Author Topic: Things to do in Birkenhead/Liverpool  (Read 1146 times)

Things to do in Birkenhead/Liverpool
« on: 20 July, 2020, 02:02:11 pm »
I'm going to be in Birkenhead early next month for 3 days and will have plenty of free time.
What's there to do on the Wirral - I won't have a bike with me? Apart from the mainstream museums in Liverpool, are there any quirky places to go to?
Any tips about good boozers and eateries would be appreciated.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Things to do in Birkenhead/Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2020, 02:03:49 pm »
Did you deliberately miss "when you're dead" from the thread title?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2020, 02:15:21 pm »
If you don't have a bike then the Wirral Rock'n'Roll Heritage Tour may be problematic.  NB10 once mentioned it on the electric wireless while chatting with John Peel, who also hailed from those parts.  Highlights include Nigel's house, Peelie's former house, John Lennon's aunt's house and a phone box once used by a member of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark.

I don't think Evil C Boardman's dungeon is open to the public except by prior arrangement.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2020, 02:58:11 pm »
Actually, I really should take the Lilac Harry Quinn, shouldn't I?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2020, 04:53:28 pm »
Get the train to Liverpool ,   a far superior part of the world.  Even better , take the ferry , but bring earplugs as they often play _that song_.....

The Lady Lever gallery at Port Sunlight is well worth a visit, but currently closed.  The main Liverpool museums & galleries are open, but require advance booking.  https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk

You can get a local train to West Kirby for a day at the seaside,  and perhaps follow the Wirral Way footpath for a bit.   https://www.visitwirral.com/things-to-do/activities/walking

Many of the Liverpool pubs & restaurants have re-opened, subject to restrictions,  but I'm not sure which ones as I've barely been out since January!  The Ship & Mitre on Dale St probably has the best choice of decent beer in the city & is open.  http://www.theshipandmitre.com/whats/

Sadly Liverpool's CityBike rental scheme doesn't cover the Wirral , and the Bike & Go scheme from local rail stations has been discontinued, so if you want to use a bike just act like a local & take someone elses..  :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2020, 05:05:16 pm »
A pleasant wander in Liverpool would cover the Pier Head area, then a wander along Castle St (bars & restaurants) then through the main shopping are to Bold St, independent shops, bars & restaurants,  up Leece & Hardman St (Fly in the Loaf is a good pub) to Hope St.  Have a look at the 2 cathedrals , the Anglican one is  open for pre-booked visitors.  https://www.liverpoolcathedral.org.uk/home/visiting-us/a-great-place-to-visit.aspx

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2020, 10:29:24 pm »
There are some fine botanical gardens in Neston. Also, a walk up Frodsham Hill is well worth it. It's about 500 feet up and you get a very good view across the Mersey to Liverpool.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2020, 11:43:18 pm »
There are some fine botanical gardens in Neston. Also, a walk up Frodsham Hill is well worth it. It's about 500 feet up and you get a very good view across the Mersey to Liverpool.

Ness Garden are closed currently, opening to members fairly shortly but no date as yet for public access.
Frodsham Hill is a long way from Birkenhead.

Not much open public building wise yet in Birkenhead, don't visit the town centre it's just nasty, though Hamilton Square is one of the finest Georgian squares outside London.

A walk around the Lever Factory village of of Port Sunlight is worth it, also the nearby Price's candles estate at Bromborough Pool, then why not the Lever country estate housing at Thornton Hough, first two by Merseysrail (Port Sunlight Station) last one by bus.

You'd be far better getting the Merseyrail train to Liverpool for the waterfront, and all the 'recent' history around, or go to Chester if you prefer much older history.
Day Saver ticket £5.55 for travel after 9:30, good for Bus or Train (trains are very bike friendly, for the bike you don't have with you...)
Day Saver ticket covers the ferry service too but only as it is running as commuter service between Liverpool - Seacombe.

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2020, 08:32:58 am »
Thanks everyone. Any decent Indian/Bangladeshi restaurants and/or where I can have a bowl of scouse?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2020, 05:45:20 pm »
The Lebanese restaurant Bachich is good, if it is still trading. There were two or three Outlets, I think.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2020, 05:56:44 pm »
Bakchich on Bold St is good & is open subject to restrictions. 

My favourite Liverpool Indians have both closed down .      Mowgli on Castle St & Bold St are popular , but  I think a bit over rated.    The UnI on Renshaw St is an institution , but I can't recall going there sober.....

Bacaro at the end of Castle St away from the Town Hall is very good for Tapas style stuff.

Avoid Matthew St & Concert Square of an evening unless you like crowds of pissed up yoof....

Another good little pub https://www.facebook.com/TheLionTavernLiverpool

Edit  https://www.facebook.com/swanliverpool/    unless loud heavy rock & people with scars,  tattoos & piercings put you off............

« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2020, 07:12:40 am »
A ride on the river bus is interesting and on one stop you can visit a sliced open U-Boat and small museum.
Never knowingly under caffeinated