Author Topic: Finding files that don't seem to exist! (Win10)  (Read 1096 times)

Finding files that don't seem to exist! (Win10)
« on: 29 December, 2020, 04:14:13 pm »
Ok, I've been playing with a video ride app for use with my smart trainer - specifically FulGaz.  Because reasons the streaming video won't work for me (despite working on BigRingVR and Rouvy), but the option exists to download files to a local drive, and run them from there. So far, so good. Rides/videos can be downloaded in two ways. Either to the default folder on a local HDD, or alternatively to an external HDD. The latter requires knowing the ride name, and going to the web page to select and "save as". So far so good, but theres also the option to save from the app and then cut/paste (if you want) to the external drive. Except is cant "see" the default download location in file explorer.  It exists, because I did a search on part of the location name (which is C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Local\Packages\BizarMobile.FulGaz_asxhtrxdca8p2\LocalState\ridevideos). I can see C:\Users\Dell but no "AppData" folder or anything further. What am I stupidly ('cos it bound to be bloody obvious  ::-)) missing?

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Finding files that don't seem to exist! (Win10)
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2020, 04:29:55 pm »
Also can use the shortcut variables for the appdata folder. ie type %AppData% in the Explorer address bar or search box. That will show your app data roaming folder. Also %LocalAppData% for your local folder.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2020, 04:39:35 pm »
Have you got explorer set to show hidden files?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10-97fbc472-c603-9d90-91d0-1166d1d9f4b5#:~:text=Open%20File%20Explorer%20from%20the,folders%2C%20and%20drives%20and%20OK.

And if it's not showing hidden files, it's probably not showing filename extensions either.  Changing those settings is one of the first things I do when I've got a fresh Windows system, because they inevitably bite you in the arse later on.

« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2020, 04:48:31 pm »
Have you got explorer set to show hidden files?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10-97fbc472-c603-9d90-91d0-1166d1d9f4b5#:~:text=Open%20File%20Explorer%20from%20the,folders%2C%20and%20drives%20and%20OK.

Thanks, I guessed it would be hidden but didnt know the route to "expose" them - even the instructions ( in typical microshit fashion) that you linked to arent exactly right, but close enough  :thumbsup:

ETA: I also found out how to add the folder to the "quick search" option in explorer.  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)