Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 513998 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Cherries always used to be lovely, the ones I've had recently have been bland. Probably I'm getting old, when I were young and all that. Hopefully, find some for sale direct from the farm on a country walk. We did get some in the US from a farmers market last week and they were so gorgeous I think I ate about 5kg of them.

5 kg of cherries... When we were down in the Aveyron in 1999 a chum & I got through about that many, from a local orchard.  Next day we did a 25-km walk on the moors, and only the discovery of an open restaurant halfway round stopped it turning into a splatter movie. That evening chum's missus lifted the crate off the table to disclose a healthy population of grubs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

We've had some truly lovely cherries from the farmers market.  They're from Norbury's in Worcestershire, several counties away, but I'm so glad they come over to Rugby.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Our first this year were Spanish, mid-May, then south of France, late May to early June. Thereafter the harvest moved up the country: our local ones came in in late June. Dunno where the current ones are from - the way the climate's going it's probably Reykjavik.

The strawberries are pretty rubbish, though, even the gariguettes were disappointing.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
DINSDALE!!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Tonight I'm staying at a Premier Inn, due to work.  I dined at the attached Brewers Fayre (I note they've dispensed with the apostrophe).

I had Beef Yorkshire Wrap, so you don't have to. Allegedly it was "Pulled beef brisket in creamy horseradish wrapped in a Yorkshire pud! Served with chips and gravy."

In reality it was a pancake with shredded beef.  It was Not Good.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I cleaned and cooked fresh trout for dinner.  Forgot to clean my teeth. Now having a pint in the Kings. Which consequently tastes foul.  :sick:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Just booked a restaurant for my birfday, in Berlin next Sunday.

The English description:
tulus
Welcome to tulus lotrek,
where you can eat 6, 7 or 8 course menues and get tipsy while you do that.
Looking forward to assist you with that:
your lotrekkies.

PS: Batman would eat here.
[/center]

Just FTR, they wrote a lot more in German (which had me struggling in places), but no mention of Batman.

tulus
An alle militanten Bacchanten, sich das Brett-Geber mit Fettleber, Gürtelweiterschnaller, Korkenknaller, liebe Alleswoller & Nichtsbereuer, wir sind das tulus lotrek und weil wir dieser Tage häufig gefragt werden, warum das eigentlich der Fall ist und was wir damit meinen, wollen wir's hier kurz erläutern.

Ein Wort zur Namenspatronage

Wir verweisen damit mehr oder weniger deutlich auf Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, der vielen in erster Linie als Maler und Grafiker der französischen Belle Epoque bekannt sein wird. Uns ist viel wichtiger, dass er ein großer Fresser war, der auf seinen Reisen Schiffskombüsen an sich riss, legendäre Dinnerparties für die Pariser Halbwelt schmiss und das obligatorische Einstecktuch im Sakko - den berühmten Bauhaus-Funktionalismus hellsichtig vorwegnehmend- durch eine Muskatnussreibe ersetzte, um die 4-12 Gläser Port, die er am Tag benötigte, um auf Betriebstemperatur zu bleiben, jederzeit aromatisieren zu können. Wir schreiben ihn "falsch", damit uns keiner auf "klassisch" französische Cuisine festnageln kann.

Außerdem halten wir's auch küchenstilistisch mit Toulouse-Lautrec, den zaghaft-subtile Aromenspiele und federleichte Gemüseküche niemals ins Auswärts getrieben hätten. Stattdessen geht’s um Geschmackstieftauchen und Intensitätsgipfel-Erklimmen und so lassen wir neutrale Beilagen, deren Existenzberechtigung sich höchstens aus dem Sättigungswunsch des geneigten Genießers ableiten ließe, konsequent zuhause (Eigenreflex im Bedarfsfall: noch zwei Gänge ordern und die nächste Buddel Wein entkorken!)

Das war die Vorstellungsrunde und nun wollen wir auf den Tellern halten, was wir im Einleitungstext versprechen! Einen schönen Abend für Euch und all jene, die Ihr am liebsten doppelt seht!

Ihre Lotrekkies

T42

• Apprentice geezer
 :thumbsup:

Häppy Birfday im Voraus.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Our milkman delivered two pints of organic unhomogenised whole milk yesterday, instead of of usual ordinary semi-skimmed.

I didn't shake the bottle. It was too creamy to leave the bottle until I broke up the cream.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
unhomogenised whole milk

I'm slightly amazed that such a thing exists in 2019 (outside of niche hipster craft dairies). Even when we were getting our milk delivered from a local farm, it was homogenised.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
unhomogenised whole milk

I'm slightly amazed that such a thing exists in 2019 (outside of niche hipster craft dairies). Even when we were getting our milk delivered from a local farm, it was homogenised.

Organic, delivered by milkandmore (95p/pint), had to break the cream up with a teaspoon handle to pour it.

Waitrose sell unhomogenised whole milk. Or they did a couple of years ago.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
unhomogenised whole milk

Organic, delivered by milkandmore (95p/pint), had to break the cream up with a teaspoon handle to pour it.

Homogenization hadn't been invented when I was growing up - we always had to upend the bottle to mix the cream through.  Unless the blue tits hadn't been at it first, of course.  Our milkman used to put the milk on the pantry windowsill, under a length of slate my dad had fitted so that it just cleared the bottle-tops.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We didn't have homogenised when we were growing up, though it was available, it cost a little more.

I'm not sure when I started getting semi-skimmed but it appears most people get this now.

unhomogenised whole milk

same here, it is real milk. Takes me back to when the first person down in the morning got the cream on the cornflakes.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
unhomogenised whole milk

same here, it is real milk. Takes me back to when the first person down in the morning got the cream on the cornflakes.

+1
Dad used to love his 'top of the bottle'
I think his late mother had Channel Islands (Gold Top) milk most of the time.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Ours was Co-op, delivered by an electric milk-float with "Belfast's Safest Milk" blazoned on a board along the top and "Tuberculin Tested" on the side.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The milk sold by our LCS (local corner shop... ) is unhomogenised, but very rarely anywhere near as thick as Helly describes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Waitrose sell unhomogenised whole milk. Or they did a couple of years ago.

Still do, my daughter fights for the top of the milk
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Our milkman delivered two pints of organic unhomogenised whole milk yesterday, instead of of usual ordinary semi-skimmed.

I didn't shake the bottle. It was too creamy to leave the bottle until I broke up the cream.

Milky Milky!  :sick:

The problem I find with unhomogenised milk in plastic containers is that the cream sticks to the sides and is difficult to extract. Shaking it doesn't seem to help much.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #3149 on: 07 August, 2019, 08:36:56 pm »
That song contains unquestionably the finest single line of smut in the history of pop music, viz:
“You got the horn so why don’t you blow it”

I mean, the whole song is pure filth but that’s a particularly splendid line.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."