Author Topic: Crossing borders with a car - log book question  (Read 1614 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Crossing borders with a car - log book question
« on: 06 August, 2018, 10:27:38 pm »
I could email any number of embassies about this, and after waiting weeks might get some vague answers that bear little relationship to actuality, so instead I'll ask YACF and get a better answer much quicker.

My son is driving to Mongolia with a friend in an MX5 (TheMXFarmers). Currently they are in Tajikstan.

For reasons that I don't know, said friend has decided that he wants to fly home and my son has decided to continue on his own. Now the possible fly in the ointment is that although they bought the car together and both of them are insured to drive it the log book had to be in someones name, and it's in friends name.

Given that he's still got to go through Kyrgyzstan, kazakstan, Russia, Mongolia, Russia, Latvia (I don't know why his list of countries ends there) is he likely to encounter any difficulty at border crossings if they examine the V5 and it's not in his name?

I did suggest a much more pleasant two wheeled holiday, but he insisted on this.....
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Crossing borders with a car - log book question
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2018, 09:47:14 am »
I have no idea about the ins and outs of border crossing in the former Soviet On!on but imagine his list stops at Latvia as that's where the EU starts.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2018, 11:33:36 pm »
It may require a change of keeper with the DVLA and waiting on the postal service of $whichevercountry. I guess he will find out at the first border crossing . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Zipperhead

« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2018, 01:11:17 am »
I've since had contact from him (meant to stay awake long enough to update this thread).

I'm not sure whether it was the suggestion that he use cable ties to restrain his friend in the passenger seat and stuff a sock in his mouth, or stop at the next village in Wherethefuckarewestan and offer a fistful of dollars to borrow the village goat for half an hour, but friend is now staying to the end.

His next question was could I find the cheapest way to ship a car or two back from either Mongolia or Moscow.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2018, 07:36:20 am »
That ^^^ would require a (hopefully) large credit transfer from *istan to UK.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2018, 08:23:09 am »
... .or a large lorry to carry the goats.

Something like this https://www.anyvan.com/vehicle-delivery/car-delivery/how-transporting-a-car-overseas-works suggests a £2,000 bill

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2018, 08:39:58 am »
Drive it back or sell it/leave it behind.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Zipperhead

« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2018, 11:13:01 am »
The problem with leaving it is that they or the new owner would be hit with a bill for import tax. That's why his original plan was to drive it back via Russia, Latvia, northern parts of yurope.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8 on: 11 August, 2018, 12:43:14 pm »
The problem with leaving it is that they or the new owner would be hit with a bill for import tax. That's why his original plan was to drive it back via Russia, Latvia, northern parts of yurope.

There are a few strange laws out beyond that Europe.  Like registering a car beyond a certain age.

Maybe find someone who wants a bit of sillyness and travelling the reverse route?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: 14 August, 2018, 06:34:52 pm »
3 D printer ??  of said friend !   :thumbsup: