Author Topic: 27€ well spent, even it was just brake pads and cables.  (Read 1682 times)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
27€ well spent, even it was just brake pads and cables.
« on: 11 April, 2008, 04:48:18 pm »
I know plenty of you will say I could have saved myself 27€ by doing it myself or got it done loads cheaper. But anyways here goes, I realised as I had to swerve to avoid a car while riding my really old hybrid bike today that the brakes were well over due being looked at.

So I got home and found the front cable almost shot through, and in fact it snapped as soon as I took pliers and allen key to it. The pads front and back were worn right down. So I chucked the bike in the car and went off to my LBS.

As a steady stream of customers (mostly french teens with flash MTBs in need of something) came into the shop I thought I would have to wait ages to get this fixed. But no, he took a quick shufty at the problem and said come back at 5 (it was 3). I came back to find new cables, new pads, and lo a thoroughly working bike brake wise, and all for 27€. Very satisfied.

Funny thing is last time I went in with my Bianchi, for which they replaced the bottom bracket. Good to know you get good service with flash and knackered bikes just the same.

Re: 27€ well spent, even it was just brake pads and cables.
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2008, 07:39:41 pm »
my lbs took less than an hour to fit new brake calipers, brake cables and front fork to mrs alecetc's bike. far less time than it took me to re-cable my bike, having purchased some proper cable cutters. but at least i can just buy new bar tape and cables from now on, saving about £20 a time.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir