Author Topic: Field & Trek sale  (Read 3944 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Field & Trek sale
« on: 22 June, 2009, 01:49:17 pm »
I've just bought a pair of walking shoes (Karrimor) reduced from £69.99 to £20.99. Also, perfectly good walking socks, also by Karrimor, reduced from £12.99 to £3.99.

The entire Wowbagger household has been kitted out in new shoes.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Field & Trek sale
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2009, 02:07:40 pm »
did you buy online or visit a shop?  I'm having so much foot trouble that I hesitate to buy without a decent fitting but I need a new pair of walking boots/shoes.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2009, 02:15:09 pm »
I went online. I bought 12s (I'm normally 11 or 12) and there's plenty of room in there. Mrs Wow had 8 - she's normally 7. They do take stuff back for the postage. On the odd occasion I've got the wrong size I've taken them back to the shop.

For the amount of saving, I thought it was worth the risk. A few years ago Dez and I eavh bought boots in the sale - reduced from £120 to £70. They are really good. I notice that they've got ladies' Brasher Hillmaster reduced to £70 at the moment. I't have bought some fro Mrs Wow except she's already got two good pairs of walking boots, bought previously in F & T sales.

« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2009, 03:39:39 pm »
I've just bought a pair of walking shoes (Karrimor) ...

I bought a pair of the Karrimor trainer/walking shoe things recently in a Factory Outlet shop.  Paid just over £20.  (Karrimor Border 83 if you're interested )

After a few weeks of use my heels have worn through the inner of the heel  >:(    Big hole that has sharp edges and gives blisters.   I had to use the shoes this weekend so they've been filled with mastick and gaffer tape.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2009, 12:58:07 pm »
I bought a pair of the Karrimor trainer/walking shoe things recently in a Factory Outlet shop.  Paid just over £20.  (Karrimor Border 83 if you're interested )

After a few weeks of use my heels have worn through the inner of the heel  >:(    Big hole that has sharp edges and gives blisters.   I had to use the shoes this weekend so they've been filled with mastick and gaffer tape.

Karrimor went bust a few years ago and the name got brought up by another company. Karrimor branded stuff that is now on sale in the shops isn't the same as what was on sale 5+ years ago. I've got some old Karrimor stuff and it's been great, but I won't be buying any new Karrimor stuff.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2009, 01:01:55 pm »
I had something similar happen with a pair of KSB (Karrimor) shoes I bought recently, lasted me about 4 weeks of 12 hours days at work before the heel collapsed and they were assigned to bin duty...

It is strange though the pair of KSB eVent boots I bought 4 years ago are still going strong ???
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: 23 June, 2009, 01:05:35 pm »
My KSB boots last exactly two weeks in the Chimanimani Mountains before the sole split. My Royal Marines boots lasted 2 years there.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2009, 01:06:21 pm »
I'm a bit dubious of these modern hybrid 'shoe' things. I bought some KSB at a tiny price in a sale recently, and they're OK, but I fear they'll fall to bits one day.

And there is nothing they are good for that I couldn't wear 'proper' boots for. We'll see ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2009, 03:31:42 pm »
I bought a pair of Karrimor waterproof trainers. After a few weeks use I had a sensation similar to something in my shoe. I turned it over to discover the sole had worn clean through under the ball of my foot.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #9 on: 24 June, 2009, 09:29:02 am »
Well, thanks for the warnings, chaps. If these shoes do disintegrate in the near future, F & T will be hearing from me for selling goods "not fit for purpose".

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #10 on: 24 June, 2009, 09:40:35 am »
As has been said, Karrirmor were taken over by somebody else and aren't nearly as good as what they used to be.   However, their KIMMlite brand was (I believe) subject to a management buyout at the time, so that's still good stuff.

« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2009, 11:08:57 am »
I'm a bit dubious of these modern hybrid 'shoe' things. I bought some KSB at a tiny price in a sale recently, and they're OK, but I fear they'll fall to bits one day.

And there is nothing they are good for that I couldn't wear 'proper' boots for. We'll see ...

I bought a pair of these whilst on my way to Shetland in June 2007 on my annual cycle-camping tour.   I ride my tourer with toeclips.   The shoes have done 14 weeks of cycle touring / walking having just returned from Orkney and have become my regular day wear in the last 18 months.   They are also my winder cycling shoe of choice.   The soles are just about giving up.   I've tried other brands including Meindl, Zamberlan, Karrimor and Berghaus in this type of shoe but never managed to find one that will last more than six to nine months. 

I'll be buying a new pair sometime before my next Shetland trip next June...

« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2009, 11:13:20 am »
I just bought a new pair of Berghaus Gore Tex hiking boots and gave them a good test out doing the Welsh 3000's on the weekend.  I won't be rushing back to wear my old Scarpa SL's again.
It was like wearing ankle supporting stiffer soled trainers.  No blisters, no discomfort, kept the water out, let the water out.  £80 mind, but £80 well spent.

I follow the old adage "Always spend well on beds and shoes - you're usually in one or the other most of the time."