Author Topic: Attempted assault from a car tonight  (Read 1677 times)

Attempted assault from a car tonight
« on: 19 September, 2011, 10:25:20 pm »
I was half an hour into an evening ride tonight, cycling through Buckland Common when a car started to overtake me, I felt a blow on the the outside thigh.  The car was too far away for it to be a collision with any part of the car - the passenger side mirror was at least a foot away from me and the car was not being driven erratically.  Fortunately, a pretty light blow and not nearly enough to destabilise me on the heavy steel bike.

I finished my 27 mile ride and worked out that I was cycling in Bucks at the time, so called Thames Valley Police who seemed to take it quite seriously.  I've made an appointment to visit their nearest police station in Chesham in Wednesday (I live in Herts).

No chance of successful prosecution, I know, but if these idiots have a go at every cyclist they overtake then someone else will be seriously hurt or even killed.

It spoilt what was otherwise a really nice evening for a ride having to repeat the car registration so I did not forget.

Re: Attempted assault from a car tonight
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2011, 10:49:19 pm »
That's a horrible experience and I hope the police can do something as you have been able to give them a license plate number!

One trick I've used in the past when I've needed to remember license plates or phone numbers is to call my own mobile phone.  As I'm already on the phone, it goes straight through to voicemail, so I leave myself a voicemail with the relevant info.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2011, 06:29:43 am »
Commiserations, let's hope they take it seriously and you have a better outcome than this cyclist.

http://www.cyclechat.net/topic/93144-yet-again-driver-gets-away-with-it/

Well done for getting the reg no.

It always sounds unbearably smug when I say this, but this sort of thing makes me glad I run a headcam while I'm riding.

« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2011, 08:39:48 am »
When I had a simmilar occurance in April on rote to the FNRttC, Surrey Police were unable to prosecute (I couldn't attempt to identify the passenger) but visited the registered owner and the person he identified as the driver. I understand that access rights for borrowing Grandads van of an evening have been withdrawn.

Heres hoping that TVP can be equally effective at putting the wind up the driver.

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2011, 09:35:19 am »
It happens occasionally. It's not generally malicious, just someone drunk or hard of thinking 'having a laugh'.  The most dangerous thing is probably the surprise factor rather than the physical contact.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2011, 12:53:28 pm »
Really? I'd say it's fucking dangerous, and potentially lethal if a fall results.

The cycle chat example above was *clearly* intened to result in a fall (one person pushing, the other removing hand from bars).

Charge IMO should be attempted murder.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2011, 02:15:46 pm »
Yes, it should, but won't ever go anywhere.
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2011, 02:28:48 pm »
Yes, it should, but won't ever go anywhere.

Indeed. Such actions are ***dy dangerous. It's only luck that determines whether serious injury or none result.
But nobody takes these things seriously.

If death results, the victim won't be able to report things and all witnesses will either evaporate or be deemed 'biased'. But it's funny to knock a cyclist off his mount, isn't it???

Ha fucking ha!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2011, 02:39:17 pm »
Exactly.  Throwing things or spitting is ambiguous, but shoving, shouting, horn-honking mid overtake and jumping out making gorilla noises at bus stops are all clearly intended to startle with the hope of causing a fall.

There's a little part of my brain that wants to react to such things by falling off and playing dead (on the basis that a minute or two of panic on realising it wasn't actually that funny is likely to be more effective than any realistic police action), but I'm not skilful enough to do so without damage to myself or the bike.

I count myself lucky that bikes are inherently stable and less easy to startle than I am.

Good luck with the police!