Author Topic: What are you drinking right now?  (Read 316659 times)

What are you drinking right now?
« Reply #1400 on: 29 December, 2012, 11:00:20 pm »
Currently in the Roscoe Head. Tiny place, it's been in _every_ edition of the Good Beer Guide...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: What are you drinking right now?
« Reply #1401 on: 29 December, 2012, 11:12:38 pm »
Grolsch,& eating Pringles while lozzocking on the sofa watching MotD.
Olympic gold standard lounge-lizard performance ;D

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #1402 on: 29 December, 2012, 11:20:36 pm »
Bishops Finger whilst watching QI XL

« Reply #1403 on: 29 December, 2012, 11:26:09 pm »
Bragdy Celebration. Now in The Swan, probably my favourite pub in the world. Been drinking here for 30 years! Scary!

I'm fairly smartly dressed tonight, I'm one of the few people here who doesn't have tatts or facial piercings!

Iron Maiden on the jukebox....

A woman has just asked me if I'll watch her drink while she goes outside for a smoke, and made me promise not to put anything in it....!

« Reply #1404 on: 30 December, 2012, 12:53:23 am »
Green & Blacks Hot Chocolate...... :P

An interesting night, bumped into a former boss who "took early retirement" (he used to have a coke can on his desk which he'd top up from a bottle of vodka) and a couple of ladies I spectacularly failed to get off with about 15 years ago...

« Reply #1405 on: 30 December, 2012, 12:56:21 am »
A snowball ;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1406 on: 30 December, 2012, 12:58:14 am »
Black Grouse with Becks chaser.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1407 on: 30 December, 2012, 01:59:53 am »

At 12.53am I was drinking exactly the same hoping it would send me off to sleep. It's clearly worked.

(After twenty years of semi-skimmed, I've now gone back to full fat, full time. Calories be damned!)
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1408 on: 30 December, 2012, 01:14:05 pm »

At 12.53am I was drinking exactly the same hoping it would send me off to sleep. It's clearly worked.

(After twenty years of semi-skimmed, I've now gone back to full fat, full time. Calories be damned!)

Calories in milk don't add up to much if you only drink half a pint a day. (In round figures half a pint of full cream 200kcal, semi-skimmed 150 kcal, skimmed 100 kcal. Full cream is rather nice...)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1409 on: 30 December, 2012, 01:37:02 pm »
Whittards breakfast blend coffee, from my Christmas selection box.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1410 on: 30 December, 2012, 02:40:26 pm »
Recent drinking has been mostly:

Gadd's Little Cracker - had the whole family round yesterday and my dad brought a pin over, straight from the brewery. We polished most of it off between us. Marvellous stuff.

Snowballs - following a discussion with my wife last week, I realised that a) I've never had a snowball, and b) I was under a misapprehension as to their contents - for some reason, I thought advocaat was a banana-based concoction, so had always avoided it until my wife clarified that it's actually more like custard with brandy in it. Which sounds right up my street. So I bought a bottle of Warninks, made myself a snowball and discovered I rather liked it. So I had another one. And another...

Coffee - which isn't particularly interesting except for the fact that it's been made using the Aeropress my sister bought me for my birthday.  :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1411 on: 30 December, 2012, 04:57:42 pm »
On Christmas Day, we had a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne from 2000 (it was a freebie).  Supposedly vintage.  Pah!  It was exceedingly dry.  I had to force myself to finish the bottle.  If I'd really wanted fizzy wine, then Prosecco would have been much nicer.

A much nicer tipple on Boxing Day was a bottle of Eden Gold from the Eden Brewery in Penrith.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1412 on: 30 December, 2012, 11:01:08 pm »
G&T.

Perhaps I should confiscate my own phone now, since my responsible adult has now left the Den...

« Reply #1413 on: 30 December, 2012, 11:06:25 pm »
Amongst several others, I had a Purity Mad Goose. I thought it tasted rather lemony - in a good way - and this was confirmed by the tasting notes. For the first time, I have filled one of my recycling boxes with empties. Hic!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #1414 on: 03 January, 2013, 03:49:08 pm »
Tea.
Which wouldn't normally merit comment, but this is the last of the tea that I brought back from India.

citoyen

« Reply #1415 on: 03 January, 2013, 05:46:25 pm »
It was exceedingly dry. 

Possibly served too cold? That will kill what sweetness there is. Champagne shouldn't be served fridge-cold. But in any case, dry is good in my book - most sparkling wine is too sweet for my taste.  Hence I tend to prefer champagne to prosecco.

Also, I've just looked up the 2000 Dom Perignon and...  :o

Clearly it was wasted on you. :facepalm:

I had to force myself to finish the bottle.

My heart bleeds. ;D

d.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1416 on: 03 January, 2013, 08:08:51 pm »
Black Sheep, which is a pleasant enough ale, but is not a patch on Fuller's ESB. I don't think I've tasted a better bottled beer than ESB, with the exception of well-matured Eldridge Pope "Thomas Hardy" ale. This is now unobtainable and also 11% alcohol and therefore not to be imbibed in large quantities. I have just one bottle left, dating form 2008 I think, so it's not ready yet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #1417 on: 03 January, 2013, 08:52:39 pm »
Not usually a lager type, but currently drinking "Chti" which is rather nice.  Named after the dialect (and the pejorative / affectionate term, depending on your perspective, for the inhabitants of) the Nord-Pas-De-Calais.

citoyen

« Reply #1418 on: 03 January, 2013, 08:58:30 pm »
ESB is a very fine beer indeed.

Black Sheep is also a fine beer - but only from the cask. The bottled version, not being bottle conditioned, lacks body and depth of flavour.

d.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1419 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:03:51 pm »
Is ESB bottle-conditioned?

I'm sure the label, in years gone by, described it as a bottle-conditioned ale, but I don't think it does any more.

« Reply #1420 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:07:48 pm »
Black Sheep, which is a pleasant enough ale, but is not a patch on Fuller's ESB. I don't think I've tasted a better bottled beer than ESB, with the exception of well-matured Eldridge Pope "Thomas Hardy" ale....

Possibly the most perfect, readily available English ale, if you ask me (and any large cohort of homebrewers).
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

citoyen

« Reply #1421 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:15:52 pm »
Chesil "pilsner ale" from the Dorset Brewing Co.

Bit of an oddity - an ale made with lager malt. Not really a pilsner - more like a kölsch in character, perhaps. Pleasantly refreshing, but would have been better on a warm summer day than a cold winter evening.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #1422 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:17:10 pm »

I'm sure the label, in years gone by, described it as a bottle-conditioned ale, but I don't think it does any more.

As far as I know, ESB is still bottle conditioned. If not, I'll be very disappointed. I've not had it for a while though, tbh.

d.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1423 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:21:40 pm »
My favourite cheap wine.  Romanian Prairie Merlot.
Available from the Co-op for £6ish and not entirely horrible.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1424 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:41:13 pm »

As far as I know, ESB is still bottle conditioned. If not, I'll be very disappointed. I've not had it for a while though, tbh.

d.

Fuller's website boasts about their 1845 ale being bottle conditioned but I could find no mention of ESB so being. I'm sure that a few years ago it was. If it is pasteurised, it still tastes really good.