Author Topic: Wrong-side riding on psychlepaths  (Read 7105 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Wrong-side riding on psychlepaths
« Reply #50 on: 20 September, 2011, 07:14:48 am »
Again, I'm compelled to point out the edge-case of British Waterways advice to cyclists on towpaths, which is to always pass pedestrians on the water side.  It makes good sense for cyclist/pedestrian interactions, but I've no idea how commonly known it is, and of course it doesn't help for bike/bike.  I suspect that the ones who are canal boat users (and therefore more likely to be exposed to British Waterways literature) are more likely to be aware of it than 'normal' cyclists, and the ratio is going to vary a lot depending on what bit of path you consider.

In practice, there's either lots of room - in which case defaulting to the left usually works - or riders make an arbitrary decision about who deviates from the singletrack based on relative speed, politeness, bar width, load, off-road capability of the bike and so on.  Most of the time this works surprisingly well.  More so than on off-road paths where there isn't a straight choice between snagging on a hedge/fence or falling in a canal.

I did know that....  :smug:

Funnily enough, when cycling up to Gordy's, it seemed to depend on whether the pedestrian had a dog/children as to whether I passed on the water side or not.  Those who were on their own/with adults tended to stop and stand on the water side of the path, so that I could pass on the bank side with all my luggage.  Those with kids/dogs tended to step to the bank side, so that I passed water side.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #51 on: 20 September, 2011, 08:01:42 am »
On the Bristol Bath cycle path, canal section, I am very cautious about going 'water' side, if approaching from behind, or if they are not looking / concentrating (which is the norm - especially textbox-titheads & people talking to friends), since you can't rely on them not wandering.

If I go land side and they 'wander' the worst place I end up is on the ground on dry land, whereas on the other side, I'm swimming and my bike is GONE, unless of course I can't release my cleats, in which case I am also GONE...

I know I am stupid, but I'm not that stupid  :smug:
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #52 on: 20 September, 2011, 08:14:44 am »
Define ' tithead'  ???

Why cant a system be devised/adhered to that is similiar to roads, where all traffic goes on the left, with pedestrians nearest to the verge !

Martin

« Reply #53 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:10:50 am »
Define ' tithead'  ???

Why cant a system be devised/adhered to that is similiar to roads, where all traffic goes on the left, with pedestrians nearest to the verge !

I took it to mean people who are unable to walk anywhere without the need to post replies on facebook etc;

the reason the road priority cannot simply be dropped into the cyclepath situation is because they are fundamentally different entities; you don't tend to get people with prams and dogs wandering down main roads; or HGV's driving down canal paths. Yes common sense would dictate that you pass on the same side as you would on a road but every path situation is different and requires a bit of judgement courtesy and common sense.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #54 on: 20 September, 2011, 01:44:44 pm »
There's a bit of our cycle track that has a fence. The best side of the path to cycle on is the non fence side.

Interestingly, that is on the left hand when you go down the track one way and on the right side when you come back. Why on earth did they build it that way  ???
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #55 on: 20 September, 2011, 05:40:33 pm »
Happened to me today 3 women. Within a 5 minute cycle ride :facepalm:

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #56 on: 20 September, 2011, 05:55:14 pm »
I forget where on the Continent a fellow-student of mine came from, who complained that in England we walk all over the place on the pavement and don't just keep right like sensible people.
Not especially helpful or mature

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #57 on: 20 September, 2011, 11:19:04 pm »
Define ' tithead'  ???

I took it to mean people who are unable to walk anywhere without the need to post replies on facebook etc;

the reason the road priority cannot simply be dropped into the cyclepath situation is because they are fundamentally different entities; you don't tend to get people with prams and dogs wandering down main roads; or HGV's driving down canal paths. Yes common sense would dictate that you pass on the same side as you would on a road but every path situation is different and requires a bit of judgement courtesy and common sense.

+1 to judgement courtesy and common sense

A textbox is any handheld device used whilst walking, that acts much like the blinkers on a horse, and which takes up someone's entire life without them realising that there is a real world passing them by.....  whereas the Tithead is the person enslaved to it.....

Maybe we should refer to them as T-Ts ?
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 20 September, 2011, 11:22:33 pm »
A textbox is any handheld device used whilst walking, that acts much like the blinkers on a horse, and which takes up someone's entire life without them realising that there is a real world passing them by.....  whereas the Tithead is the person enslaved to it.....

When I was a kid, we called those 'books'.

Many happy hours were spent applying elastoplast to bollard injuries and cleaning unnoticed dog poo (yes, sometimes the white ones) off shoes.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #59 on: 21 September, 2011, 08:43:07 am »
I used to read while walking.  Still do, actually, on those rare occasions when I am walking on my own and not wheeling a bike.  I did once walk into a lamppost outside my house (which I was walking straight past :-[ ) :-[
Getting there...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #60 on: 21 September, 2011, 08:46:08 am »
… oh, to have been there to see it!!!  ;D ;D
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #61 on: 21 September, 2011, 08:49:01 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/T-RkuXPj3Q4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/T-RkuXPj3Q4&rel=1</a>
Getting there...