Author Topic: What are you drinking right now?  (Read 316607 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: What are you drinking right now?
« Reply #2225 on: 24 March, 2016, 09:36:52 pm »
Tell us about the gin, ian. Enquiring minds need to know.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2226 on: 25 March, 2016, 12:30:45 am »
Since gin has been mentioned, I'll just add that Helen and I are off to a gin festival on Easter Sunday before we dash home to watch Gent-Wevelgem.
Bike race watching is usually is accompanied by beer or Champagne drinking.
It could get messy.
We're both on holiday Monday.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2227 on: 25 March, 2016, 04:39:06 pm »
coffee, and more coffee.  Working at the moment.

Need some water after just coffee all day and a lunchtime run.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2228 on: 26 March, 2016, 11:42:38 pm »
Pedro Ximenez sherry. I've never really done sherry before but as an experiment I bought some Amontillado at Xmas,  as I do like dry white wine.
Didn't like it so gave it to my sherry drinking friend. She repaid me with a bottle of PX.
Nomnomnom.

It *is* incredibly sweet, but much more complex than similar sweetness of port I have had.

Again, nomnomnom  :P

« Reply #2229 on: 28 March, 2016, 01:01:45 pm »
Well, it is a bank holiday, so…

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2230 on: 28 March, 2016, 01:21:47 pm »
Nothing to do with a fecking bank.

I just finished a mug of tea.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2231 on: 28 March, 2016, 02:22:18 pm »
Pedro Ximenez sherry. I've never really done sherry before but as an experiment I bought some Amontillado at Xmas,  as I do like dry white wine.
Didn't like it so gave it to my sherry drinking friend. She repaid me with a bottle of PX.
Nomnomnom.

It *is* incredibly sweet, but much more complex than similar sweetness of port I have had.

Again, nomnomnom  :P

I experienced my first glass of PX, at a tapas bar*, the other week. Goes brilliantly with dessert.

In that centre of the Iberian world, Sheffield!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2232 on: 28 March, 2016, 07:18:17 pm »
Pineau des Charentes.
It's not exactly recovery drink, but what the hey.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #2233 on: 29 March, 2016, 07:49:28 am »
Yesterday PM took the dog down to the local beach bar, where enjoyed a delightful Spanish gin&tonic. Ie about a pint in a huge glass with various seeds and stuff in it. Delicious but noticed I was unsteady on the bike as we rode back up the hill.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2234 on: 29 March, 2016, 08:16:10 am »
Postientacular cuppa.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #2235 on: 29 March, 2016, 07:32:30 pm »

Scheibel Gin, finished in cherry brandy casks. I'm always been in mixed minds about barrel aged gins, but it is quite smooth and nommy. The some Bavarka gin. Based on potato spirit so the goes milky with tonic. And finally, some Bobby’s Schiedam Dry Gin, which I had in the ginvent calendar and rather liked.

Fearing being short of gin after a global societal collapse (you can stuff your canned goods, I'm not signing off with a spoonful of cold baked beans) I let the bloke in a Sevenoaks offy convince a rather me to buy some Haswell Gin at the weekend. I resisted another local gin on the grounds it was £60 and I figured I could get it online cheaper and whilst I can discuss gin at length, owing to the fact we'd just trudged through an epic rainstorm I was standing in cold puddle of my own making (not literally) and really wanted to go home, but lordy can I remember the name now? No. It was sixty per cent boozeahol and created by some local chemists who had chucked in the rat race to distill hooch. So the knowledgable chap behind the counter explained. Further googling is required.

In bad news on the barrel-aging front, I've run out of both Pirate Noir and Bible Belt (well, it was a long weekend, and given that Bible Belt is based on Even More Jesus stout, I felt it would be what He wanted at Easter time, what better way to celebrate a painful crucifixion). And I can't find more!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2236 on: 29 March, 2016, 07:58:06 pm »
Mmm, Bobby's is my favourite :)

ElyDave

« Reply #2237 on: 30 March, 2016, 01:53:35 pm »

Scheibel Gin, finished in cherry brandy casks. I'm always been in mixed minds about barrel aged gins, but it is quite smooth and nommy. The some Bavarka gin. Based on potato spirit so the goes milky with tonic. And finally, some Bobby’s Schiedam Dry Gin, which I had in the ginvent calendar and rather liked.

Fearing being short of gin after a global societal collapse (you can stuff your canned goods, I'm not signing off with a spoonful of cold baked beans) I let the bloke in a Sevenoaks offy convince a rather me to buy some Haswell Gin at the weekend. I resisted another local gin on the grounds it was £60 and I figured I could get it online cheaper and whilst I can discuss gin at length, owing to the fact we'd just trudged through an epic rainstorm I was standing in cold puddle of my own making (not literally) and really wanted to go home, but lordy can I remember the name now? No. It was sixty per cent boozeahol and created by some local chemists who had chucked in the rat race to distill hooch. So the knowledgable chap behind the counter explained. Further googling is required.

In bad news on the barrel-aging front, I've run out of both Pirate Noir and Bible Belt (well, it was a long weekend, and given that Bible Belt is based on Even More Jesus stout, I felt it would be what He wanted at Easter time, what better way to celebrate a painful crucifixion). And I can't find more!

Never tried barrel aged gin - Any good?  I'm a fan of the barrel aged grappas.

ian

« Reply #2238 on: 30 March, 2016, 06:48:17 pm »
Hmm, well I like barrel-aged stuff in general (oh god, I'm thinking of Pirate Noir again, imperial oatmeal stout aged in Jamaican rum barrels, probably by actual godforsaken motherfucking pirates y'argh). Gin, on the other hand, I think should float on the subtle botanicals rather than be flattened by oak. Theory aside though, it's worth a punt, I have a couple and none of them are so overly oaked so that can't still taste the underlying botanicals.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #2239 on: 31 March, 2016, 10:06:18 am »
My wife went to the Ginstitute and concocted her own gin that tastes like parma violets. I think its bloody disgusting!

Bairn Again

« Reply #2240 on: 03 April, 2016, 07:33:01 pm »
Currently savouring a Talisker 18 yo, purchased from the distillery and being consumed a few miles away in front of a roaring open fire after a fine days walking on Skye.  Living the dream. 

ElyDave

« Reply #2241 on: 03 April, 2016, 08:18:00 pm »
Currently savouring a Talisker 18 yo, purchased from the distillery and being consumed a few miles away in front of a roaring open fire after a fine days walking on Skye.  Living the dream.

lucky you  :thumbsup: 

I don't by Talisker very often, but I have an opening for some peaty iodine-iness at the moment having just finished by Laprhoaig last night.

For me, tonight it's St Peters Organic Ale, on offer at Waitrose. 

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2242 on: 04 April, 2016, 12:08:05 am »
Hmm.  Let me see.
I has in the Bournville cellar:
A half full bottle of Laphroaig
About a third of a bottle of Dalwhinnie
Most of a bottle of Chivas Regal. (For guests  :demon:)
About a quarter of a bottle of Teachers (For other guests  :demon:  :demon:)

Do you know what?  I'm probably going to have a Teachers and coke as a night cap.   See?  I'm not proud.  It's the wrong time of night for a proper dram.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2243 on: 07 April, 2016, 10:25:50 pm »
I was looking forward to a nice cup of tea........    I just popped into the co-op to pick up a pizza for tomorrow as I have to be out early in the evening.

The had Bengal Lancer at £5 for 3 ........    I've not had that since Mildenhall a feww years ago  :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #2244 on: 09 April, 2016, 07:13:02 pm »
I'm so completely jetlagged that I believe the only cure is gin. Worth a try. It can't make the world more fuzzy than it already is.

Bairn Again

« Reply #2245 on: 09 April, 2016, 11:19:05 pm »
Birthday dinner at home, experimenting with twists on margaritas.  Best was a raspberry and ginger - tequila, chambord, crabbies green ginger lime juice topped up with Lindemans framboise. 

fuzzy

« Reply #2246 on: 11 April, 2016, 02:13:27 pm »
I picked up a bonus from the bike shop boss yesterday- reward for being a swot on Trek University. A mixed case of Rebellion Brewery bottled beers. 4 each of Red, Roasted Nuts Extra and Blonde.

Yum, yum and thrice yum :thumbsup:

« Reply #2247 on: 14 April, 2016, 07:52:11 pm »
Pint of Bowland  Gold  in the Station Tap at YRK.  Always a wait for train to THI so pity to totally waste the 25 minutes available. Pretty good beer.
There is so much choice that you could stay all night and  have a different beer for each round.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2248 on: 15 April, 2016, 01:26:08 am »
Need a celebratory bottle of wine tonight for the 20th anniversary of my "Slapping the nut on mother Earth".
Must be fairly budget level, not too sweet and like being chilled to within 1 degree farenheit of slushy ice. No decent independent wine stockists local so it'll be a supermarket job.
Any suggestions?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2249 on: 15 April, 2016, 07:36:14 am »
Need a celebratory bottle of wine tonight for the 20th anniversary of my "Slapping the nut on mother Earth".
Must be fairly budget level, not too sweet and like being chilled to within 1 degree farenheit of slushy ice. No decent independent wine stockists local so it'll be a supermarket job.
Any suggestions?

Try a white rioja, Faustino V can usually be found at supermarkets, for not too much.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State