Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250293 times)

simonp

Re: Base training
« Reply #1125 on: 15 November, 2018, 03:25:43 pm »
I'm on 50 CTL now.

I've got quite a variety in there at present with the rowing and associated weight training. So my FTP is lower than one would expect from such a CTL value.

« Reply #1126 on: 18 November, 2018, 12:14:17 pm »
I did Saturday's workout today, and felt good while doing it, but cut the last set short because of my right VMO (same as Thursday).
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/43788947-palisade

I think I need to stretch more, but maybe also do some single leg squats. My right leg is definitely weaker than my left (lots of knee issues in the past), and damaging my right foot this summer has only worsened that. The thing is that my left is solid, and the CV ability is coming back, so that encourages me to push further and harder than my right can really handle. I should probably record the ride on my headunit as well - then I would be able to look at the right/left balance (though I'm not sure what I would do with that data!).

How do you guys find your fitness tracks with your CTL? I'm only doing the low volume TR stuff, so my weekly TSS peaks around 300, and I've not been over 350 since I got my power meter. The max 6 week CTL I've had in that time has been 37. Is that going to put a ceiling on my power?

« Reply #1127 on: 18 November, 2018, 08:17:43 pm »
Fingers crossed, in a week's time I recommence TR sweet spot base, beginning a 7 month programme I've mapped out to prepare me for a Channel to Med ride across France next summer...

"Fingers crossed" because I've been struggling to return to exercise following some surgery last summer: several prior attempts at steadily increasing the exercise load have had to be abandoned due to it eventually not feeling very good at all. This time I've taken it super steady, a very slow trajectory for raising workload, and I'm optimistic I'm "mended" and will be fine to proceed. Should find out soon!

I posted earlier in the year about seeing if I could get to 4w/kg - the idea was to buy myself a really fancy bike if I managed to hit the target. I've still got the aspiration but have changed the reward, giving myself some nice bike trips instead, with the C2M being taken as an advance payment  ;)

The notional "goal" then is to reach 4w/kg by September '19. The last test I did was mid-July at 3.4 w/kg. Based on how I was riding then I was probably around the fittest I've been, so bridging the gap to 4.0, if I manage it, will not be easy and I won't really be disappointed if I don't manage it. It's quite possible life (particularly health) may get in the way, but I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.

I hadn't expected to be much interested in TR's calendar, but already I'm finding it invaluable. A plan's in place, and all I have to do is keep pressing really hard on the pedals when I'm told to and to rest when I'm told to. Easy  ;D

rob

« Reply #1128 on: 19 November, 2018, 08:00:40 pm »
Entering week 3.  Week 1 was 9h45 and week 2 10hrs.   All turbo and in race position.

I’m missing the outdoors quite a lot.   The morning walk to the station doesn’t quite cut it.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1129 on: 19 November, 2018, 08:52:01 pm »
Entering week 3.  Week 1 was 9h45 and week 2 10hrs.   All turbo and in race position.

I’m missing the outdoors quite a lot.   The morning walk to the station doesn’t quite cut it.

why not ride outside to clear the head (once a week would do)?

rob

« Reply #1130 on: 19 November, 2018, 08:53:28 pm »

why not ride outside to clear the head (once a week would do)?

Broken hand.  I have a cast on.  (Sorry might not have mentioned it in this thread)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1131 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:23:36 pm »
i see, not much you can do then.. gws rob

« Reply #1132 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:19:20 pm »
Oof. VO2 max, followed by 6 hours of sitting in cramped seats (coach and performance) with 7000 steps thrown in between. My knee has been happier.
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/43907908-spencer

« Reply #1133 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:29:09 pm »
Had a few indoor rides over the last week and a half - just been riding the Tacx videos. I'll have to get to TR again soon, as it does feel like I'm getting used to riding indoors a bit now.

Set up the new direct drive turbo tonight, so have working tech in the shed and, I must admit, it was a nicer feeling to ride the turbo than head out into the cold wet evening here!

Also, I'd forgotten how much work you can do on the turbo, as there's no reason to stop pedalling...

Mike

simonp

« Reply #1134 on: 21 November, 2018, 12:05:19 am »
Did 75m endurance in TrainerRoad tonight. These endurance level rides are harder than you might think - that constant pressure on the pedals you get from working on a smart trainer makes it more effective than a typical outdoor ride.

Heart rate was a bit high - expect that was because I was watching Scotland v Israel. Missed James Forrest's hat-trick because I ended the workout and moved to the living room at just the wrong time.

This week is about recovery - going to do only endurance level stuff this week, and then back on it next week.

« Reply #1135 on: 22 November, 2018, 10:31:13 am »
Did this GCN workout the other night: https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/video/sweet-spot-intervals-indoor-training-on-the-passo-giau

Really effective! The same interval 8 times, feels easy to start with but by rep 7 you're in trouble.

« Reply #1136 on: 22 November, 2018, 10:45:45 am »
https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/zwift-academy-2018/semi-finals-2-capacity-into-sweet-spot/

Did this on Zwift night before last. What the graphic doesn't show is that it's not ramp ups after the Z5 effort - it's one ramp up 2x Z5 followed by ramp down. And they save the worst for last. Felt easy to begin with - was so glad I didn't set it to 105% of my FTP in the companion app by the end.

« Reply #1137 on: 22 November, 2018, 12:21:09 pm »
Recently been doing the "hour of power" interval session I picked up on BikeRadar many years ago, which I've developed into:

5 min warmup
90s @ 90%FTP followed by 30s @ 120%FTP  x 30  (60mins)
5 mins cooldown

It can be tweaked by increasing the hard intervals to 125-30%FTP and lowering the recovery intensity, or increasing the hard intervals to 20s @ 130%FTP-maximal and increasing the length of the recovery intervals to 120-150s.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #1138 on: 22 November, 2018, 01:01:31 pm »
Recently been doing the "hour of power" interval session I picked up on BikeRadar many years ago, which I've developed into:

5 min warmup
90s @ 90%FTP followed by 30s @ 120%FTP  x 30  (60mins)
5 mins cooldown

It can be tweaked by increasing the hard intervals to 125-30%FTP and lowering the recovery intensity, or increasing the hard intervals to 20s @ 130%FTP-maximal and increasing the length of the recovery intervals to 120-150s.
Wow.  You do an hour where you do 90s at 90% power, then 30s at 120%, and then repeat? No gaps where you are under 90%? There are a couple of TR workouts that have threshold and VO2 Max stuff mixed up like that, but they tend ot have significant rest periods built in.  Can you really sustain that for an hour (and if so, are you sure your FTP is accurate)?

Eg from my recent TR back catalogue: https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/43591061-jepson

« Reply #1139 on: 22 November, 2018, 01:18:24 pm »
Wow.  You do an hour where you do 90s at 90% power, then 30s at 120%, and then repeat? No gaps where you are under 90%? There are a couple of TR workouts that have threshold and VO2 Max stuff mixed up like that, but they tend ot have significant rest periods built in.  Can you really sustain that for an hour (and if so, are you sure your FTP is accurate)?

Eg from my recent TR back catalogue: https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/43591061-jepson

As the hour progresses it's increasingly hard to maintain 90% in the 90s intervals but that's the aim.  In reality it eventually drops to 80/85% for a few seconds after the 30s bursts and it takes real effort and concentration to get back to 90%.

The whole 60m session average is effectively at threshold effort and very close to FTP. 

I'm as sure as I can be about my FTP using the tools at my disposal i.e. Watt-type bike at the gym - I have the IQ2 power meters on order so will hopefully be able to get more accurate info. HR info is useless for this kind of session as the delay gives no helpful real-time info.

BTW can't access your TrainerRoad links.

Chris S

« Reply #1140 on: 22 November, 2018, 01:33:05 pm »
I may venture a tentative half hour on the turbo later. Starting week 3 of The Lurgy From Hell; I've coughed enough to damage my ribs, so anything I do will be Zone 0.

« Reply #1141 on: 22 November, 2018, 01:39:55 pm »

As the hour progresses it's increasingly hard to maintain 90% in the 90s intervals but that's the aim.  In reality it eventually drops to 80/85% for a few seconds after the 30s bursts and it takes real effort and concentration to get back to 90%.

The whole 60m session average is effectively at threshold effort and very close to FTP. 

I'm as sure as I can be about my FTP using the tools at my disposal i.e. Watt-type bike at the gym - I have the IQ2 power meters on order so will hopefully be able to get more accurate info. HR info is useless for this kind of session as the delay gives no helpful real-time info.

BTW can't access your TrainerRoad links.

That sounds really hard... Wattbike are reputed to be accurate, and if you're using the same one then it makes no odds. I was only asking because I've heard of people guestimating it!
Does this link work?
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/43591061-jepson#.W_aoa9FhxuA.link

« Reply #1142 on: 22 November, 2018, 02:04:20 pm »

That sounds really hard... Wattbike are reputed to be accurate, and if you're using the same one then it makes no odds. I was only asking because I've heard of people guestimating it!
Does this link work?
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/43591061-jepson#.W_aoa9FhxuA.link

It's wanting credit card details to sign up - can't see a free view-only option.

Yes, it's really hard session!

« Reply #1143 on: 22 November, 2018, 03:03:37 pm »

Does this link work?

It's wanting credit card details to sign up - can't see a free view-only option.

That's really annoying - I've clicked the button to make my workouts public. Maybe you need a TR account to see even public workouts?  That's odd.
It's synced to Strava, so you've got to be able to see this: https://www.strava.com/activities/1965509945

« Reply #1144 on: 22 November, 2018, 04:17:25 pm »
That's really annoying - I've clicked the button to make my workouts public. Maybe you need a TR account to see even public workouts?

Appears to be the case.

It's synced to Strava, so you've got to be able to see this: https://www.strava.com/activities/1965509945

Yes, that works if signed in to Strava. Maximum cadence 154 - blimey!  I do well to get above 120.

Chris S

« Reply #1145 on: 22 November, 2018, 05:51:28 pm »
Yes, that works if signed in to Strava. Maximum cadence 154 - blimey!  I do well to get above 120.

:o

My turbo's on a mat, but I'm pretty sure I'd be bouncing around the room like a badly loaded washing-machine if I tried that!

« Reply #1146 on: 22 November, 2018, 08:48:05 pm »
For really short VO2 Max or anerobic, I just spin up in the gear I'm in. I couldn't hold it for very long (unless on a big hill on my fix!).

simonp

« Reply #1147 on: 22 November, 2018, 09:09:05 pm »
I had a look back and I hit 138rpm on that workout earlier this year.

« Reply #1148 on: 24 November, 2018, 11:34:41 pm »
I did Tacx’s Wessex Tour today, a nice hilly video ride around Dorset. It proved both interesting and positive from an equipment perspective. The ride itself was just under 1.25 hours averaging about 200 watts, but with more variation - like the real world - than the super flat ride I’d been doing.

Having committed to riding the turbo much much more and using it to actually build fitness I’ve just swapped the Bushido for a new Neo direct from Tacx. This is, so far, a bit quieter than the Bushido, will work with or without being plugged in and provides better roadlike feel. The latter due to the simulated inertia that it models based on mass, aero drag and other rolling resistance.

I was a bit concerned my old laptop might struggle with the video software (trainerroad does seem that resource intensive) but it copes absolutely fine. The laptop was species for use with Lightroom a few years ago with an i7 3740qm at 2.7GHz, 3 SSDs, 32Gb of ram and an Nvidia K2000m GPU. The CPU usage was low throughout and the GPU was at 80% to 85% decoding variable frame rate 720p and upscaling to feed a tv at 4K and 60Hz. I had thought the hardware would be too old, and particularly in a laptop clock limited. However it all worked well.

Next to decide if I want to use trainerroad for intervals or the Tacx software.

Mike

« Reply #1149 on: 25 November, 2018, 07:25:32 am »
I have not used the Tacx software for a number of years but it was generally incredibly flaky. The forums were full of complaints about it not working.