Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575784 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #675 on: 18 September, 2011, 09:33:41 pm »
Pulse dialling by hand is one of my party tricks. Along with doing impressions of a Commodore 1541 disk drive and assorted impact dot-matrix printers.  Which probably says everything you need to know about the kind of parties I tend to get invited to.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #676 on: 19 September, 2011, 11:29:01 am »
Crikey.  I didn't think pulse dialling was even possible any more.  Used to do that a lot on a restricted line.
Getting there...

« Reply #677 on: 19 September, 2011, 04:02:32 pm »
I'm a little tired and easily distracted today.

So having someone shooting1 repeatedly somewhere nearby is actually making it really difficult to focus on the stuff I need to do!  Not to mention disrupting the phone calls I'm trying to make!

1I think it's shooting, that's what it sounds like-and I live in the countryside so it's likely to be hunting of something, not shooting neighbours

« Reply #678 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:36:29 am »
If you're going to do an eco shop up on your bicycle at the Co-op 2 miles away in a rush job to get something for tea because your kitchen resembles Mother Hubbard's, then don't leave your wallet at home like me.  Again. :facepalm:

« Reply #679 on: 20 September, 2011, 12:08:14 pm »
I feel like shit, am growing a lurgy.

Could you, lurgy-type-thing, either up the ante into a full blown illness, or fuck right off.

Kthxbai.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #680 on: 20 September, 2011, 12:35:16 pm »
I'm utterly fed up with lurgy.  Two weeks ago I was delirious.  Yesterday I was completley washed out.  Today I dragged myself away from the toilet to come into work purely because the payroll needs doing. :(

I should be in bed, popping as many paracetamol as I can keep down.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #681 on: 22 September, 2011, 11:26:52 pm »
Self: check the pannier thoroughly for dead badgers before putting a washload on.  You've managed to wash everything but yesterday's shorts and some wiffy socks.   :facepalm:

« Reply #682 on: 23 September, 2011, 12:56:36 am »
Little tab thingy on thing that seals the plastic milk cartons, just stop breaking off will you? That is all.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #683 on: 23 September, 2011, 07:05:36 am »
Third Friday in a row I have to be suited & booted. 
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #684 on: 23 September, 2011, 07:33:41 am »
Can't get the smell of cat food off my fingers, Yuk.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #685 on: 23 September, 2011, 07:35:22 am »

No need for a suit tomorrow, the flat cap or straw boater, however, is a must! (otherwise how will I recognise you?) :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #686 on: 23 September, 2011, 11:54:50 am »
The bathroom cabinet has just fallen off the wall >:(

Not much damage and it was time to redecorate the room anyway.

Ho Hum
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #687 on: 23 September, 2011, 01:28:33 pm »

No need for a suit tomorrow, the flat cap or straw boater, however, is a must! (otherwise how will I recognise you?) :)

Grrr! You now have me rethinking my wardrobe for the weekend as flat cap (never mind the boater) and lycra just don't work together.

Otherwise, guess you'll just have to rely on the accent.  Now which one shall I use...  ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #688 on: 23 September, 2011, 03:02:11 pm »
My HRM has suffered an arrest ::-)
I think the wireless computer has killed it :-\

that's the first time both bits of tech have inhabited the handlebars simultaneously

essexian

« Reply #689 on: 23 September, 2011, 03:09:45 pm »
Today, being the last day of my leave period and pay day  ;D , I invited SWMBO out to lunch.... my idea was a nice quiet country pub.... I would cycle there and she would drive. Nice idea I thought.

Her had other ideas....Ian, she said, do you fancy a veggie hot dog like we had when we were in Canada.....hummmmmmm foot long veggie dog.  :thumbsup: :Lets go for it...oh, its too far to cycle: okay we will take the car.

So, what place of lovely food did we end up at?????

IKEA..... :demon:

And the veggie hot dogs? Looks like we will have to fly back to Canada to get the real thing.

Oh.... and I spent more on tat than I would have on a meal at a decent pub!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #690 on: 23 September, 2011, 04:47:57 pm »
My HRM has suffered an arrest ::-)
I think the wireless computer has killed it :-\

that's the first time both bits of tech have inhabited the handlebars simultaneously

Now you are sure it's the monitor that's faulty, not what it's measuring? :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #691 on: 23 September, 2011, 04:51:34 pm »
So, what place of lovely food did we end up at?????

IKEA..... :demon:
Would that be the lovely M6-side Wednesbury IKEA? If so, you luck lad :demon:

At least the Coventry one's in the town centre.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #692 on: 23 September, 2011, 07:34:02 pm »
I recently bought a Schlumpf Mountain Drive off someone on another forum. It was "only" £200, which is very cheap for one of these esoteric bits of kit. I know I should have delved into it a bit more, but the seller did specifically say "it would fit almost any bike" without having to go down the chamfering route because it had a torque arm. I duly bought it. Anyway, it turns out to be the Brompton-specific model, which fits Bromptons easily but other bikes with great difficulty - and a very significant outlay.

I'm as much to blame as the seller, who did actually offer to refund my money. So I'm now £10 poorer (P&P to return it), a little wiser, but very disappointed, as my Pompino cannot now have a Sturmey Archer S2C hub/Schlumpf combo that would have eliminated the need for every cable bar the front brake.

I'm now going down the SRAM Spectro S7 hub gear/coaster brake route, which eliminates one cable, so I'm still not sure what I'm grumbling about, but I will anyway!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #693 on: 24 September, 2011, 04:28:05 pm »
Sodding boiler.  Why couldn't you have a nice, easy electrical fault that I could fix?

Now I've got to deal with unreliable telephonic plumbers, who will no doubt patronise and/or fail to find a problem other than the boiler being a bit shit.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #694 on: 24 September, 2011, 04:52:42 pm »
BT, I would be most grateful if you could be truthful about when I am likely to get FTTC (BT Infinity) for 'superfast broadband'.
My current connection is so slow that I fall asleep waiting for simple pages to load.
Until today, your website stated we would get BT Infinity by 30/12/2011; now it states 31/12/2011. This is, I think, the fourth time this year that the date has been put back.
We are in a Virgin cabled street. Up to now, I have stuck to BT but I think it's time to move on.

« Reply #695 on: 24 September, 2011, 06:30:00 pm »
I almost dread to say this, but I am satisfied with Virgin broadband. Outages have been rare in our 2 years here. Indian call centres aren't ideal, but I've had to deal with them so rarely that it hasn't been a major bugbear. We have a phone/BB (10Mb/s - and we regularly get 8 or 9)/TV package that costs £28/month for the whole package. One issue to consider is that the basic phone deal only includes free weekend calls, not evenings. Also, 0845/44/70 numbers are charged unless you add a £2 package.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #696 on: 24 September, 2011, 06:48:38 pm »
Virgin do seem orders of magnitude better at dealing with faults than our-favourite-telco.  They also have the advantage that their infrastructure is, for the most part, newer.  Whether their products are appropriate for your needs is another matter, but it's only reasonable to factor in a naff BT line when weighing up the options.

It would take a fairly bad[1] line to make me give up AAISP, but it does sound like hellymedic's would qualify.

[1] In the long, aluminium or whatever sense, rather than a persistent fault.  A&A are pretty good at collecting evidence and beating our-favourite-telco with the cluebat until faults are resolved.

border-rider

« Reply #697 on: 24 September, 2011, 07:07:23 pm »
I recently bought a Schlumpf Mountain Drive off someone on another forum. It was "only" £200, which is very cheap for one of these esoteric bits of kit. I know I should have delved into it a bit more, but the seller did specifically say "it would fit almost any bike" without having to go down the chamfering route because it had a torque arm. I duly bought it. Anyway, it turns out to be the Brompton-specific model, which fits Bromptons easily but other bikes with great difficulty - and a very significant outlay.

I'm as much to blame as the seller, who did actually offer to refund my money. So I'm now £10 poorer (P&P to return it), a little wiser, but very disappointed, as my Pompino cannot now have a Sturmey Archer S2C hub/Schlumpf combo that would have eliminated the need for every cable bar the front brake.

I'm now going down the SRAM Spectro S7 hub gear/coaster brake route, which eliminates one cable, so I'm still not sure what I'm grumbling about, but I will anyway!

Maybe a lucky escape... my guess would be that you'd destroy an S2C with torque by using a Schlumpf

Mine is OK, but my word it's so much more draggy than fixed that there's barely any benefit except the ability to freewheel.

« Reply #698 on: 24 September, 2011, 07:12:22 pm »
Ooh, I hadn't thought of that MV!

Anyway, the SRAM hubs ordered & the cold setting operation will be performed at Robgul's on Monday.

Perhaps it's a good thing I didn't sell the 44t chainring on the For Sale board. 40t is a tad too small.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #699 on: 25 September, 2011, 01:07:16 pm »
Bourbon is all gone.  Local shops don't sell anything palatable. *sigh*