefully, I haven't lost too much time and I can make some progress.

simonp

« Reply #559 on: 12 March, 2017, 05:53:04 pm »
In Scotland for my mum's birthday, brought the trainer with me. Tried 5x10m threshold but only did 3 of them. Tired from the travel I think.

« Reply #560 on: 13 March, 2017, 09:06:09 pm »
Supposed to do a FTP test tonight but late home from work and the brain just did not engage. stopped 3 minutes into the 20 minute interval
Try again tomorrow

« Reply #561 on: 14 March, 2017, 07:40:29 am »
What a difference a year makes :(

Feb 16, FTP set 270

Mar 17, FTP set 220, HR up, cadence down. power? yeah, well.

(Both Sufferfest Angels)

rob

« Reply #562 on: 14 March, 2017, 01:01:02 pm »
Been hard to ride the commute at any sort of intensity this week due to back/hip problems, but started to feel a bit better this morning.   Despite being told not to use the turbo this week I went back and picked out one of my sessions from December which I ended up quite enjoying, getting my HR back up into race zone again.

I'll ride the 10 I entered on Saturday afternoon if only to test out my new skinsuit/overshoes/tyres.   If I ride there and book should turn into a 70ish mile day.

I now have 5 weeks to go until a family holiday so, hopefully, I haven't lost too much time and I can make some progress.

Managed to knock 30secs off my 10 PB so pretty happy.   Back on it this week.

simonp

« Reply #563 on: 14 March, 2017, 01:10:08 pm »
That's a significant improvement.   :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #564 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:08:55 pm »
i seem to have constant muscle soreness since i started tr workouts. i wonder if the intensity is too high not letting me to recover. base training ends next week, time to start a "build" thread? :)

« Reply #565 on: 21 March, 2017, 08:25:42 pm »
Finished a Sufferfest workout for the first time this year.... so beginning to feel like I might be able to get back to where I need to be, still hard to imagine doing it with an FTP of 250, still less 270 which is what I could (just about) achieve then :(

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/5562239-sufferfest-a-very-dark-place-pre-6-13-

What's particular hard to deal with is that I have been riding through the winter (OK, not long rides, but still) so the decline is all down to making too close acquaintance with 60. Oddly (?) I haven't noticed any decrease in MHR which still appears to be 185.

simonp

« Reply #566 on: 21 March, 2017, 10:29:16 pm »
200k at the weekend, first since 4 months. I'd say it went as well as can be expected given the month break.

Should set me up for 300k this weekend. I had two rest days then had rowing training this evening. Aiming to train again tomorrow, again on Thursday, and then a rest day friday.

TSS figure based on HR seems wildly high for Saturday's ride. Implies an IF of 0.77 for >9h on the bike. I don't think that's feasible.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #567 on: 21 March, 2017, 10:46:15 pm »
200k at the weekend, first since 4 months. I'd say it went as well as can be expected given the month break.

Should set me up for 300k this weekend. I had two rest days then had rowing training this evening. Aiming to train again tomorrow, again on Thursday, and then a rest day friday.

TSS figure based on HR seems wildly high for Saturday's ride. Implies an IF of 0.77 for >9h on the bike. I don't think that's feasible.

I managed 0.81 over 9h30m on a 200 at the weekend using a power meter so perhaps not that unrealistic...?

I felt my legs empty by the end - struggled just to ride around the block yesterday in the wind testing my USB power and this mornings 3x12m threshold intervals were a real struggle... last interval I almost jacked.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #568 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:36:44 pm »
Yep, what a difference a week makes

Mar 14

Mar 22

Mind you, anyone know where Strava gets its speed and distance data from? It's uploaded from TR, but I can't see it anywhere there. It looks reasonable, just wondering if it is output from the Tacx, or calculated somehow.

« Reply #569 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:47:56 pm »
I "believe" that TR has now added in a distance and speed estimate into the data it records although it does not show this in the on screen data.
Found it.
Does TrainerRoad record speed and distance during my workouts?
Yes, but speed and distance are not all that useful when you train indoors. These metrics are often different from the values you’d expect performing the same effort outside.

If you’d like to access estimated speed and distance, you can do so by viewing your completed rides in the desktop app, or by using Ride Sync to upload your ride to TrainingPeaks and Strava.

« Reply #570 on: 22 March, 2017, 10:15:45 pm »
Ah thanks - although I still can't find anything in the desktop app. TBH, the speed feels about right, and if that is the case then the "estimated" distance as a factor of speed and time, I'm sort-of keeping a mental note of daily miles on road + trainer, to see how my *rse gets on (cf Health & Fitness), and extrapolate to doing 100k days, thinking I've done 60k+ today feels quite reassuring even if I haven't ;) https://www.strava.com/activities/910455682

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #571 on: 22 March, 2017, 10:35:26 pm »
I tried to break in a B17 on the turbo using TR and it was not the same as riding in the real world... more bumps and vibrations off the road... may be similar effect to other body parts!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

simonp

« Reply #572 on: 22 March, 2017, 10:50:19 pm »
Vo2max intervals tonight. Lactic burn.

« Reply #573 on: 23 March, 2017, 07:58:34 am »
new FTP on over and under last night according to training peaks!  tonight is threshold boost.  5minute intervals at FTP x 6.
It is interesting that the pain seems to be changing.  until now the pain has been so severe I had to drop power massively and then recover but the pain is changing so I can live with the pain for longer.  Just adaptation i suspect but interesting as I go through it.

simonp

« Reply #574 on: 23 March, 2017, 08:49:40 am »
Muscular endurance is probably improving. Improved lactate clearance so you can still end longer at FTP.