Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3882879 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23150 on: 10 April, 2020, 08:04:24 am »
First decent ride on the N+1 Airnimal yesterday, one of my nice local loops on backroads and along riverbanks.  A bit of fettling to add a seatpost mounted bottle cage and all was good.  I think the stem needs a slight directional tweak as something was disturbing my eyeline, other than that and a need to recenter the front disc brake to prevent it rubbing it's worked perfectly straight out of the box.  Nice still conditions yesterday with not much more than a light breeze and I was easily maintaining audax speed with a nice straight chainline (it's a 1 x 11).  Might take it in a different direction today to the local "hill" see how it goes upwards.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23151 on: 10 April, 2020, 09:19:16 am »
Did local MTB trail at 0730.  Took it very easily so as not to overburden NHS  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #23152 on: 10 April, 2020, 11:06:36 am »
Just down to the Polski Sklep in Sydenham.
Scored four jars of my avatar.  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23153 on: 10 April, 2020, 11:58:38 am »

32km shopping expedition. Featuring extra special, bodge edition backpack panniers.
Top quaxxing!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #23154 on: 10 April, 2020, 12:53:07 pm »
Interesting comment from the Scottish First Ministers briefing today from Professor Leitch, the jist of which was - Exercise is exercise, not recreation, not your hobby. Do not go mountain biking. Keep it to 30 mins to an hour....to stay healthy.

S2L

« Reply #23155 on: 10 April, 2020, 01:15:15 pm »
Interesting comment from the Scottish First Ministers briefing today from Professor Leitch, the jist of which was - Exercise is exercise, not recreation, not your hobby. Do not go mountain biking. Keep it to 30 mins to an hour....to stay healthy.

I am all for having set rules, so that this all witch hunt ends... since the lockdown I have been keeping my rides within 50 km (90-95 min), if I have to cut them to 45 or 60 minutes, I will comply no problem.
I have my mind set at the autumn hill climb season, so distance is not really something I crave right now and I am happy with 60 minutes of fresh air at a swift pace

bairn again

« Reply #23156 on: 10 April, 2020, 03:04:12 pm »
24km from home to Gogar - Ratho - Newbridge - home. 

Roads nice and quiet but not so quiet that there wasnt one BMW arse.  Its always a BMW it seems.

Very weak sunshine, cool really about 13 deg.

Would much rather have been York Arrowing but there we are. 

« Reply #23157 on: 10 April, 2020, 03:11:54 pm »
Fifteen miles. Down to Friston via Polegate and Jevington. Decided not to do the Birling Gap loop as expect it's busy today so came back the way I'd gone.

Lovely weather for it.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #23158 on: 10 April, 2020, 03:12:01 pm »
I'm not going to take tips from the fucking Scots about my own health thanks. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_effect

Did a 70km fixed gear ride to the medicine garden cafe (which is obviously shut) and back. Great time out of the house. Really nice seeing family rides on the roads too. I will do deliveroo later
. Critical worker gang represent!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23159 on: 10 April, 2020, 03:14:48 pm »
got up early (=no traffic), kept the pace steady (=no heart attack), enjoyed every minute of it. third photo is m25 at rush hour.

Phil W

« Reply #23160 on: 10 April, 2020, 04:13:32 pm »
Nice laney loop with wife . Out relatively early before it got too warm.  The fields are a blaze of yellow with all the rape seed flowering.  Saw 3-4 red kites and heard their calls.  I took Brompton to give myself an aerodynamic and gearing penalty.

« Reply #23161 on: 10 April, 2020, 05:41:44 pm »
46km loop around the Campsies. Overdressed, esp for the mediumy/hardy effort I made. Roads were not very quiet but I very rarely go out in the afternoon; I suspect they were quiet-ish for the time of day.

ElyDave

« Reply #23162 on: 10 April, 2020, 06:16:06 pm »
26 degrees according to Garmin when I was out today, full summer kit.  Just over an hour, 32km in total to test the airnimal "uphill", no issues really. Bit on the breezy side vs yesterday, but good to get out

« Reply #23163 on: 10 April, 2020, 06:25:00 pm »

From earlier.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23164 on: 10 April, 2020, 07:40:00 pm »
In the interests of boredom and speeding motorist avoidance, I tried the truncated version of my Henley-in-Icecream loop.  It turned out to be longer than I remembered, and considerably harder work on the Streetmachine than it is on the Baron[1].  The ice cream shop was of course shut, which was striking given the weather.

Got gawped at by two pedestrians, and gawped back at the last moment when I realised they were each carrying a parrot.

Flytipper's Lane is sporting a road closed sign at one end.  I'm not sure why, but it probably involves flytipping.

Still loads of people out on bikes, but being further from civilisation they were mostly the Lycra brigade.

[1] It's staying indoors on the basis that skinny tyres and no suspension is a bad idea given that the objective is exercise with a minimum of falling off.

ElyDave

« Reply #23165 on: 10 April, 2020, 07:42:31 pm »

From earlier.

You're only allowed out for an hour! Shirley a biscuit stop is excessive?

« Reply #23166 on: 10 April, 2020, 08:40:13 pm »
A ride to the bike shop in Windsor to drop a wheel in for a new cassette to be fitted  .rode  back via the Windsor bypass which was very quiet  :) about 9 miles
the slower you go the more you see

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #23167 on: 10 April, 2020, 08:59:06 pm »
40km around various empty Suffolk lanes. Thought I'd risk a short stretch of the A12 Cycleway for the experience of an empty A12 and first time on that facility. It's crap, and I won't bother again. The rest of the ride was delightful, though the 17C we registered at 2-3pm was well below what you folk further West enjoyed!

ElyDave

« Reply #23168 on: 10 April, 2020, 09:35:41 pm »
Considering I'm not that far from you I'm surprised at that difference.

I actually cycled on the A10 for a short stretch today without the close passing, fumes and horns. Long may it last.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #23169 on: 10 April, 2020, 10:51:02 pm »
The moderate easterly (onshore) wind made sure we didn't experience anything close to 'unseasonably warm'! I suspect it will be much the same tomorrow; the 26C forecast for That London is likely to be a good 8-10C warmer than we'll get. The upside is that the forecast Big Chill for Monday will be less of a shock for us!

« Reply #23170 on: 10 April, 2020, 11:17:21 pm »

From earlier.

You're only allowed out for an hour! Shirley a biscuit stop is excessive?
Oh yes. Whilst it was just over an hour the stop wasn't required. It was, however, delicious.

bairn again

« Reply #23171 on: 11 April, 2020, 01:11:03 pm »

I just heard Prof. Leitch say the same thing on the radio, in the context of mountain biking. 

I appreciate that he may only be a <checks notes> a “fucking Scot” (rendering him null and void in the eyes of certain other contributors to this thread) but he speaks for the Government here and the emphasis was definitely on exercise and specifically not hobby which is a distinction Id not considered previously. 

The slightly contradictory bit of course is that going eyeballs out is definitely exercise but increases ones risk profile.  I fully intend continuing my 50km rides, on the basis that Im exercising and if quizzed by the authorities I will claim to not be enjoying myself, citing my default facial expression (the kids used to call it RBS syndrome) as evidence.   :thumbsup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Leitch

« Reply #23172 on: 11 April, 2020, 01:31:34 pm »
.... I will claim to not be enjoying myself, citing my default facial expression (the kids used to call it RBS syndrome) as evidence.   :thumbsup:

See also Amazon syndrome.   I strongly resembled this sentiment for more years than was good for me.

Phil W

« Reply #23173 on: 11 April, 2020, 01:54:13 pm »
Interesting comment from the Scottish First Ministers briefing today from Professor Leitch, the jist of which was - Exercise is exercise, not recreation

Is this a stereotypical comment on the dour Scotsman?

You may exercise but at all times pleasure must remain barren; rocky, infertile, or otherwise difficult or impossible to cultivate. Anyone caught smiling will be fined.

bairn again

« Reply #23174 on: 11 April, 2020, 03:07:08 pm »
Interesting comment from the Scottish First Ministers briefing today from Professor Leitch, the jist of which was - Exercise is exercise, not recreation

Is this a stereotypical comment on the dour Scotsman?

You may exercise but at all times pleasure must remain barren; rocky, infertile, or otherwise difficult or impossible to cultivate. Anyone caught smiling will be fined.
Aye he does have a touch of the Reverend I M Jolly about him.

As do most of us “fucking Scots” Im afraid.   ;)