Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518527 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
When people put things in ovens, why do they "pop" them in?
Can you pop things into any other things? (NSFW ----->)
Pills?
I would say "pop to the shops" or "popping out for a bit", but for putting things in the oven I'd normally say "stick".

I have vague recollections of some Learned Nursing Journal publishing Study into the use of 'pop' by Nurses...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
When people put things in ovens, why do they "pop" them in?
Can you pop things into any other things? (NSFW ----->)
Pills?
I would say "pop to the shops" or "popping out for a bit", but for putting things in the oven I'd normally say "stick".

I have vague recollections of some Learned Nursing Journal publishing Study into the use of 'pop' by Nurses...

Oh yes, anyone who has spent any time in hospital can surely relate to this!

Pop this in your mouth, pop this under your head, pop this up your bum...  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
There was a lot of popping in my house growing up.  I thought it was maybe an Norn Iron thing, but perhaps it was the nursey influence.

Interesting (FCVO interesting) that this is the opposite to the way computer scientists use 'pop'.  Having learned assembly programming on an architecture that used 'pull' for this, I note that you can really wind people up with "pop it onto the stack"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
A machine I used at uni had a hardware-implemented stack for subroutine jumps/returns. EE KDF9
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I think 'pop' is overused when talking of colour, or visuals generally.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Sometimes I wish manufacturers would just put up prices, as needed, rather than shrink the product and hope that you don't actually notice, despite the packaging being super baggy & product noticeably smaller...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

An afternoon meeting with a former work colleague led to us re-visiting Queens Bistro https://queensliverpool.co.uk/home/ .  We were customers long before Jay Rayner reviewed the place.   https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/mar/27/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-queens-wine-bar-liverpool-a-very-nice-time-indeed

We both had the mozarella with anchovies & parsley, then I had mackerel with watercress & horseradish whilst Steve had bavette steak with peppercorn sauce.  The waiter said this was medium rare......  I like my meat twitching and this was on the limit !   £120 inc 4 glasses of wine is towards the top end of what I'll pay for a meal out.    Whilst there I messaged a friend who lives around the corner, inviting her to join us. She responded with a story denigrating the personal habits of one of the staff and declined....

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Who told you about the snot ?    That's what my friend mentioned !   I think it was some form of butter reduction.   

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
A good vet could have that back on its feet by tomorrow  :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The waiter said this was medium rare......  I like my meat twitching and this was on the limit !

"Hide it under a pile of green shit and maybe they won't notice we haven't cooked it properly"  ::-)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Was going to say I can beat that but I'm not so sure:

That was off a beef rib, done 24 hours at 50°C, chez yrs trly.

Hope yours was tender: bavette can be old boots if mishandled.

I'm sure we've done the "you're supposed to chew bavette" discussion before (and I agree with that sentiment).  It does look like it's a "watercress with everything" style - at least it's not parsley, but it is lazy.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Every portion comes with 6 metres of dental floss.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Mr Sainsbury's website has been EXTREMELY flaky tonight.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jul/20/a-funeral-for-fish-and-chips-east-neuk-fife-anstruther-scotland

I think my parents get fish & chips as an occasional treat.   I think the last time I had a portion was when I was touring around the Norfolk coast in May last year. 

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Chippy Tea is still a staple at Fort Larrington when the Prof and I go a-visiting though I wish the chippy in question would improve its chips a bit.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jul/20/a-funeral-for-fish-and-chips-east-neuk-fife-anstruther-scotland

I think my parents get fish & chips as an occasional treat.   I think the last time I had a portion was when I was touring around the Norfolk coast in May last year.

I attended to my Unfinished Business at the Mariners Café, New Quay, Ceredigion, last year...

ian

It's been a long time, though there are two local chippies and they seem to have a queue when I pass them on Friday evenings, though to me, eating at 6 pm is an abomination and they're closed when I'm hungry (surely they're post-pub food, but one them closes at 9.30 pm and the other 10 pm). Plus they don't do delivery and I'm fundamentally one of those lazy people that relies on a man on a moped on the few occasions we get takeaways. I'm pretty sure the last time we had fish and chips, and some years ago, there wasn't much change from £30. I am making myself hungry now.

Nostalgic too, remember a childhood when Friday night was chippy night, and my gran would send me across the road with a couple of bowls and a plate to be filled with fish, chips and mushy peas, and we'd wash the lot down with ample sugary pop. Oh and student year specials of chips, rice, and a fritter with curry sauce from a chippy that, I kid you not, was actually called 'Chinkies.'

They shut at 10 precisely to avoid the post pub crowd.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Chippy Tea for three at Fort Larrington is less than £30 coz the portions of chips are gigantic so you only need one.

Irregular Friday at work.
Dirty? Filthy.

Having seen the above, it makes me appreciate how hard food photographers have to work!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Hurrah! New tongs! I can once more turn sossidges over with getting burned fingers :thumbsup:

Tomorrow I'll find the old ones.

ian

Fish, chips and curry sauce. Oh my, the best thing ever. Southerners raise an eyebrow though.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Hurrah! New tongs! I can once more turn sossidges over with getting burned fingers :thumbsup:

Tomorrow I'll find the old ones.

Fingers?