Author Topic: Circular saw blade diameter  (Read 1271 times)

Circular saw blade diameter
« on: 10 May, 2020, 12:51:20 pm »
Does the diameter matter that much ?

I have an old skill saw with a 190mm blade diameter but some of the nice fine tooth blades I am looking at only come in 185mm.
Does it matter so long as the bore is correct (or they come with a bore reducing ring).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Circular saw blade diameter
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2020, 01:19:01 pm »
I'd think it'd be OK, but I've never done it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2020, 02:31:08 pm »
You'll be fine, just not be able to cut quite as deep.   

And a plug for Saxton Blades - excellent ... I've just upgraded my mitre, table and portable circular saws with their blades.

Rob

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2020, 02:40:01 pm »
I have my dads old 70's Wolf saw, and it needed a new blade, but it was a very heavy machine, so in the end I bought a RAGE saw. Its a lightweight one handed circular saw, with a special blade that will cut through just about anything.....wood, plastic, copper ,aluminium  even steel sheet, nails etc. superb  tool.  Its great because if I'm cutting down  a door, or joists, floor boards etc, I just mark and cut, with out worrying about whether a stray nail or screw, is going to bugger my new blade.

« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2020, 06:03:36 pm »
I've seen those Rage saws. Look like a good idea.  As it happens I already have a nice big Makita, a little Bosch someone gave me and big Skil Saw that I picked up at a car boot sale very cheap so a new saw might be a tad much on the N+1 scale.
Its the Skil Saw that needs a new blade, it came with a very low teeth count one and I want a high teeth count one as I bought it specially to make a table saw out of as it has a riving knife and I don't feel like bastardising the Makita. I was going to swap the Makita blade onto the Skil but the bore on the Skil is really small (16mm) and I don't have a reducing ring.

Rob I have seen Saxton blades web site before, good prices I think I'll order from them given the recommendation. Might make up an order to get blades for all the saws including the sliding mitre saw of doom (its a B&Q spesh I really shouldn't have bought but it was cheap - came with a cross threaded blade bolt, the stupid laser thing was never accurate and is generally a pain to setup at 90deg but completely refuses to die).

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2020, 08:01:51 pm »
I've seen those Rage saws. Look like a good idea.  As it happens I already have a nice big Makita, a little Bosch someone gave me and big Skil Saw that I picked up at a car boot sale very cheap so a new saw might be a tad much on the N+1 scale.
Its the Skil Saw that needs a new blade, it came with a very low teeth count one and I want a high teeth count one as I bought it specially to make a table saw out of as it has a riving knife and I don't feel like bastardising the Makita. I was going to swap the Makita blade onto the Skil but the bore on the Skil is really small (16mm) and I don't have a reducing ring.

Rob I have seen Saxton blades web site before, good prices I think I'll order from them given the recommendation. Might make up an order to get blades for all the saws including the sliding mitre saw of doom (its a B&Q spesh I really shouldn't have bought but it was cheap - came with a cross threaded blade bolt, the stupid laser thing was never accurate and is generally a pain to setup at 90deg but completely refuses to die).

Casual DIY on YouTube did a blade comparison video recently and Saxton came out very well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaNOTA8kUeE   I bought one for the mitre saw, found it to be excellent with very clean cuts so bought the others for the other machines.

Rob

« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2020, 11:06:19 am »
You'll be fine, just not be able to cut quite as deep.   

And a plug for Saxton Blades - excellent ... I've just upgraded my mitre, table and portable circular saws with their blades.

Rob

80T Saxton blades ordered for the two big circular saws and the mitre saw.  The baby saw is an old  Black and Decker (thought it was Bosch) and takes an odd size  5 inch blade which no one makes except Piranha which is part of Black and Decker so no choice there.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2020, 04:23:36 pm »
The only real time the diameter matters is if you have depth guages as they'll be ok. If you jump by up a huge amount then motor strength and edge rpm might be an issue.

I use Saxton blades on most of my tools too :-)

I do also have the Rage 5S and Rage 3S. They ain't bad. But then I think I've been lucky as both of mine seem better than the ones my friends subsequently purchased. I will be looking to replace the 3S with a front moving machine to save on the wasted rear space.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2020, 12:07:03 pm »
Bugger!

Lovely blades arrived from Saxton but they don't work on the Skil Saw. The saw has a very small arbour of only 16mm. Saxton provide a reducing ring in this diameter but the clamp on the Skil saw is only the same size as the reducing ring so wont clamp the blade :(

Annoying but not a complete loss as they will work on the Makita I just have to find some blades that actually do have a 16mm hole now.

robgul

« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2020, 01:48:16 pm »
Axminster has some 16mm bore circular saw blades - www.axminstertools.com   

Rob

« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2020, 06:52:31 pm »
Axminster has some 16mm bore circular saw blades - www.axminstertools.com   

Rob

Thanks Rob. ordered a 184mm one which is the nearest Axminster have to a 190mm one with a 16mm bore. I think I can cope without the extra 6mm for this application.