Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518518 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I've just received a press release about "a water-based drink aimed at busy millennials".

Somebody shoot me, please.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Avocado squash?

citoyen

Avocado squash?

No, but that sounds like a brilliant idea for a get-rich-quick scheme.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
There must be lots of money in "an air-based breathing mixture aimed at <insert target demographic here>."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

And, you thought you were   joking, eh?

Somewhere, on a shelf, I have a gift which I was given roundabout the turn of the last century.
It is a can of C20th air.
I have, so far, resisted the temptation to approach it with a tin opener.

Cudzoziemiec

https://www.oxygenbars.co.uk

ISTR the first were in Tokyo c1980?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
https://www.oxygenbars.co.uk

ISTR the first were in Tokyo c1980?

I remember reading about them in a Ladybird book or similar.

That they haven't installed one in [Mordor] Grand Central is a curious failure to exploit an obvious business opportunity.

Cudzoziemiec

Related to which, somebody was telling me they'd been in Paddington (the station, not the bear, silly!) recently and wondered why it smelled so odd. Then they realised – there wasn't a single diesel train in the place!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Going off at a tangent, I started, at the beginning of last year, planning menus and shopping for the week on a Saturday (this helped tremendously with weight loss etc).

At the beginning of this year I started posting the menus on bookface every Saturday morning, just for fun.

I received so many positive comments on them, and other food posts that I moved them all to their own page.

I now have >50 people following the page, which makes me feel good, the positive comments keep coming and I am posting more and more about my kitchen exploits.

Not bad for an IT professional!

For the curious, it's here: https://www.facebook.com/TheFoodGrp It's a public page, so feel free to follow/like/comment.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Perhaps there should be a "Whats your colleague having for lunch" thread. Prompted by one of mine making Wotsit and Marmite  sandwiches...  :-X
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Going off at a tangent, I started, at the beginning of last year, planning menus and shopping for the week on a Saturday (this helped tremendously with weight loss etc).

I've always (as in the last 40 years..) planned the weeks menu's, and shopped accordingly. (I still got fat tho!  ;D). When my now-wife (the second one) found this out, she told her son. His response - "Yes mum, most normal people do..."  :D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I don't really plan menus.
I don't place my Sainsbury's online order every 7 days; it's somewhere between 5 & 12 days between deliveries, whenever I feel I need Stuffs delivered.

I hunt for special offers in advance and pick those that seem best for me.

ian

I cooked a big curry a couple of weeks back. It was nice (though I confess I've had better). But Jesus and his merry chums, my kitchen still smells like an Indian restaurant. I cook curries quite a lot, so I'm not sure why this one has been supremely persistent.

I cooked a big curry a couple of weeks back. It was nice (though I confess I've had better). But Jesus and his merry chums, my kitchen still smells like an Indian restaurant. I cook curries quite a lot, so I'm not sure why this one has been supremely persistent.

Time to clean/change the cooker hood filter?

ian

Mmm, I should probably put those in the dishwasher. It's not a bad smell, it's just persistent where other curries haven't been. It was just a mix of minced garlic and ginger, some mustard seeds, cardamom pods, and fenugreek.

Well it's usually the filter when that happens in our kitchen. The spicy oil seems to cling to it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Those things get really vile when you "forget" to do them for six months. Ours usually have to go through the dishwasher two or three times.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Some two decades ago, I migrated from Salisbury to That London, into a house previously occupied by Curry Lovers.

Giraffe attacked the place with Strong Detergent and spent many, many hours removing an adherent aromatic yellow oily residue from everywhere.

OK you 'orrible lot, which one of you has my vanilla pods? I always have some in stock. (A Mexican version of a flan caramel, as you ask)

citoyen

(A Mexican version of a flan caramel, as you ask)

What, topped with frijoles?

How come that in Sainos, you can buy a single vanilla pod in a glass container, with a label which says 'Product of more than one country'  ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
How come that in Sainos, you can buy a single vanilla pod in a glass container, with a label which says 'Product of more than one country'  ???

;D ;D ;D

Newspeak for 'unspecified origin, one of several we CnBA to list'.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
I tried to make a vegan meringue with the water from a tin of chickpeas.  Erm let's just say I won't be trying that again soon #UnmittigatedFailure

(A Mexican version of a flan caramel, as you ask)

What, topped with frijoles?

Now, there's a thought, the frijoles are cooking as I type. It's with added cream cheese as it happens.