Author Topic: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday CANCELLED  (Read 65548 times)

Martin

Re: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday
« Reply #300 on: 11 April, 2019, 03:43:10 pm »
Entries nudging 75 a bit down from previous years but I expect a lot of peeps are going for a 300 instead;

which will it be this year a headwind out or back? (it's never been from the E or W)

The ferry operators are still going and looking forward to welcoming you aboard.

Please be courteous (and careful!) as you pass the foot passengers on the steps down and up.

There will be someone at the start after 0800 if anyone's on a later train

They've changed the cycling route a bit in Kings Lynn town centre but still best to follow the route along the river bank as per the route sheet.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #301 on: 11 April, 2019, 08:36:48 pm »
I'm looking forward to my third time on this ride. And it will be my first ride towards PBP after not starting The Winter Boat trip back in February.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #302 on: 11 April, 2019, 08:51:21 pm »
The Wee McTaggart and I will be tandeming round. Plenty of room on the back wheel...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #303 on: 11 April, 2019, 10:19:20 pm »
Hoping to give it a go again after not starting last year :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

« Reply #304 on: 11 April, 2019, 11:26:06 pm »
The Wee McTaggart and I will be tandeming round. Plenty of room on the back wheel...

Excellent; that'll save my legs for the jog around London I'll be doing eight days later  :thumbsup:
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #305 on: 15 April, 2019, 01:23:43 pm »
Weather looking good.

Martin

« Reply #306 on: 15 April, 2019, 03:01:21 pm »
Weather looking good.

I'll believe gentle N winds off The Wash when I see it!

Just one alteration from the route check; the second R@T before Holbeach St Matthew info has no signpost, but it's Eastern Road

« Reply #307 on: 16 April, 2019, 06:38:03 pm »
Weather's looking good. This will be my first 200km since the big 7zero, so I will definitely be saying Hi to Fidgetbuzz.
No need for anyone to worry too much about the Mont de Whittlesea - when I lived there as a child it was 3 feet above sea level and I don't think it has moved much since then. The spelling of Whittlesea might be a clue to something or other.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #308 on: 16 April, 2019, 07:26:29 pm »

Excellent; that'll save my legs for the jog around London I'll be doing eight days later  :thumbsup:

Let us know your bib number and we'll track you and give you a cheer - spectating for a work colleague!
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Martin

« Reply #309 on: 16 April, 2019, 08:43:55 pm »
95 entries  :thumbsup: I'm also pleased to be able to donate £1 per entry to Help for Heroes

will keep entries open but online entry only no bits of paper on the day please  :)

4 nice big Lindt bunnies await Bun-bola at the finish (plus any little ones from the DNS)

« Reply #310 on: 17 April, 2019, 01:20:40 am »
I'd entered but now can't make it  :(
Enjoyed it last year and was looking forward to it, maybe some other time.
If anyone fancies staying over I have a Travelodge room booked just up the road in Fenstanton that's now going spare. PM me if interested.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #311 on: 17 April, 2019, 12:06:24 pm »
Let us know your bib number and we'll track you and give you a cheer - spectating for a work colleague!
Cheers. I'll be #1515

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #312 on: 17 April, 2019, 12:16:34 pm »
Weather's looking good. This will be my first 200km since the big 7zero, so I will definitely be saying Hi to Fidgetbuzz.

Sorry to say .. I will not be there .. I swore that Nic's Cambridge ride was my last audax .. no compelling reason to do a Redgrave yet.... but just maybe maybe. Now significantly closer to 80 than 70.. so you still have a fair bit of catching up to do !!!!
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #313 on: 17 April, 2019, 03:39:52 pm »
I’m in after a two year arrow break.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #314 on: 18 April, 2019, 05:34:55 pm »
I've taken Martin's excellent gpx track, added the controls as waypoints and broken it into two parts (with King's Lynn being the split). If anyone wants them the files are here:

Part 1 to King's Lynn: https://sites.google.com/site/youngadamski/200s/Double%20Dutch%20%282019%29%20Part%201.gpx

Part 2 back to Huntingdon: https://sites.google.com/site/youngadamski/200s/Double%20Dutch%20%282019%29%20Part%202.gpx

Martin

« Reply #315 on: 20 April, 2019, 10:47:51 pm »
All done here weather tick wind tick daffs hmmm bit underwhelming but a big field and almost everyone finished. If anyone's wondering what the actual Wash looks like you won't see it from this ride I did go up to the bank and it's all land the other side too

Thanks everyone  :)

αdαmsκι

« Reply #316 on: 22 April, 2019, 09:33:43 am »
Cracking ride in amazing conditions. Thanks Martin.

Martin

« Reply #317 on: 22 April, 2019, 11:39:55 am »
I found the mythical tulip fields near Kings Lynn yesterday so I'll take it past them next year if you all promise not to jump over the fence and take selfies among them like everyone was doing

« Reply #318 on: 22 April, 2019, 11:48:40 am »
 ??? I hope that they were at least on tiptoe ???

« Reply #319 on: 22 April, 2019, 01:51:51 pm »
Thanks for the great organisation, relatively new to audax and really enjoyed the route  - glad the headwind was during the outward leg! Tulips next year sounds good.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #320 on: 22 April, 2019, 01:57:47 pm »
Cracking ride in amazing conditions. Thanks Martin.

+1, and thanks to Ann for running the Bunbola ;D

Next stop, Capitals of East Anglia..

« Reply #321 on: 22 April, 2019, 04:21:39 pm »
The Team MK duo (although one of us was in ACME kit) thought we were lanterne rouge on the way back to ‘spoons, but we were pipped at the post (in reverse) by another pairing. It was great not having the following headwind I remember from the last time I did this.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #322 on: 22 April, 2019, 07:30:38 pm »
A quick hello to Caroline who I rode with from just after Holbeach St Matthew to Crowland.  Could you please drop me a PM.

Having ridden the Double Dutch several times over the past 6-7 years, Saturday's ride was a golden moment of enjoyment.  Just a slight reminder of the awfulness that could have been with a slight headwind as we rode from King's Lynn to Holbeach St Matthew. I also  think the general advise for the ride is missing the recommendation to bring a jigsaw puzzle for the Crowland to Ramsey Heights stretch, Que Sera Sera.  A marvelous day's ride in place of something that has in past years been a true ordeal.

« Reply #323 on: 22 April, 2019, 07:45:35 pm »
I also think the general advise for the ride is missing the recommendation to bring a jigsaw puzzle for the Crowland to Ramsey Heights stretch...
As I've said before, including to Martin at the finish, the run home from Spalding, including that stretch, is in many ways my favourite bit. Partly because it's the bit I know best, and partly because you can see the finish approaching. In Saturday's clear weather, I got my first view of the Ramsey Heights on the descent from Whittlesey. The run to Crowland along the banks is always good. And the two short hops to Thorney and then Whittlesey leave you with the Heights getting ever nearer.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #324 on: 22 April, 2019, 08:05:22 pm »
A quick hello to Caroline who I rode with from just after Holbeach St Matthew to Crowland.  Could you please drop me a PM.
Hello to you too... thanks for the company, it was a very enjoyable ride.