Author Topic: Protective smartphone cases  (Read 1833 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Protective smartphone cases
« on: 12 November, 2020, 06:04:54 pm »
What's good in protective smartphone cases these days? I've previously been a fan of Otterbox, Lifeproof and Tech21, but what else do people recommend? I'm always keen to look around and not just stick with what I know out of habit. I've also tried a Punkcase but wasn't so impressed.

I tend to favour a balance of protection and sleekness, so nothing too flimsy but not something that turns the phone into a breeze block either.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Re: Protective smartphone cases
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2020, 06:57:19 pm »
When I did, I used one of those silicone things for the back, but these days I don't – I have a sock thing for carrying it around, but no case for the actual phone once I slide it out to use it. It picks up the occasional scratch, but hell, it's a phone.

citoyen

« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2020, 07:11:45 pm »
I'm more concerned with preserving functionality than aesthetics. And wondering if maybe a screen protector is more important than a case.

There's also a usability angle. My current phone lives in an Otterbox Defender case, but I suspect it's a knock-off because the integrated screen protector affects the touch sensitivity.

« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2020, 07:13:00 pm »
I have a Quadlock case on my iPhone 11 Pro. I drop it near daily and haven't succeeded in smashing it.

My only annoyance is they only come in lose-me-anywhere black.

Oh and you can use it to mound your phone on your/bike/arm/desk/car/hovercraft.

« Reply #4 on: 12 November, 2020, 07:31:18 pm »
I use a leather case (sometimes Apple, sometimes aftermarket) plus tempered glass screen protector.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2020, 07:36:59 pm »
Spigen?   Very good as far as I can see - get good reviews.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2020, 07:40:28 pm »
I use whatever the one flippy cover style case that was available when I bought my phone is.  It provides a reasonable degree of minor scratch protection when it's rattling around in a bag, so I don't feel the need for a screen protector, and it doubles as a little stand which is very occasionally useful.

Sadly, while the case is magnetic, the phone (Moto G7) doesn't understand that it should wake up and go into standby in response to the cover opening and closing.  With the Moto G4 I found this really useful, and while the proximity detection and fingerprint scanner takes care of waking it up, I do miss it locking the screen automatically in response to flipping shut.

Barakta is a big fan of this style case, as it means she can hold the phone securely in her left hand.

ian

« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2020, 07:57:36 pm »
I confess to being quite clumsy, but I've never managed to inflict anything worse tham scratches (ok, I dented my last iPhone, some drunken fool sent it skittering across the road while trying to figure out a Uber).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2020, 08:01:31 pm »
I cracked the screen window on a Nokia 6310i once.  That was easily replaced.

The key thing with modern phones/tablets seems to be not to accidentally a) sit or  b) drop heavy objects  on them.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2020, 08:17:21 pm »
I have a Quadlock case on my iPhone 11 Pro. I drop it near daily and haven't succeeded in smashing it.

Of course! Quadlock! Forgot about them. Thanks.

Spigen?   Very good as far as I can see - get reviews.

Surprisingly cheap. Will investigate further, thanks.

« Reply #10 on: 13 November, 2020, 07:45:23 am »
I have a quadlock case with the extra "poncho" for when I take it running.

« Reply #11 on: 13 November, 2020, 08:20:57 am »
My trusty BlackBerry lives in a rather fetching green rubber skin.   ;)

« Reply #12 on: 13 November, 2020, 09:29:18 am »
As per AO, I'm a long term* Spigen fan, I use their clear cases like this. The bumpers really work, along with the screen inset, and I print and drop a photo into the back. They also make good screen protectors - as long as your model is listed and in stock. The sacrificial screen protector is essential if you are not going to have a wrap around case.

*c.8 years, 3 phones

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 13 November, 2020, 09:36:19 am »
The sacrificial screen protector is essential if you are not going to have a wrap around case.

I've been thinking that maybe the screen protector is even more important than the case. I don't mind too much if the body of the phone gets scratched and dented.

Cases I think are mainly a good idea for impact protection, to stop the innards getting rattled about too much when you drop it. I just don't know how well many of the cases available live up to their claims in this regard. I've been reading about Mous cases, they sound good. But pricey. Spigen make strong claims for theirs, which is especially surprising at the prices they charge.

« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2020, 09:46:06 am »
A good phone case is there to stop the screen glass breaking by dissipating  energy before it propagates to the brittle glass. The good ones have a lip round the edge so the glass can’t touch the ground if it lands face down.

A “screen protector” mostly just stops scratches.

ian

« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2020, 09:51:34 am »
Whatever you do, make sure you get a case that attaches to your belt. It's a look that, I hear, the chicks utterly dig.

« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2020, 10:26:39 am »
As grams says, drop a phone on its edge and the screen cracks.

Difficult to compare but I can tell you from time to time I drop my phone in ways that would have destroyed it without the case (1.5-2m drops), and I've not broken a phone with a Spigen case on.

ian

« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2020, 10:36:37 am »
My last work iPhone bounced all the way across the tram tracks in Frankfurt. It was a bit old so I was hoping a tram would finish the job, but it was 4am and they didn't oblige. Other than a dented corner and some scratches it was fine.

Anyway, I prefer my phones naked as the lord intended. Entombing them in giant plastic coffins seems to be a bloke thing, women I've noted just drop them into their handbag with their house keys (which even makes me cringe).

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 13 November, 2020, 10:43:31 am »
A good phone case is there to stop the screen glass breaking by dissipating  energy before it propagates to the brittle glass. The good ones have a lip round the edge so the glass can’t touch the ground if it lands face down.

A “screen protector” mostly just stops scratches.

OK, makes sense.

Last time I had a screen breakage, it was when the phone landed face down, and I've dropped the phone many other times on its side/back without screen breakage, but I appreciate this is merely anecdotal evidence.

I do have an annoying habit of scratching screens though - probably down to putting the phone in the same pocket as my keys...  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 13 November, 2020, 10:50:01 am »
I do have an annoying habit of scratching screens though - probably down to putting the phone in the same pocket as my keys...  :facepalm:
I was going to say something like this, having read this:
raised edges keep the screen contact-free on flat surfaces.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #20 on: 13 November, 2020, 11:42:40 am »
Happy with my Spigen/screen protector combo.

« Reply #21 on: 13 November, 2020, 11:50:40 am »
I have the Quadlock case, and have bought several of the (quite expensive) accessories (a couple of bike mounts, a tripod mount, an arm mount and a car dashboard mount), but thanks to Ian, I now know what I need to ask for Christmas:

https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/products/belt-clip-v3

citoyen

« Reply #22 on: 13 November, 2020, 11:55:17 am »
Just been looking at this - it has "nano" in the name, so it must be good... right?

https://spigen.co.uk/collections/iphone-xs/products/screen-protector-glas-tr-nano-liquid

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #23 on: 01 December, 2020, 10:45:11 pm »
I've been using the very strangely named Supcase Unicorn Beetle on my Google Pixel 4A 5G. It is a one of the two piece cases that has a clear front to cover the screen.
So far I have been very impressed and it also come with a massively over the top belt clip arrangement which the chicks do, indeed, dig.
Allegedly.

https://www.supcase.com/collections/iphone-12
Everyone's favourite windbreak

citoyen

« Reply #24 on: 01 December, 2020, 11:11:08 pm »
I ended up getting a Mous 'Clarity' case because they had a good offer on the case + screen protector. Happy with it so far. It's pretty sleek.