Author Topic: What are you drinking right now?  (Read 316610 times)

Re: What are you drinking right now?
« Reply #650 on: 25 February, 2011, 11:26:36 pm »
Chase potato vodka.
Best vodka in the world 2010. Apparently.

I haven't tried all the vodkas in the world (yet) but it's pretty darned good.

Not sure whether to have another or got to bed.
Big day tomorrow.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #651 on: 25 February, 2011, 11:43:40 pm »
Brains SA Gold

I don't rate this actually, it sounds (and tastes) like an attempt to infiltrate the vertical drinking establishment market - stick with SA or Dark if you can find it.

Just finishing off a nice Rhymney Export. Tesco stocks it, but probably not outside South Wales.

Here in Embra it's not a question of the Brains you want, rather the Brains you can get!  There are certainly many better local brews that carry off the same hoppy, light-coloured thing off much better (Deuchars; Schiehallion; Williams Bros Gold/Joker) - but sometimes an exile just can't resist a hint of a taste of home.

The best Welsh-brewed equivalent that I've tried to the Scottish beers listed above is probably Cwrw Haf.  But then I don't get out much  ;)

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #652 on: 25 February, 2011, 11:46:51 pm »
JD & Coke  :P

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #653 on: 26 February, 2011, 12:21:17 am »
Brains SA Gold

I don't rate this actually, it sounds (and tastes) like an attempt to infiltrate the vertical drinking establishment market - stick with SA or Dark if you can find it.

Just finishing off a nice Rhymney Export. Tesco stocks it, but probably not outside South Wales.

Here in Embra it's not a question of the Brains you want, rather the Brains you can get!  There are certainly many better local brews that carry off the same hoppy, light-coloured thing off much better (Deuchars; Schiehallion; Williams Bros Gold/Joker) - but sometimes an exile just can't resist a hint of a taste of home.

The best Welsh-brewed equivalent that I've tried to the Scottish beers listed above is probably Cwrw Haf.  But then I don't get out much  ;)

I lived in Embra in the mid-late 90s, I remember seeing Brains SA as a guest ale in a couple of pubs (one opposite EBC somewhere springs to mind). Nice to see a Welsh beer there, but not really a taste of home as I'm from 200 miles north of Cardiff originally! Deuchars IPA was one of my faves when I was there, along with Caley 80 shilling... do they still brew Gillespie's Stout?

« Reply #654 on: 26 February, 2011, 08:48:00 pm »
Cantillon Gueuze

« Reply #655 on: 26 February, 2011, 09:17:25 pm »
Waitrose Farm Cox's cider.

Not great. But doing the job.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #656 on: 26 February, 2011, 09:39:14 pm »

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #657 on: 26 February, 2011, 09:44:50 pm »
Brains SA Gold

I lived in Embra in the mid-late 90s, I remember seeing Brains SA as a guest ale in a couple of pubs (one opposite EBC somewhere springs to mind). Nice to see a Welsh beer there, but not really a taste of home as I'm from 200 miles north of Cardiff originally! Deuchars IPA was one of my faves when I was there, along with Caley 80 shilling... do they still brew Gillespie's Stout?

Gillespie's was a 90s flash in the pan: basically S&N trying to cash in on the Murphy's market, but it was quite drinkable given the standard choice (out in the country) of yellow-keg, brown-keg or black-keg.  I still have a Gillespie's t-shirt ...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #658 on: 26 February, 2011, 10:44:45 pm »
I still have a Gillespie's glass! One of the guys in my club at the time worked for S&N and had a monthly allowance of cans. He was in a teetotal serious racer phase at the time, so he used to give them away... good times!

« Reply #659 on: 27 February, 2011, 09:26:31 pm »
Double nom  :P :P
Double bottle opener too - caplifter AND corkscrew

Gouden Carolus tonight

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #660 on: 28 February, 2011, 12:03:16 pm »
Tesco (I know, I know...) have an own brand IPA made in Scotland - by Harviestoun, I think - that's labelled as a double IPA. It's on special at the moment at £1 for a 330ml bottle. I bought a couple of bottles last night, got it home & saw it's 9.2%!!!

It's one of the hoppiest beers I've ever tasted. I know there's a scale for hops, but this must be near the top of the scale. It's definitely not a quaffing beer, but worth a try, if that's your bag.

I bought a couple of bottles of this last week - American Double IPA, brewed by Brewdog, not Harviestoun. I quite like the American microbrewery take on IPA so I had to try it. It is unbelievably hoppy! It's hard to produce a beer stronger than 6% say without it tasting like Tennents Super, so maybe the extreme hops just mask it - I dunno. Definitely one to be taken slowly, and you won't be going straight back to the fridge for another as you finish the last sup. Nice though.

« Reply #661 on: 28 February, 2011, 12:15:42 pm »
My first cup of coffee made with beans I ground myself in my new Dualit coffee grinder. It is a Kenyan Blue Mountains bean. Very smooth  :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #662 on: 04 March, 2011, 09:00:18 pm »
A rather nice Vacqueyras :-P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #663 on: 04 March, 2011, 09:04:55 pm »
a malt from Arran.  Lovely and light, quite fine. 

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #664 on: 05 March, 2011, 08:10:06 pm »
Earlier, it was St Peters Honey Porter.  Now it's a very nice Chilean Malbec.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #665 on: 05 March, 2011, 08:22:21 pm »
Tripel Karmeliet

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #666 on: 05 March, 2011, 09:05:14 pm »
Tesco Finest Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.

I don't know much about wine, but I know what "Any 2 for £10" means.

« Reply #667 on: 09 March, 2011, 09:35:58 am »
Tesco Boheme Czech lager - not half bad - is on sale at my local Tesco at £2 for 3 500ml bottles. That's a bargain, though I suspect it means they're clearing it out, as they don't sell the cans there any more.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Martin

« Reply #668 on: 09 March, 2011, 10:30:35 pm »
Jagermeister (birthday present)

my god it's been many years! still hits the spot though. I understand there are other ways of drinking it than from a glass  :hand:  :demon:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #669 on: 19 March, 2011, 07:57:21 pm »
Chapel Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2009 - not bad.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #670 on: 19 March, 2011, 07:59:56 pm »
Betty Stogs a rather fine ale
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #671 on: 28 March, 2011, 10:59:37 am »
(Well, yesterday) Leitz Riesling Kabinett 2009 from Waitrose.  Very drinkable.  :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #672 on: 29 March, 2011, 09:31:40 pm »
Tasty delicious Cabalié 2010.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LindaG

« Reply #673 on: 29 March, 2011, 09:33:05 pm »
Stella

Simonb

« Reply #674 on: 29 March, 2011, 09:34:16 pm »
Jura