Author Topic: ***CoronaBonus***  (Read 64917 times)

Re: ***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #300 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:15:30 am »
Bored Russians in lockdown recreating famous paintings

https://www.facebook.com/groups/izoizolyacia/permalink/2542865082629427/

Best facebook group ever

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #301 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:17:03 am »

Best facebook group ever

Great use for stockpiled bog rolls!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #302 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:18:09 am »
On Twitter there was a woman whose parents were doing the same thing and sending her the pictures.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #303 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:37:09 am »

Best facebook group ever

Great use for stockpiled bog rolls!

Loads of them have toilet rolls in the picture somewhere.

Typical crass Russian behaviour. Always going for the ostentatious display of wealth.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #304 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:07:32 am »
Thousands of British homes will be paid to use electricity during the day for the first time, as wind and solar projects produce a surge in clean energy during the coronavirus lockdown.

On Sunday morning, windfarms contributed almost 40% of the UK’s electricity, while solar power made up almost a fifth of the power system. Fossil fuels made up less than 15% of electricity, of which only 1.1% came from coal plants.

That's rather interesting.

From https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/05/thousands-to-be-paid-for-daytime-green-electricity-use-during-lockdown

All that tells you is that industrial consumption is temporarily reduced and that entirely as expected, gas fired power stations have been turned off, temporarily.

This coming week is likely to be sunny, but less windy,   
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #305 on: 06 April, 2020, 12:26:42 pm »
https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/1247105883131305986?s=20

Cats vs Toddlers.    :thumbsup:         Look at the first one, and be glad house cats are not a bit bigger...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #306 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:31:08 pm »
Just had an emergency food/provisons box delivered. I honestly wasn't expecting it.
This followed a recent phone call from my GP surgery asking if I was ok, and one from
the Council enquiring about my wellbeing*.

*(A long term asthma sufferer, who has been told to stay in isolation for 12 weeks.
Start of week 3 today).

rob

« Reply #307 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:51:28 pm »
Thousands of British homes will be paid to use electricity during the day for the first time, as wind and solar projects produce a surge in clean energy during the coronavirus lockdown.

On Sunday morning, windfarms contributed almost 40% of the UK’s electricity, while solar power made up almost a fifth of the power system. Fossil fuels made up less than 15% of electricity, of which only 1.1% came from coal plants.

That's rather interesting.

From https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/05/thousands-to-be-paid-for-daytime-green-electricity-use-during-lockdown

All that tells you is that industrial consumption is temporarily reduced and that entirely as expected, gas fired power stations have been turned off, temporarily.

This coming week is likely to be sunny, but less windy,

Prices dipped negative for a few hours yesterday.   Demand is very low and there was loads of wind and sun.   There will be more of this over the Summer if demand stays as is.

Of course, pretty much no households were paid to use power during this time as they are on fixed tariffs *.

* I know of 2 suppliers that offer this and only if you are on a smart meter with half-hourly settlement.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #308 on: 06 April, 2020, 02:41:11 pm »
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #309 on: 06 April, 2020, 04:15:27 pm »

Best facebook group ever
I think we should recreate famous internet shock sites. Lemonparty is easy, Tubgirl probably feasible if you have enough orange juice and a funnel, Goatse is a bit more challenging.  I might have a wedding ring somewhere to get the ball rolling.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #310 on: 06 April, 2020, 06:01:43 pm »
Getty Twitter thread on the recreating paintings
https://twitter.com/GettyMuseum/status/1242845952974544896?s=19
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #311 on: 06 April, 2020, 06:17:34 pm »
Some of the big AirBNB landlords (of the type who have driven up rents in city centres due to their large portfolios) are finding that contrary to their belief, their business wasn't risk-free easy money after all.

GC

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #312 on: 06 April, 2020, 07:44:23 pm »
https://twitter.com/DanielRosney/status/1247085420296450049

I sincerely hope that UKGov follows the NZ lead on this important matter.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #313 on: 06 April, 2020, 08:37:11 pm »
The dark soot that normally settles on our window sill has vanished. I don't know if this is due to the general drop in traffic or just because the bloke who normally parks his rattly old Peugeot diesel underneath our window and likes to "warm it up" in the morning has buggered off somewhere. Or maybe he's just moved his parking spot, I don't know.

Of course it could be another reason altogether but it has coincided with lockdown.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #314 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:13:05 pm »
The dark soot that normally settles on our window sill has vanished. I don't know if this is due to the general drop in traffic or just because the bloke who normally parks his rattly old Peugeot diesel underneath our window and likes to "warm it up" in the morning has buggered off somewhere. Or maybe he's just moved his parking spot, I don't know.

Of course it could be another reason altogether but it has coincided with lockdown.

Probably tyre rubber. I used to work on Felixstowe docks in a portakabjn doing IT. Our temp accommodation was right in the middle of the container handling area and our desks used to be covered in tiny rubber particles from the tyres of tugs, HGVs and straddle carriers.  Just like soot.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #315 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:40:13 pm »
In the 1950s, in London, my bike used to collect black soot on the steering tube.

During the 1958 bus strike, which lasted six weeks, it stayed clean. There weren't any light diesel vehicles then, just buses and heavy lorries.

« Reply #316 on: 07 April, 2020, 07:43:56 am »
A relative suffered a cytokine storm during which his life was seriously at risk and although he recovered he is on a lot of pills and has to be very careful. In effect he takes each day as it comes and of course is on the 12 weeks at home list.

One problem is that due to the rarity of the condition it hasn't merited much research. Due to cytokine storms being a feature of CV19 attacks such research should get more priority.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #317 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:15:17 am »
Some of the big AirBNB landlords (of the type who have driven up rents in city centres due to their large portfolios) are finding that contrary to their belief, their business wasn't risk-free easy money after all.

GC

To be fair, it was risk-free, just isn't now!

Gongi to be interesting. I think the whole question of refunds is an interesting one - whether it be airlines, Air-BNB etc.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #318 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:23:11 am »

GC

Gongi to be interesting. I think the whole question of refunds is an interesting one - whether it be airlines, Air-BNB etc.

It'll be more interesting when the company doesn't exist. I don't think the average ticket buyer will be the top of the creditor list.

rogerzilla

« Reply #319 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:51:23 am »
In the 1950s, in London, my bike used to collect black soot on the steering tube.

During the 1958 bus strike, which lasted six weeks, it stayed clean. There weren't any light diesel vehicles then, just buses and heavy lorries.
The stuff on the Tube is supposed to be from the brake linings, isn't it?  Gives you black snot.

« Reply #320 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:51:47 am »

GC

It'll be more interesting when the company doesn't exist. I don't think the average ticket buyer will be the top of the creditor list.

I think you are right. I still haven't heard from my small tour company - I think they hope I'll pay anyway.  I think I might sacrifice the deposit.

« Reply #321 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:52:33 am »

The stuff on the Tube is supposed to be from the brake linings, isn't it?  Gives you black snot.

And used to contain asbestos.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #322 on: 07 April, 2020, 10:46:52 am »

Probably tyre rubber. I used to work on Felixstowe docks in a portakabjn doing IT. Our temp accommodation was right in the middle of the container handling area and our desks used to be covered in tiny rubber particles from the tyres of tugs, HGVs and straddle carriers.  Just like soot.
I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. Combustion particulates would presumably be finer. We're not even on a main road...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #323 on: 07 April, 2020, 11:11:44 am »
Years ago used to live in a house with the rear facing the Marlow Bypass. Window cills were constantly being coated in black dust. Lord knows what it will be like now.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #324 on: 07 April, 2020, 11:32:41 am »
With the recent reductions in the Bank of England base rate down to 0.1%, my mortgage rate
went from 1.34% to 0.84% and now 0.69%. I am now only paying 90p per day in interest. :thumbsup: