Author Topic: Rail card discounts  (Read 961 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Rail card discounts
« on: 25 October, 2009, 09:04:42 am »
I have a network card which costs £25 for the year and within an area loosely described as "SE England" (the old BR Network South East) I can get discounts on rail fares, subject to certain restrictions.

I can't get discounts before 10 a.m. on weekdays. Also, my understanding was that I can't get weekday discounts to a value lower than £13 after the discount has been applied. At weekends there is no time restriction or lower limit on the fare value which can be discounted.

However, twice recently I've had a discount on midweek tickets. On both occasions it was a Friday and we'd travelled from Prittlewell after 1 p.m. That means that we have to buy a Permit to travel, the ticket office being closed, and pay the difference at Lpoo Street. When Mrs. Wow and I went to The Cycle Show, we paid about £23 between us for travelcards, and on Friday Dez & I paid £17.70 between us for cheap day returns.

I'm not complaining, I'm just confused.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Rail card discounts
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2009, 09:30:37 am »
Imagine how confused you would be if they hadn't simplified the system last year!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2009, 10:06:22 am »
This is one of the reasons I rarely use the trains. I don't understand how to do it (or more to the point - what I will pay)

I think the rail companies need to think about the impact on their business of this confusion.

« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2009, 10:35:19 am »
Did you get Dez a child's fare? ;)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.