Author Topic: Frame Refurbishment - Raising Handlebar Height.  (Read 1206 times)

Frame Refurbishment - Raising Handlebar Height.
« on: 08 July, 2020, 08:38:22 pm »
I have a 1995 vintage frame that's a bit tatty. If I'm going to spend ££'s on enamelling I would like to open options to raise bar height and tidy up the current bodge of a  1" quill with ahead adapter and 110mm stem. Wondering whether to get the fork converted to 1" aheadset with more options for spacers but worried this a rabbit hole of obsolescence. 

Re: Frame Refurbishment - Raising Handlebar Height.
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2020, 08:46:25 pm »
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2020, 09:07:10 pm »
https://www.velovitality.co.uk/products/nitto-technomic-225-tall-quill-stem also comes in a 26.0mm clamp version. I have a less extreme variation of this stem on my Frezoni built for PBP99. Still doing its job.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2020, 09:22:17 pm »
choice of stems here

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stems-1-222mm-quill-threaded/?length=110

filtered for 110mm length

cheers

« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2020, 10:32:06 pm »
Thanks all lots of options there...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2020, 10:41:27 pm »
One thing to keep in mind is that Nitto measure their stems differently to most manufacturers. Most measure C-to-C length along the top surface of the extension. Nitto measures C-to-C length along the side of the extension, so their measurement is about 5-7mm shorter than when measured along the top surface.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2020, 10:42:23 pm »
If you elect not to convert the fork to aheadset and want a tall 1” quill, I have the one linked to by LWaB. I don’t use it and it’s in excellent order.

If interested I’m happy to sell it at significantly less than the cost of a new one - let me know. It’s one of many parts I’ve been meaning to sell for ages.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #7 on: 09 July, 2020, 12:09:15 am »
Hi Aidan,

I refurbished my Dawes Galaxy with the Humpert Kobra Vario Tube Adjustable 1 Inch Quill Stem - 25.4mm Clamp. It was around 90-100mm too long for my liking. I had bought the longer stem as I had no point if reference, as I didn't know the size, or how I should measure my old quill stem. I ended up cutting off 90mm with a hacksaw. But it had plenty of scope for any height I wanted as I could just cut off what I didn't need.

Show us your finished project.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 09 July, 2020, 02:04:32 pm »
1" A-head is a bit of a technological dead-end; the market has pretty much decided 1" = threaded and 1 1/8" = threadless..  Velosolo do long quill Zenith stems in a couple of sizes.

You can also have a longer threaded steerer brazed in and add spacers under the locknut.  With a steel steerer you can have several inches of spacers if you want.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 09 July, 2020, 04:24:58 pm »
...You can also have a longer threaded steerer brazed in and add spacers under the locknut.  With a steel steerer you can have several inches of spacers if you want.

I wouldn't.

The steerer wall thickness is less than half wherever the steerer is threaded.   It is important that the quill extends further down than any threaded region on the steerer, else the steerer is liable to break in service (bad).

cheers